My Challenge To You.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Challenge To You.

Post by DarkClaw(weavile) on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:22 am

Okay, so I constantly hear this ongoing banter about RP quality declining, blah blah.
So here's my challenge to you, whether you be new or old, young or bold, experienced or not.

Why not include a new person that doesn't have anybody to RP with in FR?
Why not try to teach those beneath you instead of scorning them, and mocking their incompetence.
Why not try and add that extra sentence of juicy description into your lines?
Why not look for new words and new ideas to describe your settings, characters and plots?
Why not go out on a limb, and venture away from the forests of Freeroam, into a different setting?
Why not try that RP that you've always hated?
Why not strive to be a better writer and Roleplayer, instead of thinking that you're the best.
Why not treat everybody as equals, as opposed to preferring some above others?
Why not say hello to a new user?
Why not say thank you to a moderator who works so hard to enforce the rules and keep the room troll free.
Why not, instead of blatantly criticising people, try to appreciate them.

And maybe one day, the room will be brighter and funner than ever before. It's not about being the best, like no one ever was. It's about being your best, and trying to be a better writer, roleplayer and ultimately, a better person.

So take up my challenge, and help me make this room a little brighter, why don't you?

DarkClaw(weavile)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Challenge To You.

Post by Cradle Cat on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 pm

This needs exposure. I agree wholeheartedly. I feel that originality has gone down in my roleplaying (Freeroam especially) because when I do RP, I want to be noticed. It sucks. Help spread this message because it's important to get it spread.
Cradle Cat
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Also agreeing, and trying to do some (good lord pokehigh is still hard to RP in.). I love the initiative as well, abd can't help but say : well said.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkClaw(weavile) on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:22 am

Cheers guys. Yeah, I agree with that Pokehigh statement. But it's all about giving it a go Surprised

DarkClaw(weavile)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisae on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Shouldn't the staff already be doing ALL of this stuff including the ROs? If they do it, then you'll most likely do it.
Alisae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Hydre(Hydreigon) wrote:Also agreeing, and trying to do some (good lord pokehigh is still hard to RP in.). I love the initiative as well, abd can't help but say : well said.
Told him to post that, too. :^)
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:45 pm

The "K" in "Kylie" stands for Kindness, obvs.

So, yeah, I'll definitely be using an old OC-- probably someone like Lylah, or Eirin, or even Rosary, to get people a plot they'll enjoy.

Or I could just use Vittoria the Snorunt. =3
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Dreaming Asriel wrote:The "K" in "Kylie" stands for Kindness, obvs.

*scratches head.* uhh, who r u again???

*flees*

But anyway, yeah, people should really think outside the box, and rather than criticizing the system, try to improve it. I think the major reason is why people don't like it is because their opinions never get voiced.
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alisae on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Fraction wrote:But anyway, yeah, people should really think outside the box, and rather than criticizing the system, try to improve it. I think the major reason is why people don't like it is because their opinions never get voiced.
A. You should also be thinking outside of the box when it comes to RPing in general.
B. I wonder why the voices of the regulars never get voiced. Oh wait, I think it might be because the staff think they are better then anyone else. Just a feeling though.
Alisae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkClaw(weavile) on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:16 am

Eh, you said it not me Alisae.
Wink

DarkClaw(weavile)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuffle The Ampharos on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:41 pm

I...really do agree with this. Most people, when they see some newbie post like 3 words and think it's good, go like "wow noob" or something like that. I'm not saying everyone's like that, there are a lot of kind people around, but there are some people that do this.
The main response to this is the user leaving the room. And that bugs me to no end, how you couldn't just be nice for once and have an extra user enjoy this place.
Shuffle The Ampharos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 pm

Why can't people understand that if you're not going to be a good presence, or help improving the room's 'atmosphere', at least you shouldn't discourage other people from RPing.
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yujo on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:53 pm

To be truthful, I entered this room with a quiet presence (technically, on Nov. 27th, though I became more active in December. I wonder how many times I have stressed this!) Even with RP experience beforehand, this atmosphere was brand new, and rather overwhelming. As the weeks passed, I started noticing the problems in which a majority of you on this thread have pointed out, and it prompted me to become more timid and silencing towards myself. I used to lie low, really.

