Prevention of RPs failing?

Go down

Prevention of RPs failing?

Post by Gryphon on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:56 am

I had this idea for a while now.

If there were a system to be approved for hosting, then I'm sure there would be less incidents of thirty minute set up times and bad hosts.

Like, you have to go under a sorta test-run before being able to host a specific RP. Let's say MM. Do a trial in RustyRP and if they are okay at hosting, they can host.
But if they fail dramatically, they have to wait.
Suggesting RPs: (might be too much for Lux saying as he breaks a lot of things, what a skrub amirite)
Having certain users being able to suggest non-FR variants. Like people who can host and who would like to host.

And maybe host training course things? I mean, it'd help kick a bunch of those lazy half-assed RPs out.
Gryphon

View user profile http://instantcena.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Prevention of RPs failing?

Post by SeriouslySkarmory on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:53 am

Sadly, it'd take a VERY long time to set this up, I feel. Having to make EVERY new host participate in a trial, especially with the growing userbase of the room, would be an ordeal. Plus, you'd need to keep a host database for all RPs, and... ugh. It's a cool idea, and I do agree that when an RP is hosted badly it can annoy a lot of people, but I think constructive criticism will help that from not happening again, rather than just blocking it from happening in the first place. I'd love to do hosting courses, though; this part of your argument has immense validity and should be carried through to someone who can schedule it.
SeriouslySkarmory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gryphon on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:05 pm

I see your point, I was really thinking about the system battle dome uses but they do have a significantly smaller player base.
Gryphon

View user profile http://instantcena.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PurplePeahen on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:48 pm

SeriouslySkarmory said everything that I wanted to say. But let's say it again, to get it through.

When there is a "bad" host, whether it's in CQ, MM, or even in a custom, it's not best to shun them away, and forget about them. What those hosts need is not to be ignored in host polls and have them think, "This room hates me, they never vote me."

That's not true, it's just that the room doesn't enjoy the hosting, not the RPer. Those types of hosts need proper, constructive criticism to help them not make the same, bad mistakes. That will make them into a better host, something that the room enjoys. If a CQ host were to mess up type-calling, by calling types one at a time, or neglecting the priority of announcing types with useless commentary, then they need to be told how to host properly.
Saying something like "It's better to announce types 3 at a time" is better than saying, "Don't vote [X], they're a bad CQ host."

I mean, having a "host training course" sound really interesting to me, but saying simple things to hosts who aren't the best can work just as well.
TL;DR Don't be shy, and tell hosts how to improve. In a kind way, of course. It's for the good of the whole room. And remember, with time they'll grow into better hosts, giving them tips and expecting them to be perfect the next day is an ideal for a fool.

PurplePeahen

View user profile http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:53 am

Hm, this is a great idea but I don't think making every host under go some sort of test can be easy. Rusty is always open if anyone wants to make a test run, and PMing a RO isn't that hard isn't it?

The idea of having RustyRP is kind of like the alternative for this idea since our room isn't really small unlike Battle Dome.

For hosts, they can also learn from observing a good host or they can take host training courses or by testing or by experience. But I think being a good host comes with being a good roleplayer, so learn to be a good roleplayer for assurance that you can host a RP in a correct and enjoyable way for the participants.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:42 am

If you don't like the "lazy half-assed RPs," then why are you electing them in main? Or if the presence of customs in AmphyRP is your concern, then you should probably reconsider your presence in AmphyRP, since highlighting and testing customs is its purpose.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Starbloom on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:55 pm

See, the entire issue with "bad hosts" isn't an issue that can be fixed in RPs that have a first-come-first-serve host framework.

An example of this is Conquest, which has a standard doc which means anyone can host.

I feel the best course of action isn't to say "you're a bad host, don't host anymore", but instead help them improve and see what they're doing wrong.

I don't feel there's a reason to have an approval-based system.
Starbloom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:58 am

I can't agree on an approval system, but a training course for hosts? Sign me up!

Although I want to address the obscure and often forgotten hosts.

One really great example of this is in MM. You see...

Say there are three hosts.

1: A well-known and amazing host, who is often voted.
2: A host in need of a little help, but otherwise good all-around. Tends to be forgotten.
3: A host who never hosted before. Got voted up as a result. Instantly, setup takes a while and so on, so forth.

Now, let's take a look at the docs.

Host 1's doc would be well-formatted, contain a detailed plot, a player table, a colour coding and a ratings board.

Host 2's doc would contain all of the above, but the plot would be a lot less detailed.

Host 3's doc may be a slapstick made in like 3 minutes, missing the core rules maybe.

So, do you never vote the third host again? No. Do you continue to forget Host 2? Uh, no.

If their doc is well-made, but not to an extent, you should never forget a host.

And, to be honest, training courses for hosts does sound good. However, we may need to have some Forme of a host recognition table or document. This will range hosts for certain RPs from "Best in the Business" to "Needs Assistance" to even "Still Learning".

That's just me, though, and my two cents.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum