The steady progressive deterioration of the quality of the community.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The steady progressive deterioration of the quality of the community.

Post by Letter E on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:52 pm

It's time someone were to point this out.

The Roleplaying room's quality in terms of community is, as the title suggests, deteriorating.

I personally can compare trying to fit into the community for the first time, a week ago and about a year ago.
Let me share my story.

When I first discovered PS, I quickly grew tired of the lobby and its ridiculous antiques, so I found myself searching for another room to hang out in, make some close friends and the such. Then there at the top of the list, was "Roleplaying."

At first, I was at a complete loss. I walked into what was the remnants of what is known as Freeroam today; WL+T. To me - someone completely unfamiliar with the room -, I was completely overwhelmed. It was a magnificent sight to see so many people doing the common thing. My first ever message, I remember as clear today as I did then. "Hello."

What was truly amazing was the amount of responses I got. I don't recall the exact amount, but I remember at least 3 strangers replying. Without me even asking, one of them - who's name I don't remember (sorry!) - immediately messaged me and gave me a few pointers, mainly about OOC. At that moment, I thought about how nice the room was compared to the lobby. I stuck around for a while and just observed the roleplayers.

The next day, surely enough, I returned. In the non-existence of the Roleplaying Bot back then, I asked what RP was currently running, because I could distinctly differentiate the roleplaying that day and the day before. Almost immediately, I received a response.

One thing led to another, and now here I am, sitting snug in the community.

However, this story would have gone completely contradistinctory if it occured today. A week ago, I assumed the role of a newcomer, under the name of the alt I currently use now. Murder Mystery was running, and I - like anyone else would - gave my salutations. No response what so ever. I continued to ask about what was happening, for about 3 minutes. Still, no response.

Next, I tried a different approach and privately messaged the host (whose name I won't be calling out). Still, I got no response. I then followed up by privately messaging the co-host. I still didn't get a response. Giving up, I returned to asking what was happening, etc.

Only about 20 minutes in did a voice join (whom I won't be calling out either), who immediately helped me in a friendly manner.

...Apart from me liberating Astoria's {{ }}, that was pretty much it.

Comparing the two stories, at which moment of time would you prefer to join the community? I believe the answer is quite simple.

~~~

However, it doesn't end there. There is also the issue of roleplaying.
Honestly, I don't remember how the roleplaying back then went for the life of me, so I won't be mentioning it.

Instead, I'll give some examples. Please note these aren't real, and may or may not be dramatised.

/me walks in the forest.
/me goes to <type> kingdom.
*gasp* its <name>. he killed <other name>
yea i'm hungry. lets go eat something

Other than lacking adequate punctuation and capitalisation, they are really quite braindead.
Most roleplaying that I observe now is like when Luma gets tired and can't bother.

I'm not asking everyone to roleplay with paragraphs, or be as descriptive or diverse as Arti and Jasmine's roleplaying, but at the very least use punctuation.

~~~

What? It isn't over yet?

I'd also like to highlight the lack of thinking present in the roleplaying today. I can give examples in Murder Mystery, Conquest and even general RPing, but I feel that would be extraneous accentuation.

~~~

What are your thoughts on this rising issue? Any ideas on how to combat it?

(Unrelated) EDIT:

Something I forgot to mention:
In memory of LegendaryBoy

Last edited by Letter E on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Letter E

View user profile http://im-not-a-nerd.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The steady progressive deterioration of the quality of the community.

Post by MightyenaBoy on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:00 am

Overall? It's the sudden influence of younger kids entering the Roleplaying room. There's dozens of pre-teens who in general, don't understand how magnificent this room is. Instead of quality roleplaying, they'd rather enjoy closed plots and not know just how fun it can be to roleplay with others!

Another thing of course is all of that salt. Enough to overflow a salt flat if you ask me. With tons of complaints of 'OMG WEAKNESS HUNT' 'OMG HE CHEATED' (Which, in the most usual cases, was NOT cheating.), making it worse. Yes, we can't deny the deterioration of the Roleplaying room's quality, but what we CAN do is help build it back up step by step.

Articuno did classes in how to describe and roleplay in Rusty a while ago, I'm not sure if she still does these. Maybe we could also do something like this for those who want to learn more? It'd certainly help.

With classes in mind, our main goal would be to transform this:
The figure stood at the end of the road.

Into this!:
The figure stood solemnly at the road's end. A street lamp flickered ominously, and the atmosphere was thick with intensity and a hint of lingering doom.

Overall, we just have to try and help it rather than complain about it deteriorating, so come on and step up!

Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:25 am

Can I just...

Reserve this spot for my next Conquest Paragraphlog using Kikimora?

Thanks.

Also, I too joined when RP was mostly kind users and words. Everyone was so willing to help out back then and therefore should do so now. I've got almost two years of role playing experience under my belt, and I know that, with a little elbow grease and a lot of commitment, we can bring back the kind room this place once was.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:15 am

I just awoke, I'm on mobile, but I already did my point somewhere else, but I'm gonna go in even more detail here.

I know a LOT of persons, including me, that are trying to make it like when they joined. That work backstage, to help people, newcomres or not, in a daily basis. The biggest problem at the moment, in the room, is that those people are just ignored for the work they do.

Sure, there are a lot of young people joining. I enjoy RPing with them. Because, most of the time, they have different point of view, different ideas on different topics. Not the same generation, after all.

There are, however, issues that also have been pointed out. Simple example : I am asking since near a week for a simple thread in the news, for a more recent promotion one. Nothing. Near all the 'common sense' or, well, usefull things being suggested are ignored, simply.

Another issue is the amount of 'closed plots' in RPs like FR. This not only make it a pain to join them if you are a newcomer (I also did incognito tests), but also ruins the FUN of the roleplay. Sure, you may have a godmodding jerk once in a while. But most of the people I consider friends in the room? I met them in FR.

Last but not least, there is an issue with the end polls. All, ALL, RPs are ended at the 1st or 2nd endpoll. NO exception, unless there are 50 users. People vote for things, and get tired of them really fast. It has become impossible to have a structured RP on main. No clue about the situation in amphy, however.

Just my 2 cents. And there won't be a TL;DR.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Secret Potion on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:06 pm

I completely agree.
I joined about a year and a half ago, and you can clearly see the difference.
I'm not even talking about the quality of Role-Plays and grammar.

Secret Potion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Now Mighty, even though what you said is pretty applicable here,

With classes in mind, our main goal would be to transform this:
The figure stood at the end of the road.

Into this!:
The figure stood solemnly at the road's end. A street lamp flickered ominously, and the atmosphere was thick with intensity and a hint of lingering doom.

I do think that there is an issue of live posting makes it hard to keep a roleplay feeling consistant, as people have to type out everything. Maybe it's just me. Personally, I think MOST messages should be 2-5 lines. As stated elsewhere on the forums, one liners aren't always great, and 4 paragraphs to kill someone is too long.
PyrrhonWheatley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Secret Potion on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Indeed.
I don't think you need to detail the color, taste, smell, and feel of blood when you stab them with "[your] soft, purplish banana teal grey-orange sword that shines in the light and glows in the dark."

Secret Potion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Letter E on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:08 am

PyrrhonWheatley wrote:I do think that there is an issue of live posting makes it hard to keep a roleplay feeling consistant, as people have to type out everything. Maybe it's just me. Personally, I think MOST messages should be 2-5 lines. As stated elsewhere on the forums, one liners aren't always great, and 4 paragraphs to kill someone is too long.

Secret Potion wrote:Indeed.
I don't think you need to detail the color, taste, smell, and feel of blood when you stab them with "[your] soft, purplish banana teal grey-orange sword that shines in the light and glows in the dark."

Actually, I beg to differ; or rather have a midpoint to this.
Roleplaying - what ever is it, a sport(lol) or pastime - is, in my opinion, meant to be immersive. Being descriptive provides that sense of accomplishment and completion, a fleck of satisfaction.

However, this doesn't really depend on extreme descriptions. I personally love to use a more complicated vocabulary of words to paint a more vivid painting of the story I'm writing.

Instead of:
He slept on his bed.

I'd write something along to lines of:
The young boy huddled up under the covers that blanketed his petite figure. A dim light above gave a faint life to the mint walls that surrounded the four corners of his room. An air conditioner hummed lightly above.

...Descriptive, yet not too over the top. I don't have to describe the smell, because my persona is asleep. Smell wouldn't really matter.

Anyways, that isn't what this thread is about. Let's not delve in deeper.
Letter E

View user profile http://im-not-a-nerd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top