Incorrect Roleplaying

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Incorrect Roleplaying

Post by Neon Nights on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:17 am

So I made a post about powerplaying and godmodding, but I've seen a sudden rise by just looking over my screen with a random nickname like- Oh no, I'm gonna give myself away, am I?!?

But today we will be exploring more. If you didn't see my post on godmodding and powerplaying, go right now since I won't be covering it.

Metagaming: The act of using information and knowledge that your character would not actually know. Metagaming has multiple levels in which it can be done in, and they can vary depending on what a RP decides to allow, here's a few examples of levels of Metegaming.

- Technical/Ability Metagaming: A character knowing everyone's abilities and powers without having seen them used, and knowing how to combat them.

Example: Aris the Mage conjured a blast of arctic air upon Loretta the Warrior, repeatedly doing so since she knew from her profile that she was weak against the cold northern air.

Think of yourself as a god watching down from the sky. Unless Aris has witnessed Loretta being hurt by Arctic wind, which she hasn't because apparently her source is Loretta's profile. Unless you, the god, randomly floats inside their dreams or something and saying, "Loretta's weakness is the north wind" Aris would have no idea rather than she took the bull by the horns and did that.

Storyline Metagaming: Events that have occurred in a RP that your character was not a part of are off limits to your character until you actually are briefed upon them in-game.

Example: Georgio the Paladin leaves after dealing with issues with an Evil Empire on an epic journey from his homeland for a week; during that time, a violent battle ensues at his homeland, the citizens are slaughtered, his parents captured and taken away, and the city burned down to the ground. Georgio returns and immediately charges off to the Barbarian tribes nearby, knowing they are the ones who actually attacked his homeland.

How the heck did Georgio know that? Unless someone said during his adventure to him, "Hey Georgio! Your homeland has been burnt to the ground and your parents were captured and the Barbarian tribes!" which hasn't been mentioned in the post, mind you, he would be left clueless.

Retconning: The act of determining that an action that happened in the past didn't actually happen. Retconning is very harmful to a character's storyline development as it essentially pulls out a point of history for the character that can leave plot holes, and it is very hard for players who actually witnessed the event being Retconned to just outright forget about it...in fact they shouldn't have to, as their own characters will have been affected by the same event as well. There are two primary forms of Retconning:

Deliberate Retconning: When a player does not like how an event occurred, they may want to try and write off that experience so as to maintain their character's image, this is the common reason as to why Deliberate Retconning would occur, and it ruins the experience for everyone involved, except of course for the character that's doing the Retconning.

Example: Douglas got into a fight with Brandi after their date last night, Brandi stated during that event that she never wanted to see Douglas again. The next night, Douglas approached Brandi and started swooning over her, talking about how he wanted to take her on a date. Brandi mentions how last night's date went, to which Douglas mentions he never went out with her last night.

Look. If you've done something, unless you brainwash them or something, they won't forget, unless they're maybe really forgetful. If I got into a fight with someone on a date and they said "Never see me again!" I would separate myself from them. But Douglas, here, erases time and acts like the threat never happened.

Unintentional Retconning: The more common form of Retconning, which is most common in high-level combat Roleplays. Unintentional Retconning is failing to recognize the events of the last Roleplay actually performed, especially if it had a lasting effect on the character. In combat, this can relate to injuries the characters may have endured during their fights. However, Unintentional Retconning can also happen when a player simply "forgot" about something that happened previously, this is common to mistake among new players, and even some veteran players who come back after a long hiatus. Unintentional Retconning tends to be harmless, and is usually corrected pretty easily.

Example: Victor the Knight finished a long, drawn-out fight with a mighty dragon, struggling to get back to his home with a broken leg and a burned face. The next day, Victor is walking around his home town with a pep in his step, smiling and greeting everyone as he makes his patrol around town.

If you had a broken leg and "a pep in his step", I would think "Slumping and taking big jerky steps." Also, if he greeted everybody in town, why hasn't anyone said, "Hey, what happened to your face?"

Cheesing: Cheesing is a deliberate attempt to fill in a circumstance with an action that would favor the character implementing it, even though it was never agreed upon by both parties. The problem with cheesing is that it's usually a detail explained after-the-fact rather than having been declared during the Roleplay itself. Cheesing is very hated in most Roleplay communities because it demonstrates that a player is trying to be deceptive to other players...while they may see this as clever, it's in fact actually a form of Powerplaying.

Example: A fight breaks out between Yuki the Ranger and Jordan the Sorcerer, in which Yuki wins handily; she mentions afterwards that the poisonous arrows she has (which are not in her profile or explained in any RP post) made the fight easy for her.

As said in the example, Yuki never had poisonous arrows but poof! Arrows in a pinch. It would be OK if she did something in a seperate post about making them, but they just randomly pass into existence here.

All in all, by identifying Bad Roleplaying, players can recognize and correct themselves should they run into these sort of situations. If you experience another player displaying these behaviors, make sure to also let them know (preferably out-of-game) so they can correct themselves as well.

Last edited by Neon Nights on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Neon Nights

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Incorrect Roleplaying

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:46 am

hm... I like this Guide C:
Also you should rename to: Incorrect Roleplaying
or something else, I love this guide seriously its super helpful.

I think you should mention that it is vital of having a doc or a sheet for a character they have so that they couldn't forget or make up characteristics of their Character.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by needler on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:21 pm

[This reply has been removed by needler.]

Last edited by needler on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rella918 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:55 pm

I like this guide! I used to roleplay on World of Warcraft and I had this friend who would retcon things about her character all the time and it annoyed the shit out of me. Retconning is nothing like godmodding or metagaming but you should really limit how much you do it and be clear to the people you are roleplaying with, otherwise the people you are roleplaying with will get stuck in awkward situations where they have no idea if something still existed or it didn't. Anyways, I'm glad you touched up on that because not many people do.
Rella918

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Bump, more people need to see that too.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePeahen on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:29 pm

Well made, this was interesting to read. My piece of advice, that's just me being picky, is to make your post a little bit neater.

Try bolding words or your sub-title-stuff when talking about a different subject, so it's easier to tell when you've stopped talking about one subject and have moved on to the next. Other than that, thanks for writing this, it can help people become better RPers.

PurplePeahen

View user profile http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:26 am

I'd like to add that I have one of the most major RP plots going on in conquest right now, as a prelude-to-life scale of Lin Embers, my OC's parents and upbringing.

This helps me realize what to do, what not to do, and how to identify unhelpful players to my plot. Thanks, really.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptik on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:56 am

oml, this post is almost all of the struggles of roleplaying.

Bless you for posting this, you ascending angel.

If only this was sticky noted.
Cryptik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Bumping B├╝mping Badumbumping because more people need to see this
PyrrhonWheatley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content