The ongoing argument of paragraphs

Go down

The ongoing argument of paragraphs

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:48 am

Can I just say I'm sick of this shit already? It happens EVERY rp at least twice and there's no achievement for picking either side. For those somehow unacquainted, there's an ongoing argument about which form of rping is better: Short and quick lines that are 1 or two lines or big paragraphs. There seems to be no middle groumd even though there evidently IS ONE. Some "pros" of one liners is that people can respond and act quickly, with a con being that they're usually (but not always) detailed. The reverse is true for paragraphs, which are harder to rp with because of the length, but have rich details to be built apon. I want this arguement to stop because as shown, both are good in their own right. You could flesh out a character in one or two paras before chatting up some one or two liners with the man next to you at the pokemart (even though FR only happens in one fucking forest). Maybe it some certain paragraph users would stop being so elitistic and would get used to the one lining crowd then the middle ground would be reached.

So what is the goal here? Get people to understand that both paragraphs and shorter lines are good. Both. However, people simply aren't going to give it up and as a result it is holding the room back creativly and in a form of text. When people are arguing, they aren't RPing, which leads to an endpoll which gets voted end which makes NOBODY happy. Maybe I'm not the most descriptive or convincing of writers, but I know this: Shut the hell up, try something new and you might have fun.
PyrrhonWheatley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The ongoing argument of paragraphs

Post by Illario on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:06 am

I do agree that long and short posts are both good in their own right and the use of each shouldn't be undermined by others, though I might not have conveyed it in exactly the way you put, which is a bit... harsh to say the least.

short posts are more useful for dialogue and simple details such as describing a character's action/reaction. paragraphs are good when there's a lot happening to capture a single event in the most detailed form possible and make it engaging for the readers involved. at least, that's how I organize my posts; different writing styles might have other methods of organizing posts. nevertheless make use of both forms and you'll be get the hang of it in no time flat! not that its hard
Illario
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LargeJellopy on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:59 am

Giving my opinion as a mainer and FR-lover, I've gotta say that's pretty much it; when I'm trying to reel people into my plot, describe my character in a first apparition or somesuch, paragraphs are my choice, and they still come in handy later on whenever, say, another location is reached or weather changes merit description.

One liners, though, are the bulk of my RPing, simply because it's faster that way. I notice that, when I try getting fancy and gussying up most of my lines, I tend to get lost more easily and waste good bits of time in answering things that aren't too complicated to answer at all. Shorter lines are also easier to read, which gets the other RPlayer an easier time focusing on the one relevant thing you have to say instead of having to dig through a few heaps of description each time.

The way I use it, the paragraph-one liner relationship is sort of like a sandwich, if you will allow me the comparison. Paragraphs make the RP and character look nice and hold all the details together, while one-liners, split into many parts, are what make up the bulk of the playing. Paragraphs are the bread, and one-liners are the filling, and together they make a nice RP snack!

Not saying this is how everyone should use the formats, though, else I'd just be another form of preachy, eh?

Tl;dr: I think paragraphs are awesome at catching lots of detail and are good for grand entrances and environment descriptions, while short lines are more efficient at keeping the flow of the RP focused and steady. Not saying everyone should use them like this, though. Also, sandwich.

May we meet later!

Waroo, an Aurorus Hiwahiwa, a Gorebyss Jiggly, a Goodra Cassandra, an Absol
General Winter Morozko, Articuno Jinn, a Whimsicott Jordan, a Lapras Kelly, a Gallade
LargeJellopy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colora on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:01 pm

Although if I may say one thing. I do keep my posts to a minimum. Personally I find long posts kind of annoying when a lot is being posted and usually it throws off my reading when someone makes 4 posts in main. Generally I keep my posts to a minimum of one or two posts, BUT I fill up the given space near the brim with chat.

What bothers me more about the people making longer posts/paragraphs is when they don't fill out the plentiful amounts of space they're given, make 5 posts, and end by getting muted by RP bot for flooding. I find that to be more frustrating since chat gets in between said posts, not filling out empty space is a peeve of mine and I often find many of the multiple posts to cover 1-2 lines max, and as I stated before, it just seems like more to read than it should. (Don't cheat outta detail c; )

Another thing though, I don't agree with paragraphs full of actions. You should keep it to at least one action. People need time to react and time to react, speak, or whatever it is that may get interrupted. I find it very god moddy when someone starts to make a paragraph about elegantly drawing their sword, lunging at their opponent, AND finishing with stabbing the opponent's neck. A normal conversation between people doesn't always consist of one person participating in a conversation while the other waits and throws a paragraph of his own together in his head.

I'm not completely hating on paragraphs, I'm just saying it would be more acceptable to me if people filled their given text space rather than waste space and make 4-5 posts, (Unless it's acceptable actions/speech/or details) make 1 action or sentence in a paragraph, and lastly just accept by making speech detail in one liners, or simply try to keep yourself in one post unless it's needed.

-Also, I reply about paragraphs, with paragraphs, for paragraphs. Hush. They're not wrong in any way.
Colora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by needler on Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:36 pm

I generally rp with paragraphs, especially for descriptions, but do keep in mind that I am only active in amphy, not main. I understand how in a fast chat such as Freeroam you don't want the room to be spammed with paragraphs, but is there really a point in complaining about them?

The last time I tried to roleplay in FR, I was called an elitist, not for speaking condescendantly or anything like that, which I didn't do anyways, but for writing more than a single message. Why? Why could this be a thing? If you want to rp with one-liners: do it, I don't give the slightest fuck, but don't expect me to give you any respect if you yourself aren't respecting what others are doing.
needler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:13 pm

For some reason it's not in the rules, but consider it common courtesy to not shit on other people's roleplaying style. We have things that are strictly not allowed (god modding and the likes), but as long as you and the people you're playing with are having fun, it doesn't matter what you write.

Roleplay is about having fun, not being a bitch.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: