Judging by the length of messages

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Judging by the length of messages

Post by needler on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Here we go!

I've seen much of this, interesting, but pitiful behavior, mainly in Kingdom. Some people judge others because their messages are really short, most likely one liners, others judge the ones who post multiple paragraphs or even just one paragraph to be entirely honest.

I do not understand the reasoning behind this, using one liners is usually something newbies of the room do, it's normal, you don't have to join them. But, really, you call someone's post shit because it consisted of multiple well written paragraphs?

Excuse me if I don't know the proper meaning of the word 'shit', but I think it means bad, how can a message that's good in both quantity and quality be bad? How can the maximum someone can make, because they don't have the experience to write more yet, be bad?

I'd like anyone who does the previously mentioned 'harrassment'-like actions to answer the last two questions. If they can't, I ask them to stop with their blatant criticizing.
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Judging by the length of messages

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Just, gonna drop this, even tho I am not any of the people that criticize. You can always, ALWAYS, make things more... Direct. Making 6 paragraphs about someone going through a door is anything but, exciting, interesting, or anything. Making a line about who is your OC isn't either.

I can understand how some might be sick of that, but I wouldn't use the word shit, like, at all. Parag-walls for nothing are but clustering even more a fast chat, and one liners, even if good for actions, are also used by newcomers for anything, not blaming. We should have a link to a 'how to RP in amphy' at this point.

Even if the problem is also in main.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Day of the Dead on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:30 pm

I apologize for complaints that I have made in the past, however Hydre does have a point. It's just that I hate how a lot of people don't describe their actions more than just "/me sees [insert]." It's very annoying for me and a lot of others, clearly symbolizing that they're not taking this seriously and aren't quality roleplaying which I prefer to see out of a lot of people.

However, seeing as opinions and explanations aren't allowed on the internet, I'll just... take my paragraphs elsewhere.
Day of the Dead

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDWU5FOc04

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:13 pm

I don't know why people don't like paragraphs for RPing. Having paragraphs is just making things specific and clear, but judging is something I don't do. Just because one does/does not paragraph it means they're shit, sometimes I actually feel offended when people would say: Just make a Novel.
Well I'm sorry if my paragraphs can't be good enough for you, I mean I use paragraphs so that anyone that would read them could really understand what's happening and they can jump in more easily if they want to.
But as I can see every single time I try to.... I'm getting more and more discouraged by how people act to length of a a RPers Roleplay.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Secret Potion on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:27 pm

One thing I don't like is that some people skim through paragraphs and don't read the important parts, leading to a lot of confusion.

Secret Potion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by needler on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Hydre, I understand how people don't like it when someone "overdescribes" (That isn't a word), their action, but I wasn't talking about that either. When I say paragraphs, I mean, well-written, straight to the point, but not overcomplicated posts. And yes, I agree, we need a "How to rp in amphy".
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:58 am

If someone isn't roleplaying the way you like, you aren't forced to roleplay with them, so long as you say no politely. That's all it comes down to.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by needler on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:55 pm

Galom wrote:If someone isn't roleplaying the way you like, you aren't forced to roleplay with them, so long as you say no politely. That's all it comes down to.

I know that and that's why I simply ignore the people who have a horrible roleplaying quality, do not confuse this with those who aren't posting long messages, because a one/two liner might just be good. OF course, when someone tries to join my character or whatever in a roleplay, I simply ask them to leave me alone for now.

But, most of the people obviously do not react in such way.
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UnawokenRhythm on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Well, Paragraphing is a way for people that are experienced in Showdown to store plenty of things they want, and we kind of inspire the new flood of joiners with our Paragraphs.

But do Paragraphs make you a GOOD roleplayer? No.

Really, It depends on the type of person you are. Most of us are accustomed to just scanning the chat to see what someone said. With the addition of people putting giant paragraphs plus the scrolling chat, it can be somewhat difficult. We can always scroll up and see what they say too, that's a thing.

But some people treat people that can't paragraph as not professional. Paragraphs should be more accustomed to an introduction for an RP, instead of every single line your OC quotes.

But of course, this is My Opinion, and I wanted to somewhat revive this topic. KP2 out.
UnawokenRhythm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SeriouslySkarmory on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:58 am

You know what I'm going to say? If one-liners get the point across, they're OK. If you need 200 words to get the point across, that's OK. Why would you judge ANYONE based on how much they write, small or large? Sure, writing 2 paragraphs about a rock someone's sitting on is too much. Explaining a whole life story in two lines is too little. But if it's what you need to get a point across, nothing more, nothing less, then don't criticise people for it. That's all I'll say on the matter, and I hope it doesn't need to be said again. Should we really judge anyone for the inability to bullshit their way through paragraphing a fucking EGG sitting on the ground doing literally nothing?

As for "How to RP in Amphy", Amphy isn't inherently a paragraphing room. It's just a room that people generally paragraph in. While the format of the room would generally attract more "elaborate" (more like longwinded in some cases) roleplaying plots and ideas. If you NEED a special guideline set for how to RP in Amphy something is wrong. Like, seriously, if someone were to make that it'd just become rampant with shitpost and it'd turn into a festering pile. Not what the community at large means.
SeriouslySkarmory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top