Unlimited endpolls.

Go down

Unlimited endpolls.

Post by Hikaru-San on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:56 pm

A bit of a problem with endpolls has come to my attention after RPing in a conquest recently. The bot, which is programmed to only allow an endpoll every 15 minutes, starts that timer at the beginning of every endpoll. Since endpolls last 3 minutes, someone could theoretically do an endpoll every 12 minutes. What's the problem with that? It's fairly obvious; if just a few people really want an RP to end, everybody in said RP who wants it to continue has to keep going though endpoll after endpoll after endpoll. Even if every endpoll ends in the RP continuing, it is quite obnoxious to have to deal with an endpoll every 12 minutes. In protest of this, I brought it up to a mod, who I will leave unnamed, who said that because that's how bot works, it's fine. After this, I decided to show how absolutely ridiculous that is. I did what that mod said, since it's 'fine to spam endpolls since that's how bot works'. Of course, it is bad behavior. However, I'm one to believe that to change a rule, you have to bring attention to how bad it is. After discussing it with Former Hope, who said that there is no minimum time and that endpoll after endpoll is absolutely fine, so long as it isn't the same person doing it, I have decided to come here. To bring it to everyone's attention. This needs to be changed ASAP.
Hikaru-San

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unlimited endpolls.

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:44 pm

I'll forward that on the GitHub issues, I also come to say : Articuno stated via /announce that endpolls are fine, but it was generally assumed to not have more than 3 per hour. Also, people can simply /nick to request an endpoll if they truly hate the RP. I'm also getting slightly *cough* annoyed by this as well, as people will keep on endpolling, not due to bad RPing or anything, but simply of BOREDOM. Or because they want another RP, which can be fine. Most of the time, they forget that, yeah, a poll will happen. Guess what, the RP voted here will get endpolled as well, so who cares?

That amount of endpolls break the rythm of many hosted RPs, namely Trainer and PMD, while clustering chat with constant talking about 'brace for endpoll', 'continue', 'end hype' to name a few. Yes, I was culprit of the first one for numerous times in the past. This indeed needs to be changed. And I have yet to hear an argument about how having endpolls every 12 mins is good for the sake of RPing. If a RP is bad/badly hosted, it will end at the first, not at the 4th in the same freaking hour. It can also be really, REALLY, factoring for a host to see endpolls that keep on coming forever while (s)he runs his/her RP.

It puts stress, which most of the time leads to a deterioration of the RP. Deterioration of the RP which leads to OOC, and guess what, endpolls. I think you know where I'm getting at now. So, yeah, this needs to be changed. Definitely.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptik on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:45 am

Not to mention I know Lux, and I am aware he is very adapted in JavaScript. Although programming requires some difficulty, even I, a programmer not fluent in JavaScript, can make the bot start the timer AFTER the endpoll. Lux even created the poll function, along with many other functions to RP Bot.

I doubt there is an internal problem here. There's most likely a reason that staff has kept RP Bot the way it is, or maybe it's just sheer laziness. However, if there is an internal problem, I don't understand why they don't just flat out say it. I might see how some idiots that don't understand how programming works can get pretty pissed, but I've seen staff members ban users for more stupid reasons.
Cryptik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:01 am

Let's not get off topic here.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchidio on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:27 am

I see many RPs with potential and that can actually be quite amazing, but people I know (not saying names) just flat out end poll for some other RP, or end poll for fun (yes, I've seen people do that). We need to like, increase the amount of time we need to wait for end polls.

"Uncle Grandpa is my favorite anime"
"Why the fuck is this show on Adult Swim im switching to Nick Jr."
I can make your legend doc look as amazing as Julius Cole Roblox Hater's rapping
Friend request me or I kill your house
Im an OFFICIAL CHRISTIAN DRIVER
I can sprite whatever you want as long as you don't fuck up with details
I play offline Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and im prolly better at it than you im a saiyan
I maine water in cq
I have a deviantart
I try not 2 shitpost
Roleplaying room driver
U can call me Enchi Enchidio or whatever just dont call me Raelcontor kthxbye
Enchidio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:55 pm

Yeah. Increasing the wait to 20 minutes would probably be wise, in my opinion, and I have another end poll idea that Luma actually started up.

Which is, everyone who requests and end poll should have a reason to request it. A legitimate reason, not "oh, I hate this RP" or "this RP has a bad host" or "for kicks". Like when I asked Luma for a poll, I said the RP was looking dead, and that it was apparent the RPing factor was of low or nonexistent quality.

TL;DR: Provide reasons for endpolls or stop endpolling for the RP in question.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hikaru-San on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:48 pm

I do agree with increasing the wait to 20 minutes, along with a reason of request. It will help cut down on people enpolling when they get killed in MM, lose in CQ, die in GvE, etc. I would love to see a mod's standpoint on this that actually has a valid argument for there being no real minimum time in-between endpolls, and only 12 minutes between endpolls bot will do. Former may have been correct: if people do endpoll after endpoll after endpoll, the RP will end. But that might not be because the majority really wants it to end, that may be because the RP has been broken from dealing with constant endpolls. Maybe because the host has been getting stressed at seeing their RP being shot down and trying to end it. It's by no means a good thing to have endless endpolls. If one fails, why would people suddenly change their minds a minute later, unless the host is starting to get discouraged and the RP is diminishing from OOC from the endpolls.
Hikaru-San

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:21 pm

Exactly. After everyone is rattled from the previous endpoll, it takes thyme to cool down. 12 minutes is not enough thyme to cool people down
PyrrhonWheatley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down