Guide: Naming things

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Guide: Naming things

Post by needler on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Many things depend on how you name a character, a roleplay or even a town or pet. The name often includes your OCs personality by having a meaning related to it in another language. Say, I name a character "Crya" you'll suspect that it is related to frost. Names can be random, just make sure to say them once or twice out loud so you know how they sound. We'll go into details for everything below.

Characters:

You are in the roleplaying room and you want to play, guess what you need first? Yes, a character and what do they need? Names. Character names usually have a meaning behind them since all characters must have personalities. There are quite a few sites that can help you with naming a character, for example 'behindthename.com' has a very good search function and a ton of names.

You should avoid doing these things while naming a character:
-Do not "steal" a name from another roleplay
-Try not to name them after a canon character
-Be original, don't just name an umbreon 'umbra' or call a scrafty 'goon'.
-Your name should be fairly easy to say, no one likes a character named "Brithizi'l'oin".

Roleplays:
Roleplays are an entirely different story, not all of them have names which shall be taken as the real name of the place in the roleplay. For example: Calling a custom "Revolution" doesn't mean that the world is called 'Revolution'. The rp names I am going to be talking about here are the ones that aren't just the name of the land. A guide for that can be found below.

When you are naming your rp, you should be straight to the point. If your rp is about mutations and fallout shelter it's name shouldn't be "Mutations, Fallout & Shelters!". You could compress this into something creative like "Radiated - Shelter". Okay, I admit, that's not much better, but I think the point is understandable.

Things you shouldn't do while naming rps:
-Never, let me repeat: never leave an rp without a name. How do you refer to something without a name, hmm?
-Don't make very long names.
-Your rp's name should actually reflect what it is. Don't call an rp "Guns and Bows"' when it's about flowers and suns.
-The name of a roleplay should always be original.

Lands:
I'll refer to anything like a kingdom, an empire, a region or a continent as a 'land'. Naming the land of your roleplay is usually pretty easy, there are less things you have to keep in check here. First of all, your name should be easy to say, eexample: 'Liren' is a good name, because it's short and easy to say or type, 'Lire'thrien' isn't a horrible name, but most people aren't going to remember it in the first few runs. The name of a land might have a meaning, but this isn't too common like in character names.

Things you shouldn't do while naming lands:
-Do not name them after an existing country/city/anything.
-Don't give them too complicated names.
-Be original.

This topic will be expanded soon, sorry for the inconvenience.
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Guide: Naming things

Post by PurplePeahen on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Ah, something I'd like to add on as a tip.

Try having the name represent whatever it is your naming.It doesn't need to represent all the time, but it adds a nice touch. The name could represent the character's personality, backstory, or what they are. If it's a land, it could represent the backstory, or the description of the land.

For example, the name Caspian for a Manaphy is derived from the Caspian Sea. Could work for most water Pokemon, as well. This matches what they are. Naming a Flying gym leader something like Vyona works, as that name means 'sky'.
And as a last example, a possible name for a kingdom recovering from war is Spero, which means hope, which ties in well with the fact that the kingdom has lasted through a war and is rebuilding itself.

PurplePeahen

View user profile http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Cryptik on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:46 am

A quick and easy method to create a name for an OC is use Google Translate.

For example, say your OC is a Charmander. You could plug in the word "flame" in Google Translate and quickly switch it to another language like Latin or Japanese. Maybe even Croation.

It's a quick and easy method I've seen done before.
Cryptik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aroma Lady Sealy on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 pm

To piggyback on what Cryptik said, I use a site called Behind The Name. You can just plug in a word and get a good handful of names using that word in its meaning. For example my ladylike Mienshao OC is Freya, meaning beautiful.
Aroma Lady Sealy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top