Murder Mystery... or Murder Madness? ooo.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Murder Mystery... or Murder Madness? ooo.

Post by Illario on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Seriously though. I've kept the feeling suppressed for a while now, but I really need to say... what the hell is wrong with MM nowadays?

heh. excuse my 'foul' language there.

It doesn't make sense to me that what seemed to be intended as a fascinating detective-work roleplay about tracking an ever-changing and elusive criminal down has downgraded to, for the most part, exaggerated blood and predictable story elements. Not only that, but there's been little to no change in the formula of it! It's super-duper boring to see.

Of course if you feel differently that's all fine and dandy, but I would personally like to see some new mechanics added into the mix so that its more than "the killer used _ water type move so they must be water type" etc etc. I mean, there's more to a mystery than just the move used, right? Why not add in the use of... I dunno, the actual crime scene?! and even when trying to find the move used, why not leave some more room for investigation?

Let me put this into perspective for you with a hypothetical situation:

"ZZZCH! Instantly the group is blinded by a surge of light, illuminating the room in a blinding flash! It takes a couple dozen seconds for your vision to return, and once it does a chilling feeling travels up your body like a second jolt. Joanne's corpse lay limp in the far right corner of the room, a puddle of blood surrounding her and trailed back to where she'd originally stood. Heat travels by the group in an unsettling breeze, allowing you to take in the scent of her rotting corpse. Another murder... it's time to get to the bottom of things."

So at this point, Joanne, one of your fellow pokemon, were killed. Oh no! What now, right? So yeah, the biggest giveaway is the murder move, which judging from the blinding light before it this could be a electric-type attack or the move flash-- though if it were flash, how was she killed? In addition to that, see how I left other clues to be taken from? You could for example examine the corpse.

"Closer examination reveals that Joanne had no open wounds. She was bleeding from the inside..." Internal bleeding. This signifies multiple things.

a. it was a special attack
b. it was likely an electric-type move, as that explains the flash

Now let's examine the surroundings!

"You take a closer look at the area. It seems that the victim wasn't the only one electrocuted, as most of the room including multiple lights and parts of the wall are heavily damages, with signs of tear and shattered glass visible across the room." Damage done to the room. This tells us that it was an attack that targets everyone and not just the user. What's an electric-type attack that targets all enemies and is known to have a flash effect? Discharge. So the killer probably used discharge!

This handles moves, sure, but what if we wanted to find out MORE than the move? Like... we could also try and investigate the footprints!

"Some of the blood seemed to smear in the direction of where you and the group stood, as if the killer was attempting to hide the corpse but ran out of time, and the result was a trail leading to nothing. There even seems to be small, circular footprints scattered in the trail." Clever hinting like that gives us a unique way to find the killer! Things like that are what i'd like to see: a melding between the murder itself and the mystery behind it; a Murder Mystery. That's what makes the RP fun, right?

Oh, and while i'm at it, I also feel like there should be more time for investigation. Most MM hosts just show the murder and then immediately skip to the poll. Sure it helps to save time, but doesn't it also defeat the entire purpose? There should be actual DISCUSSIONS so that the group can settle on an opinion rather than randomly choosing a person based on what little evidence they're given.

So if you guys have any other ideas that could give hosts new ways to spice up MM, or even some critique on some of my points, feel free to discuss them with me! I'm all virtual ears.
Illario
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Murder Mystery... or Murder Madness? ooo.

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:05 pm

It's not that much about the host (even tho I agree, some are... How to put it well. Bad?).

It's about the roleplayers, MOST of the time. Because I know most hosts are actually giving some time, but the people in don't use it. They're in for some flashy deaths, woo-hoo blood spilled.

Besides, do you expext people to always think about something and torture their mind for minutes, repeatidly? I know some do, but this is a minoriry.

Efforts are needed from both sides.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Illario on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:12 pm

i was going to include all the factors of how mm rpers could improve, but i felt like it would take up too much space. so i focused on one! it's not to say one is in the wrong any more than the other.

and i dunno about the mind-torturing part, but if you're talking about elaborate deaths then sure, it'd be nice to see~! not required by any means, but nice to see all the same.

effort is needed from both sides, I agree... but we should probably take baby steps there.
Illario
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:46 pm

What I meant is that, people don't RP for the effort needed or etc, they wanna have fun, usually. An easy and accessible fun. Npt one that requires deduction ^^'

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Illario on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:49 pm

ah, i see now! my bad.

but if people are rping in something meant for tracking down the killer, isn't it only natural for people to have to use deductive skills in order to solve the mystery? that's part of the fun!
Illario
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Let It Die is supposed to be the breaking ground for a wide variety of things. One, I intend to try and subtly hint whether the attack was STAB or not in this MM. Two, the roleplayers. They need to pay attention to all the little details. Finally, there's the co-host. If the co-host tries to f@%k up the plot then they die by the killers in addition to the intended kills.

It's supposed to reimagine the MM metagame while at the same time trying to fix what's broken.

i may or may not make Get Out Alive and I Am Machine MMs later
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top