Yes, yes, as a new user I was extremely intimidated by Voices and above. It was more comfortable for me to interact with other regulars that have  more experience than I. They were (and still are) my friends now, as they've helped me greatly in the room, which I'm super thankful for. I wasn't perfect at the time, I slipped up a lot, and I was often lost in any other RP aside from Freeroam.

Not a single person actually uh, reached out to help me understand things, even when I had asked questions about the room back then. People were more or less quick to brush newcomers off, simply saying "look at the rules/forums/etc" and continuing whatever they were doing. Though it would have been better for me to reach out to an auth for help, again, I was incredibly timid.

Regulars were not very welcoming back in December, and if not, they would instead ignore a newcomer like myself. Many people have told me about the decline in this room (hell, Amphy included!), which I now understand; the abrasiveness, bad attitudes, and noticeable divide between regulars and staff. It was saddening, being the kind of person I am, to have delved into this kind of environment. I do hope it gets better; I'd do what I can to help improve it.

It'd be nicer to see more cooperation and understanding between regulars and staff. Yes, it is true that many regulars do not get their opinions voiced, as they are often drowned out. At the same time that's happening, staff has their struggles, as well; dealing with insults aimed towards them, being called power-hungry/unfair, and etc etc. Yes, this happens, and it's rather dehumanizing. Maybe that causes the divide between we and the regulars, which is sad in itself. We're human, too, and it's not like we want to detach ourselves from the others. But the moment you get a sign next to your name, you're bound to be detested.

Freeroam is an RP that truly needs to be repaired. So many individuals go unnoticed, since others DO have their preferences (including other regulars, as well.) The challenges DarkClaw had listed are great, and yes, it should be exploited and passed around more; I'm incredibly sure it'll open up people's minds, and expand their horizons. Everyone always forgets that they can learn from one another, and gather experience points, too.

I would not like this room to spiral into an irreparable state. I'm sure that isn't the ROs intentions, either. The room changes, yes, but it isn't meant to be for the worse. If you have suggestions and ideas, you can always direct them to us, as we will gladly discuss them when we can. ( n_n)/ o shit damn i wrote a lot.

gone.
Yujo

View user profile https://groovyyugi.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Yujo on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Shuffle The Ampharos wrote:I...really do agree with this. Most people, when they see some newbie post like 3 words and think it's good, go like "wow noob" or something like that. I'm not saying everyone's like that, there are a lot of kind people around, but there are some people that do this.
The main response to this is the user leaving the room. And that bugs me to no end, how you couldn't just be nice for once and have an extra user enjoy this place.

I saw this A LOT a month or two back. I even see it now. It's very sad, and it bugs me, too. People of all experience levels should be free to RP as they please, whether it be as one-liners or paragraph lovers. The fact that there's heavy discrimination between either or is also maddening. :s
Regulars also complain that staff rarely help out with new users. If that's true, why don't they (as regulars) take the initiative to do it as well? I surely wouldn't want to ignore a newcomer. Hell, I'll do whatever I have to to help them accommodate into the room.

As staff we also encourage and count on regulars to help WELCOME newcomers into the group, not to make them into outcasts that will disappear in due time. We are a community, we need to help one another. Having friend groups/being close to others you're very familiar with is fine. But it's cool to be nice, and welcome newcomers into plots and such.

Please please PLEASE remember that we're always here to talk to and help. I wish many other regulars knew that, too...

gone.
Yujo

View user profile https://groovyyugi.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkClaw(weavile) on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:48 am

To be fair Yujo,
Users feel intimidated by staff for a reason.
The amount of time I've seen power abuse/staff trashtalking regular users, is frankly insane. Although you do make a good point, and remember that we were all noobs at one point.

DarkClaw(weavile)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum