Room Revival.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Room Revival.

Post by WickTheTrickster on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Heya Everyone, Wick The Trickster here.

Now I haven't done much in RP room for a long while, now some of this has been because of personal drama and has been unrelated to this room, but the main reason? The room is dying a slow and painful death. I've asked around and I found it evident that I'm not the only one who thinks so. This room is nowhere near the former glory it once was, and at the rate we're going, it'll be just a distant memory.

However, I would hate to see this happen to what used to be such a lovely, and inviting room. I remembered when I was first here, it was a place that allowed me to meet so many people and be a bit happier with myself. The place was also just so fun to be in, So much so that I dedicated a lot of my time to the room. But now... what's left of it? It's just seems to be infested with these Idlers, Toxicity, And people who just don't have any heart in there RPs at all, making it just... disappointing.

However, while I can continue to cry over what we'er out now... I prefer to try to fix the issue at hand, and I want your help. Let's bring back the Roleplay room we all love, instead of leaving it to die and rot. For us to prevent that, we need ideas. So please, speak up. Let's try to bring back our favorite room.

I've come up with a few ideas myself, so I want to hear about what the rest of the community hears about them.

-Assisting New Members to RP Room
This is something that should be obvious, we're getting new people so lets help them in and make them feel welcome! This can go from just saying Hi to a new member, to giving them a run down on some good etiquette for the room, to a solid break down of the RPs. Point is, let's help the newer people out. People are noobs at one point, so lets help get them out of that state.

-Breaking "The RP Cycle"
Ok, So let's face it. There's a very bad cycle of Freeroam, Murder Mystery, and Conquest. This repetition it what drove some other people out of RP Room to begin with. Now some of those people may have transitioned into Amphy, but this doesn't mean we can still pretend the problem doesn't exist. We need to start breaking this Cycle, and get more people to host and participate in RPs like PMD, Uni, and Trainer. This, I hope, will bring a better freshness to RP Room.

-Supporting Custom RPs
Now I know Customs are really a wild card. They can be amazing, or fail horribly. But that's the risk you take and people can't improve without feedback... I would know. I understand AmphyRP is really the home of Customs, but even so, there's a lot of people who don't even bother going into Amphy to begin with. So, let's stop with the overdone RPs that everyone's seen before and try something New!

-Reworking Conquest.
Now, I know Conquest is by far one of the most popular RPs, but for what reason? I've made statements on this before how this is "Not really a Roleplay", and I still stick to that. Many times during a Conquest, the room will be reduced to OOC, and Host bolds. Now I don't want to see this go away, because on paper, Conquest is amazing... But in play, it's just empty.
WickTheTrickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Room Revival.

Post by MightyenaBoy on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:26 pm

In reality, the main reason it's dying is because we have an influence of newcomers who just want to RP with their friends, rather than make new friends and expand their horizons. This explains a vast majority of the closed plots in Freeroam and other Roleplays. Not to mention, people choose what they're comfortable with. They know what to expect in a Conquest, Murder Mystery, or Freeroam. University? Good versus Evil (Which has gained a bit of popularity as of recent) and other Roleplays can be rather uncomfortable to be in, due to being unpredictable in nature.

Another thing, you can DIE in some of these roleplays. Sure, Murder Mystery and Good Versus Evil both make sense. But Conquest? You're trying to roleplay as a knight and suddenly you're sent to your death by your lord. Why should someone be fodder that's carelessly thrown at someone when all they want is to have fun? (Most of the time at least.)

Plus, the customs. Sure, there's pretty good ideas out there. But if you have a good idea, it doesn't mean you're actually going to execute it well. Which is fine, but how will you learn if people don't let you host it? This is why Amphy and Custom Priority exists. So you can get to host that custom of yours and obtain feedback, rather than wait for the one time you can host it in Main.

Overall, people need to stop complaining that the room is dying and instead, think of ways to bring it back to its former glory. Because in all honesty, I'm willing to help if others are too.

Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:52 am

The Cycle actually exists since most people want it like that, since those are the RPs that are never dead most of the time, those are the RPs that most of the Roleplayers enjoy.
You can't just move in and remove them, they're like primordial forces
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:53 am

I'm gonna add something I wanted to add for some time. It isn't up to us, regs but 'normal' users, to do so.

Sure, we can bring suggestions and all. Sure, we can help newcomers. I'm the first one to do so. But we are, not, reference users. The one that are the best for this are the numerous voices or above, right?

Doesn't mean others can't help. But I saw people say things so wrong I pulled my hair out.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:21 am

Oh, and about the cycle. Endpolls every 15m after 20m. Most of the time, the 'rp' doesn't get to 1h.

I love that cycle, we can't rp. This problem is only present after 8pm, eu time, or near btw.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:57 am

Putting my two cents in now.

Back in early 2014, there was a voice. Now, we won't speak names. But this voice was given their status for being a great user, helping the new and confused users to the room's rules and guidelines. Skip ahead a few months, no one knows what the duck happened to the voice in question.

Said voice did come back, however, and is still trying to help out. Because they remembered the room for the kind, caring and innocent people and players in the room and all across our messed up world.

TL;DR: Do as the former voice is doing and assist to make the room less toxic and more newcomer friendly.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SeriouslySkarmory on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:30 am

Armored Chandelure wrote:Putting my two cents in now.

Back in early 2014, there was a voice. Now, we won't speak names. But this voice was given their status for being a great user, helping the new and confused users to the room's rules and guidelines. Skip ahead a few months, no one knows what the duck happened to the voice in question.

Said voice did come back, however, and is still trying to help out. Because they remembered the room for the kind, caring and innocent people and players in the room and all across our messed up world.

TL;DR: Do as the former voice is doing and assist to make the room less toxic and more newcomer friendly.

One of my top priorities has and always will be assisting newcomers to the room. When I first joined, I figured everything out for myself. All of it. I doubt most people really care to click all the room intro's links, though, so I always make it paramount that new RPers can at least find their footing. I can see where AC is coming from in this, because sadly not everyone is so readily accepting of new joiners to the room. Anyone who sees this, please join me in my pursuit to help new potential users experience the joy of roleplaying without getting yelled at by elitists.

While we're on the topic, RP elitists are just painful. These guys apparently think you need to paragraph in order to be a good roleplayer. I come from forum roleplaying sites and I could paragraph some of these fools to kingdom come, but I prefer short responses because you don't need 600 characters worth of info to reply to "Hello. How are you today?" You just don't. Of course, when I do paragraph it's usually to set up characters a bit, as I suck at describing setting. People who chew you out for not being very descriptive don't seem to understand that you don't need to describe everything to make a great story with engaging characters. I'm not saying the use of paragraphs is bad, but at least don't tell off the people who don't use them. Be courteous to your fellow roleplayers.

This has been a PSA from the scrubbiest voice around, SeriouslySkar.
SeriouslySkarmory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:50 am

WickTheTrickster wrote:The room is dying a slow and painful death. I've asked around and I found it evident that I'm not the only one who thinks so. This room is nowhere near the former glory it once was, and at the rate we're going, it'll be just a distant memory.
As someone who has been around for a long time now, I can say with confidence that this is incorrect.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninjasifu on Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:38 pm

I mean... I only came to Roleplaying for about... 4-5 months ago, and the cycle of Freeroam, Conquest, then something other than Uni or PMD, is getting really annoying. Now I have to wait in Amphy to participate in a Kingdom until the cycle is finished until FR. I'd say that we need something to fix that.
Ninjasifu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Former Hope on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:44 pm

The only real way to 'fix' it is for people to make more original, popular RP's. Which is not something easy to do, but I highly implore everyone to try.
Former Hope
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:14 am

Former Hope wrote:The only real way to 'fix' it is for people to make more original, popular RP's. Which is not something easy to do, but I highly implore everyone to try.

I know some people are actually working on very original docs (Mighty's PokeHigh, for example), but how does one run a RP if that RP is never voted, in profit of more mainstream ones?

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SeriouslySkarmory on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:06 am

Hydre(Hydreigon) wrote:
Former Hope wrote:The only real way to 'fix' it is for people to make more original, popular RP's. Which is not something easy to do, but I highly implore everyone to try.

I know some people are actually working on very original docs (Mighty's PokeHigh, for example), but how does one run a RP if that RP is never voted, in profit of more mainstream ones?

I may as well defend the RO here and say that everyone will eventually get a chance. Spy your opening. Go in for the kill and hope people enjoy. If they do, you may get voted again. If not, at least you tried.
SeriouslySkarmory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:46 am

I'm not gonna make quote chains, at all, because it's unbearable for mobile users, but I'll say this : when 110 users are on, do you believe people will vote for an obscure custom, made by someone not-that-known, or one that runs many times per day and is quite smooth? The lambda RPer will rather RP in something he already knows, for safety.

If we bring the subject on different trainer/etc docs, it, once again, is all relative to the PERSON that did it. Not the doc, or plot.

This is true near 99% of the time when people arrive, but, gotta admit, is still somewhat true at any given hour. (Except when rooms are dead).

And let's not talk about getting to host in amphy.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WickTheTrickster on Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:36 pm

To answer... well... everyone. Yeah, I never said breaking the cycle or creating new and interesting RPs would be easy, but it's possible. Also Toxicity is another thing entirely. While someone may be bad at RP, it's not something you can really fix if they don't want to be helped.

To be honest... I don't know what's going to fix this, but it's better then just leaving this room for dead. That much I'm certain of.
WickTheTrickster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Former Hope on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Hydre(Hydreigon) wrote:

It might seem impossible, but it happens. Murder Mystery came about that way. It was no where, then over the course of a few weeks it became popular.

Roleplays often rise and fall depending on people. Conquest for example, was rather scarce before Articuno came in (being a nobody at the time) and revolutionized the documentation for it. PMD used to be very popular and now I rarely see it.

But the point stands, the room is far far far from being dead. Fall (September to around December) tends to be our historic low point because a lot of people have less free time and go back to school. It picks up again around Winter Break, rises slowly during Spring (because rebels I guess) then we hit the most users during the Summer.
Former Hope
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next