Floyd the Infernape

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Floyd the Infernape

Post by Existempt on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:21 pm

So, even though I have experience making characters for tabletop DnD, I've yet to make a Pokemon OC, so I'm currently working on a character.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D-vstv9K8NyGS8NSX5YcBKzI7h9mUwpFk5fSjhbY8k0/edit (Please message me if it isn't available)

It's currently in the works but right now all I know about my character is I want him to be very suave, perhaps persuasive, but not exactly quick to start conflict. I don't see Floyd as that kind of character. What I need help with is currently figuring out a backstory, I want it to seem as though he's broken, but not edgy, I don't want his background to reflect him as a person, so I started writing, and here is what I came up with:

While he's never truly had what one could consider a "stable home", what, with the lack of parental figures in his life and all, nevertheless, Floyd is no street rat. Having smuggled himself from any ship, cart or followed any troupe of adventurers he could find, Floyd has immersed himself in many traditions, regardless of his society's view of them. Seen as a "Half blood" or "Impure" by many of his own kind, Floyd has found himself comfortable in many spaces but truly at "home" in none, having a sense of restlessness that can only be satiated with the discovery of more places and the encounters he will have with more people. Will the fire for adventure ever be burn out? Who knows.

Could I have help expanding this/making Floyd sounding like a more well rounded/flushed out character before I start genuinely roleplaying with him?

(Also I've left a blank table by his portrait as I'd like to add relationships he has with other OC's. If anyone would like to establish one with Floyd, we could discuss that in any format that you find comfortable that is appropriate)

Last edited by Existempt on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Punctuation fixes)
Existempt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Floyd the Infernape

Post by Halohbottech on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Hmm...

Well, I'm always one for creativity but I have a hard time being creative myself, so unfortunately I don't know how much help I can be in this post.

However, as far as recommendations go, I recommend that you just look around. Read up on other people's OCs and backstory's, examine them, take them apart word by word. Until every single syllable makes sense, and you truly understand what that person's going for, or people, if you want to go big. Then, look at it from your character's perspective: understand how he'd see the situations they'v gone through. It may be tough at first, but over time, you'll begin to get better and better at it, and soon enough, ideas will start to flow, and your own backstory will begin to expand, becoming as extensive, or as small, as you want it! It's how I came up with all my character's backstories. After all, no single idea is truly original. We're all hard wired to be able to alter given information, but not all of us are hard-wired to create that information. I'm one of the latter, and yet I'm still a pretty respectable guy!

So take it from me: don't stress the backstory too much: look at what other's have done, decide what parts you like, twist 'em a bit to fit your character, then add a little of your pizzazz to make it truly yours! Sometimes, even just copying down a template you like for a character sheet, not for a character, can help you design your OC.

I know this was a lot to take in (it was hell to write, that's for sure lol) but trust me: it helps. It's how I've become a better writer.

In the end, though, so far Floydy Boy seems like a pretty interesting guy. A lot like Shadow, if he were an Infernape. When you start RPing in the future, hit up Flare and see if they can get along, eh?

Speaking of which, I have a backstory I need to finish...
Halohbottech

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum