Room Revival.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Room Revival.

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Although I agree a bit with Former, I had a miraculous idea that probably won't happen.

What if one day, we intentionally not run FR for 24 hours. That way, there's at least a larger chance of other RP's being picked and the cycle changing a tad.
PyrrhonWheatley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:10 am

Adding another comment in here.

If we're going to be talking original RPs, and not common ones, we need to bring out the RP that made MM a thing.

Big. Bad. Werewolf.

Being a host of the damned thing at the time, I can safely say it was semi-popular and voted half the time.

However, with time came obscurity, till it was forgotten. We'll have to thank some people for the creation of MM.

Anticapation: The maker of BBW. She, Anna Awesome/Emilyne and I were the 'clique' back in the early days. If it weren't for her, MM may not be a thing.

Myself: Yes, me. I have to put myself out there. Having been a BBW host, and now a pretty damn persistent MM host, I know how it feels to see one RP inspire another. Hell, I was probably the Plotmaster at the time for BBW.

Zester: The man of the hour. Zester made MM. He made one of the most popular RPs to date. While it was around at the time of BBW, it was also obscure. Then, one day, it was more and more popular. Now, it's a literal powerhouse and gives people a chance to host something which can make or break their hosting lives.

If we get another RP like that, I will be eternally grateful.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:09 am

Semi bumping this because although the room is a lot more lively then at the thyme this was an issue, there's still quite a lot less people here roleplaying and hardly any new people. Maybe it's the elitistic people/unfriendliness towards new people. Perhaps we should try to attract with a positive enviroment?
PyrrhonWheatley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkClaw(weavile) on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:15 am

Looking at this post, I can say that this is completely correct. The room is dying, and all that. It certainly is nowhere near as amazing as it was. However, instead of complaining, I agree that we should do something about it, such as integrating new users and including them. Problem is, that it requires a group effort, not an individual one, although still keep trying ^w^.
Also Former's point about MM is valid, AxeBane invented it, I believe? Anyways, a few RP's pass by, and the room is not dead, just dimishing slightly in quality perhaps.
The important thing is people come up with new ways to make the room more fun and enjoyable. Smile

DarkClaw(weavile)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:23 am

DarkClaw(weavile) wrote:Looking at this post, I can say that this is completely correct. The room is dying, and all that. It certainly is nowhere near as amazing as it was. However, instead of complaining, I agree that we should do something about it, such as integrating new users and including them. Problem is, that it requires a group effort, not an individual one, although still keep trying ^w^.
Also Former's point about MM is valid, AxeBane invented it, I believe? Anyways, a few RP's pass by, and the room is not dead, just dimishing slightly in quality perhaps.
The important thing is people come up with new ways to make the room more fun and enjoyable. Smile

Already trying this, over and over, but sadly not everyone joining comes with an open mind (I won't put examples with name, but some people are just trolls.) I believe new users have enough clues (.site, /rules), have enough possibilities to get helped by MANY users who are only waiting to help and show what the room is, but truth to be told, the room is one of the biggest trollbait ever. There's the problem of hosts that don't accept honest advices either, coming from multiple persons and not a single.

The room itself could use a bit of a lifting, but this isn't the biggest problem. As I talked with a few people (staff or not) in the room, there's also the general mentality of the room that needs to be changed, and I'm talking about main, not amphy. Everyone got his ups and downs, me first, but some people are, simply put, shoved away after being boo'd without getting any advices. It all depends of the hour, and the present people.

There's, to finish, the global hate towards given OCs (Generally, eeveelutions, Lucarios, Absols, etc). In the past, there have been numerous examples of bad OCs based around them, but there are also really good ones. Instead of shooing the majority, maybe shooing the people that have a... bad comportment (?) would also help. Yes, sometimes, it can be harsh. Yes, sometimes, it can also make you sound like a huge jerk. But being told you're doing shit is the first step towards not doing it.

TL:DR : The room could use a bit of a lifting, but so do the mentalities. I ignored Amphy, since this is a talk about the main room.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:02 am

I think hosts need to try in Rusty more often

Seriously. It's there. It's a great place to practice.
PyrrhonWheatley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Illario on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:04 pm

man, has this section always existed? i think i saw it before and skimmed over it... oh well i wont dwell on that factor.

this has to do with room revival, right? but really, whether the room needs revival or not- in this scenario at least- lies solely in the user experience. i'm sure some new users are having a blast seeing all the great things showdown's roleplaying room has to offer, so while it does come at the unfortunate cost of an increased number of clueless users (which results in the idlers and toxic users you often see) i think the tradeoff for having an overall more well known room makes it all worthwhile! after all, as great as it would be there's no real way to satisfy everyone when it comes to a situation like this, it really is impossible... though as Wick suggested, there are a few ways users themselves can make small differences via their actions to leave a positive impact and hopefully inspire others to follow suit.

there are some that you listed which i support, such as assisting new members and supporting custom rps. although in reality the reason custom rps aren't voted as much lies more in the preference of the users clueless to forums and not so much in the more frequent forum-aware users.

if one of you ever find yourselves trying to tackle that group i suggest you start at rusty, move to amphy once a fair amount of people like it (i'd say it's fine to CP in amphy every once and a while so long as there's a sign of progressive improvement in the custom), then eventually to main. that'll make it so that you'll have a group of people who are willing to support you to get it ran, and the more exposure it gets the more common main users will open up to it. hard work and dedication is the key to success within that aspect!

oh, and while you're at it, another suggestion i have is to be a bit more mindful of what staff says. no i'm not saying to praise them or call them 'senpai', that's stupid and dumb. and dumb. and stupid. what i'm saying is that when they ask for something as simple as 'Less OOC' or 'please don't talk about this', you should just leave what you're going to say for another time. i'm sure it really would make their lives a ton easier, and i wouldn't be saying it here if it wasn't a common sight even though to most of you i'm sure it sounds like common sense. and yes i know i'm guilty of it too at times, but consider this my attempt at trying to step away from that. after all, if you show respect to staff, even if it seems minor,  then not only will you be showing other users that they deserve said respect but you'll also earn their respect as well! it's a win-win. all the staff hate i've been seeing around the forums (which isn't anything too new but also isn't very pretty), i think it'd be even more appreciated.

to put it simply, we shouldn't be trying to revert the room back to its roots, but rather make it blossom into something even more beautiful than before. besides, who really needs the 1.3x hp recover anyways? ... ok i made a pun i guess id better flee now
Illario
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Day of the Dead on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:51 pm

As a two-year-old veteran user in this room I have to state and neutral presence. I believe people are just looking at the downside of the potential of the room (though it is a major aspect) and not the users who actually try to make it better, such as myself. I'm not naming anyone, but it is very true.

Two years ago, a frolicking little Absol hopped into the room known as Roleplaying. Amphy was barely alive and there was no Rusty. We had to have sixty percent of a vote to end a poll. You didn't have to submit an idea or even a doc to become a host of a roleplay; all you needed to do was PM to be on the host poll. Sure, the little Absol was ignored often, but she made oh so many friends during that small timeframe. Inspiring users such as Marxillious, Historia (Raichu) and many others were around at the time, hate being brought down on them for making them so popular. This was only minor, but it did leave a strange mark on those few people.

Fast forward about a year and a half. People came; people left. Smart and talented users left; ignorant and young users came in. As a one-year-old player currently, I felt uneasy because of the harrassment of other users. I was also harassed for liking FNaF. Others were too, just like Undertale fans today. I met Renata, who was my best friend at the time, and started to RP with her. I can share the story with her another time.

Skip forward to the school year and you have me as a Voice. Renata suddenly snapped and started to bash on me and other users as well. Others were also untying their demonic strings and attacking others (including staff, just like Renata). Which left me only to stare at the chaotic peril happening to innocent people over the internet.

Now, we've just got hate on RPs, hate on each other, complaints about end polls, and other things negative.

Now, just a simple reasoning that the room is turning so garbage is because no one puts in effort to RPing or hosting. My evidence to support this is because the hosts that are usually voted are only chosen for their popularity. I really don't want to share names right now because I really shouldn't, but it just pinches at me like no other. I spend about seven hours making an original plot and a pretty doc, per se, and some other host with just "dark MM" as their idea wins instead just because of their popularity. Call me salty or biased, but I'm very serious here. When the host actually hosts, they do improper, undetailed, HORRIFYINGLY GRAPHIC text that's apparently supposed to move along a group and describe their surroundings.

... not even going to get into the RPing and how "seriously" people take it. Anyway, I'm done now. Bye.
Day of the Dead

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDWU5FOc04

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:51 am

And this thread got rebumped, gee gj....
Anyways I haven't given my point of view

Well I'm practically one of those newer people. As I have seen I'm kinda sad really, I love this place I live and fight life to be able to visit PS! and the RP Room. Not focusing on my drama but in this dilemma instead, my solution for this is by having a good example. As you can see even if our staff have fully detailed are rules some people can't understand somethings because they NEED an example, like before a game there's a tutorial part that is interactive. It's really sad how I see stuff now, how people see "/me goes to person a's kingdom" as proper roleplaying... that really got me.
Sure we can set an example by simply being a good presence in the chat, but there is also bad presence in the chat so that might get in our way. A private room where we can redirect new users and teach them there ourselves would sound good but of course that'd be against the rules. So yeah basically I don't know how to set a good example.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:31 am

The reason we don't have better roleplayers is because NOBODY teaches the new people. I, for one, at least pm the link to the rules but I know that I would make a HORRIBLE teacher in roleplaying. When nobody teaches them, the new rpers take it apon themselves to try and RP and usually (not always) they don't succeed. It's hard to keep trying when no one helps you and people are harassing you.
PyrrhonWheatley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:47 am

Except some people try to help newcomers, but you already know my position about it, and what usually happen to said people.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:02 pm

The best way to learn and teach roleplaying is simply about leading by example. If you want people to roleplay 'better', then do it yourself. How many people have seen someone they think is a better roleplayer or a better host do something, and then thought "Oh wow I didn't think of writing like that I could do that!"

Seriously, the quality of the room has improved over the years and continues to improve. EVERY community I've been a part of has always had people saying "The community is dying" "The quality isn't like it used to be" and so on, but with the room hitting 200 users recently, us not just using but requiring 3 rooms and the impressive submissions we've received for both legendary permissions and our recent contest, I can say that's just your standard doom and glooming.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2