Things you shouldn't do in Conquest...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Things you shouldn't do in Conquest...

Post by needler on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:22 pm

In the last few days I've participated in a few conquest roleplays and noticed some really common mistakes in both battling and roleplaying. Some of these were annoying to everyone, others simply made the rp harder to enjoy for either the ones who were actually making these mistakes. I made this post to 'highlight' these mistakes and maybe help you avoid them.

1. Not knowing the rules.:
This isn't as common as the other ones on this list but it is certainly one of the worst ones. When you 'see' someone in a roleplay you expect them to know what they are supposed to do and/or what they can not do. This isn't always the case, some people either fail to or just do not want to acknowlege these rules and guidelines.

This mostly happens in teambuilding or battling when people don't know or ignore the ban list. This may sound a bit hypocritic from the one who had no idea about the smooth rock ban, but there are a lot of worse situations than that one. You might think that simply telling someone that their team isn't usable in CQ would be enough, but it isn't. A few weeks ago I had someone arguing with me for over an hour because I told him that he can't have multiple legendaries on his team.

I ask anyone reading this to try to help people who don't know the rules of Conquest. Either direct them to the original document made by BK or explain the things they do not know about.

2. Ignoring the roleplaying of others.:
As many of you know, the lack of roleplaying in conquest is a huge problem, many people simply don't roleplay at all (Just to clarify, /me goes to kingdom 'CQ!' isn't roleplaying.), unfortunately that isn't the only mistake they make. They simply ignore any posts the other user made before. They do not bother to read them or simply ignore them after reading. Example:

Steel lord: Explains everything about their empire and states that it isn't a kingdom, neither is it only one settlement and he is an emperor not a lord.
Example type lord walks to steel kingdom and breaks down the gates "CQ!"

The simple statement that they are breaking down the gates, makes the whole action count as powerplaying which is a disgustingly bad thing to do. But not only do they powerplay, they ignore what the steel lord said, they ignore where they are, they simply don't care about anything, they don't even take the time to type out conquest.

Unfortunately, the newbies of the roleplaying room aren't the only ones doing this, many theoritically experienced roleplayers do the same thing, which makes the case even worse.

3. Criticizing unorthodox sets:
Many people can not accept any moveset or pokémon that isn't like their generic teams. Sometimes sets really get stupid and can be criticized respectfully. Simply stating that a physical gengar (which really is ridiculous) isn't viable and will not be too usefull in the long run, is okay but being rude to someone for using a pokémon tzhat not many people seem to use is terrible.

Example: Dark Lord Jimmy is using a skuntank on their team. They use it somewhat succesfully, they win some battles with it but their team isn't quite perfect.

Good way to criticize: I do not find skuntank to be particularly usefull, I'd advise you to use any pokémon instead of it to make your team stronger. [Insert pokémon name here.] would be a better alternative because [Insert reasoning here.].
Bad way to criticize: Lol, who uses skuntank? It's such a bad pokémon! It's almost useless, what idiot would use it in cq? Hahah

You might think that the second/bad example is just a joke, but it really isn't. Many people talk about teams in a similar fashion, just because they are not ordinary.
Allyson's Add On:

Here are some things Allyson (Ninetales) added in a reply previously, I think they are helpfull.
Note: These aren't things you shouldn't do, they are the exact opposite, good tips to help you.

1) It doesn't hurt if you carefully read the doc right? I mean it will totally help you while you play Conquest
2) If a person insists to do things the short and incorrect way why not adjust for the person if it's really unavoidable?
ex: Mr.Shortcut: *knocks at insert Kingdom name's gates* he shouts, "Open up!"
Mr. Adjustable: the gates started whirring, mechanisms seemed to have started, the gates of the insert Kingdom name started changing form... the huge gates became a staircase leading to the insert Kingdom name's Castle. The whole Kingdom of insert Kingdom name was huge vast....[continue with your desc of your Kingdom]

as you can see, it does not just simply let the wrong way do what they want but instead show them how wrong they are
3) For unorthodox sets, there are 2 types of unorthodox sets...First is the unusual but is actually good, these sets are similar to the generic sets but give a surprise to the opponents once they see the poke with this type of set in action. The second type is the senseless sets, these sets are totally not good, yes they can be shocking but most of the time these sets fail due to the huge gap difference on the effectiveness of this set to the generic one.
An example for the Unusual set is giving Choice Scarf on Mamoswine with Earthquake|Icicle Spear/Crash|Filler|Filler
An example for the Senseless set is having Special Dragonite with Draco Meteor/Blizzard/Filler/Filler

As Galom said below, not everyone can be good at battling, the third spoiler suggest this, but do not judge people by their battling skill, they might have a bad day or they may not be experienced at battling while they are better at roleplaying than all of you combined.

Last edited by needler on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:20 am; edited 2 times in total
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Things you shouldn't do in Conquest...

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:51 am

Imo rename the topic to: Why you're wrong during Conquest
or something like that xP
as for my ratings... This is very helpful, I like it...how about I also add some notes:

1) It doesn't hurt if you carefully read the doc right? I mean it will totally help you while you play Conquest
2) If a person insists to do things the short and incorrect way why not adjust for the person if it's really unavoidable?
ex: Mr.Shortcut: *knocks at insert Kingdom name's gates* he shouts, "Open up!"
Mr. Adjustable: the gates started whirring, mechanisms seemed to have started, the gates of the insert Kingdom name started changing form... the huge gates became a staircase leading to the insert Kingdom name's Castle. The whole Kingdom of insert Kingdom name was huge vast....[continue with your desc of your Kingdom]

as you can see, it does not just simply let the wrong way do what they want but instead show them how wrong they are
3) For unorthodox sets, there are 2 types of unorthodox sets...First is the unusual but is actually good, these sets are similar to the generic sets but give a surprise to the opponents once they see the poke with this type of set in action. The second type is the senseless sets, these sets are totally not good, yes they can be shocking but most of the time these sets fail due to the huge gap difference on the effectiveness of this set to the generic one.
An example for the Unusual set is giving Choice Scarf on Mamoswine with Earthquake|Icicle Spear/Crash|Filler|Filler
An example for the Senseless set is having Special Dragonite with Draco Meteor/Blizzard/Filler/Filler
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 pm

I would rephrase #3 into "you can't expect everyone to be competent at battling". It's no mystery that many users in our room are very inexperienced in competitive battling, as most of them come to PS to RP, not to battle. As such, users will make very large mistakes in their teambuilding, ranging from using shitmons like Skuntank to running bad sets like Choice Scarf Mamoswine, as well as in their plays.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Galom wrote:I would rephrase #3 into "you can't expect everyone to be competent at battling". It's no mystery that many users in our room are very inexperienced in competitive battling, as most of them come to PS to RP, not to battle. As such, users will make very large mistakes in their teambuilding, ranging from using shitmons like Skuntank to running bad sets like Choice Scarf Mamoswine, as well as in their plays.
I think needler put in "unorthodox sets" maybe because he was choosing his words and doesn't wan't to insult anyone
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

"Unorthodox" and "ineffective" are two completely different things.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Gracetail on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:54 am

Galom wrote:"Unorthodox" and "ineffective" are two completely different things.

Very true. Don't be afraid to try out creative and innovative sets, but don't be too surprised if they don't work. If someone's giving you a hard time about the choices you've made in your team, feel free to PM a moderator if you feel it's a bit too much.

A Lucario in a longcoat. . .  How dangerous could he be?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

Lux Gracetail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by needler on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:24 am

I've made many teams which only have pokémon people do not use regularly, skuntank was in one of them for example. I came into CQ with my little unorthodox poison mono with ridiculous things such as skuntank or accupressure drapion and won against most people who attacked me. ...Of course. after I beat a psychic mono, the lord of the type started raging and calling me a horrible player. I was called a horrible player, right after I beat a type I was weak to with a joke team, I was bad for using unexpected 'mons, I was called bad for beating them, so, how is that fair?

I think most pokémon are viable in some way, yes, even skuntank can be used.
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Gracetail on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:03 am

needler wrote:I've made many teams which only have pokémon people do not use regularly, skuntank was in one of them for example. I came into CQ with my little unorthodox poison mono with ridiculous things such as skuntank or accupressure drapion and won against most people who attacked me. ...Of course. after I beat a psychic mono, the lord of the type started raging and calling me a horrible player. I was called a horrible player, right after I beat a type I was weak to with a joke team, I was bad for using unexpected 'mons, I was called bad for beating them, so, how is that fair?

I think most pokémon are viable in some way, yes, even skuntank can be used.

Yes, most Pokémon are viable in some way, but most often, they are extremely niche.  Extremely.  Remember what worlds was won with?  A Pachirisu.  It should be noted that that was only with exceptionally good team support/what the team needed/it was doubles.  But, nevertheless, most Pokémon are viable in some way.  Though, I will eat my hat if someone makes a Magikarp viable.  Anyway, in those circumstances, contact a mod.

A Lucario in a longcoat. . .  How dangerous could he be?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

Lux Gracetail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MemeBeams on Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:56 am

Psst, you forgot to add 'losing' to the list, because when you lose(especially badly or by weakness hunt),

Conquest becomes Saltquest.
MemeBeams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:21 am

Also, may I suggest adding in a "Warning for when EVer Groups end up plotting together" section? (Or just a "How to Get Along in a Conquest Plot" section/thread?)
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikhail97 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:21 am

needler wrote:Bad way to criticize: Lol, who uses skuntank? It's such a bad pokémon! It's almost useless, what idiot would use it in cq? Hahah

No, no. It would have been :

"LOL TROPIUS NEW META"
"GOOOOOOOO TROPIUS" x10
"CANT HANDLE DEEZ NUTZ"

If attitude in battle chats during CQ gets counted in voices and promotions we would have 20% of the roster cut out

Mikhail97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by needler on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:39 pm

Honestly, people who harass users in battle chats should get muted in the roleplaying room.
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arensen (Gardevoir) on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:12 pm

needler wrote:Honestly, people who harass users in battle chats should get muted in the roleplaying room.

To the best of my knowledge, this is problematic since Battle Chats are not actually defined as part of the RP Room. That means that roomauth can't actually moderate in Roleplaying based on the user's behaviour in another room. While I admit that's a problem, I don't know what the best way to deal with it is.
Arensen (Gardevoir)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:21 am

The solution is to get a member of the Global Staff involved or to simply use the ignore spectators and ignore opponent button at the top of the battle log.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 am

Or maybe setup modchat and ignore every harassers so that people could stop criticizing & harassing you. But having poor attitude, especially in Conquest Battle Rooms, results to a warn/mute/ban, depending on the situation.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top