On the topic of eggs in Freeforms

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should eggs just be plainly banned from freeforms?

50% 50% 
[ 6 ]
50% 50% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 12

On the topic of eggs in Freeforms

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Hello.

In a recent FR, and in every FR ever, there are eggs. Everyone knows that, everyone knows they're obnoxious to death, they can direct their course, they can fall but not break and can... you get it. I'll just paste an example, will be faster.

[19:14:34] • Blue Egg would fall upon [redacted], shaking, before suddenly seeming to stop. It would also be somewhat cold, and seemed it was dropped by it's parent, and by a stroke of luck landed on [redacted]. However, some sharp scales on the outside of the egg scratched [redacted] a bit.

[19:17:28] • Blue Egg would happen to dig into [redacted]'s skin by falling on him, and was still, extremely cold. It also seemed to radiate furious anger, as well as a sensation of calm, controlled rage. Strange how these two seemed to completely contradict each other. Best to heat it up.

First of, due to the rule of 'You can't harm/kill an OC without asking it's owner permission', you cannot crush or break it. You cannot ignore it either, since it will follow you, and if you choose to /ignore, said egg will find another victim. Eggs bring literally NO value to any RP, they bring no interaction (such 'heats the egg up', much wow), will often hatch into 'edgy' OCs which are just copy/paste of others, but this isn't the point of this post.

There are, of course, solutions to this, /ignore being one. However, ignoring a problem is never a long term solution. So, either accept the fact that people can be eggs, and sometimes interrupt/ruin other's RPs, or ban the possibility of being an egg in a RP. This would basically include the traditional 'Random Egg', 'Red and Yellow Egg', 'Blue Striped Square Egg', and the list goes on. Yes, this can be viewed as a rather extreme solution, since prohibiting the use of something will always make some people angry, but if anyone got a better solution, I'm ready to have that person explain it to me.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: On the topic of eggs in Freeforms

Post by Enchidio on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Around two years ago ago, a bunch of eggs kept swarming my Lucario OC (yes i was edgy back then). I was so mad that I literally quit Freeroam.
One of the reasons why I moved to Amphy.
Enchidio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:29 pm

Oh, and, I'd also like to hear opinions from people thinking eggs shouldn't be banned, instead of just dropping a vote and all~

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Hydre, I read that post in my Biology professor's voice, and cracked up. ;D

Anyway, on the topic of eggs, I don't think that they should be downright banned. You can always choose to ignore people if they're interrupting in your plot. 
On another note, in some plots, eggs do have a significant role to play. 
For example, lets suppose a Milotic laid an egg. Now, as a mother, it'd be important for the OC's owner to RP character development into the OC, as she turns responsible and motherly. The egg plays an important part here, as for the development of an OC, and can possibly hatch into another OC.

tldr; don't ban eggs, if you're annoyed, ignore them.
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Fraction wrote:Hydre, I read that post in my Biology professor's voice, and cracked up. ;D

Anyway, on the topic of eggs, I don't think that they should be downright banned. You can always choose to ignore people if they're interrupting in your plot. 
On another note, in some plots, eggs do have a significant role to play. 
For example, lets suppose a Milotic laid an egg. Now, as a mother, it'd be important for the OC's owner to RP character development into the OC, as she turns responsible and motherly. The egg plays an important part here, as for the development of an OC, and can possibly hatch into another OC.

tldr; don't ban eggs, if you're annoyed, ignore them.

The question is : Would the egg be another OC by itself (aka, roleplayed by another roleplayer), or be a part of a plot in which the main OC is the mother? Because the way I'm reading this, the egg wouldn't be an OC at the beginning, and will be, as you said, another OC after hatching. I might have made a misleading poll name, sorry for that.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:13 pm

It is up to the person himself/herself to decide whether they want a person to play the part of the said Milotic OC's child. Anyway, that holds little to no relevance here. I was just stating my opinion that eggs are the same as any other OC you'll meet. If you wanna keep it, keep it. If not, discard it. If it follows you, ignore it.
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall De Vos on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:20 am

Being the [redacted] person in Hydre's introduction quote I feel the need to post here aswell.

I admit that I'm not the most enthusiastic FR roleplayer but even if I partake I'm trying to get at least some detail into my roleplaying. Point in case, some detail. I've got nothing against eggs by themselves, mind you, but I can't really set up a plot the way I would like to when an egg decides to be near-puppeteering my actions, as in what I was supposed to do next. After having found two eggs before and blatantly shipping them because it sounded adequate at the time, yet I now regret the decision.

I'm going to be honest, I'm mostly with Fraction. Ignore eggs if they're too annoying, but if any plotted OCs lead to be in possession of an egg due to plot, be fine with it as you must. I for myself will now decrease the chances of interacting with eggs to ~1%.
Marshall De Vos
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:48 am

Well I don't think a downright banning of eggs would do any much good, I find eggs and stuff funny and annoying at the same time.
Mostly the egg thing is up to the person, in reality it can actually just stay there and do something like this:

• Random Egg would just be there on the open field, it would just stay there probably left by its parent/s. (Open RP)

See you can actually open an RP with eggs, it's just that eggs want to be noticed immediately that's why they tend to 'roll to Person A' or 'drop on Person A's head'. Imo how about add a rule that eggs cannot move by itself unless someone actually applied force on it, that way egg's are more natural as they appear and are less annoying.

Now for the part of eggs being egdy characters and do copy-paste. You can't control that, its their fault for not having originality and just want to be edgy and look cool even though they're not. I think many of us despise stuff like that, they'll of course regret what they're doing in the end.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:20 am

Allyson(Ninetales) wrote:See you can actually open an RP with eggs, it's just that eggs want to be noticed immediately that's why they tend to 'roll to Person A' or 'drop on Person A's head'. 
It's just the same with any RPer. They want to be noticed. Hence why some people show random aggression, because at least they'd get noticed.
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychoreality on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:54 am

Okay, here's my two cents on eggs. They're fine if they're used in a way that isn't obnoxious or disruptive. A specific RPer (who will not be named) wrote 3 paragraphs about an egg sitting on a rock, claimed that they "beat" the rest of the room as an egg and then left. Can we not have these? Seriously, if I had seen this as staff I would have punished the user for it because it's just plain annoying and doesn't benefit anybody. Same with "/egg sticks to [good roleplayer] and won't let go" people. I don't want your damn egg, leave me alone. At the end of the day, we can't block off people who make creative egg-themed plots because of the majority that are just plain obnoxious about it. Although, I do feel people who disrupt RPs using egg OCs should be punished just as harshly as any other disruption, and as of now I don't think this happens oddly enough.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruella on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:30 am

Okay. I understand this. I dont think there is anything roleplaying with an egg, or wanting to start off your journey as an egg. But I do believe there should be some basic ground rules.

1. You shouldnt be capable of moving/floating/rolling around 24/7
2. You definitely shouldn't be fighting or op in any form.
3. You shouldnt be acting as a burden, forcing yourself into peoples plots and giving them no other choice.

If you head into a roleplay with the mentality of being an egg, in my opinion, you are doing it wrong. You should be looking at in a manner where you see yourself as the pokemon you are going to become, and not just an egg. I see how eggs can just be used as a method for subtle trolling and shitposting, but I do believe they could be used to construct a good roleplay.

This is just my opinion anyway. I do see the points you guys have, however.
Cruella
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Fraction on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:03 am

Also, if the poll is a petition, don't you think you require the ROs permission to do so?

If it's just opinions, then okay.
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by 13InHeaven on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Maybe you should ask for perms to be an egg. Or just max. 3 eggs in one Fr.
13InHeaven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top