Clarity of Rules.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Marshall De Vos on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:09 am

Articuno wrote:However, that doesn't mean you can't be creative with your characters. Arti, for instance, is a humanoid embodiment of Articuno, so while she isn't necessarily a 'witch' or a Pokemon, she doesn't break outside fandom rules because she is based entirely on what I perceive a decent Articuno could be.

The main thing I think would rectify the issue about mythical creatures is that you shouldn't refer to your character as such. It's all right if something like a Swanna gijinka is based off an angel or something, but trying to actually be an angel character wouldn't be really acceptable because that sort of creature doesn't really exist in the Pokemon world, if you know what I mean.

That's generally why we discourage trying to play a character with alcoholism or religious themes. Those themes are generally more mature, and given that the average users of the room are not at that level, we would rather avoid controversy. They don't have the experience to accurately portray what it'd be like to be struggling with drink or gambling (hell, most people don't even know what Prom is like...). 

I've left the paragraphs in here that I'd like to address. Everything else has been concieved in a reasonable way, at least on my part.

As for the first (and going into it, the second) one, I do have two characters in particular that I've been basing on - well - let's call it outside-Pokémon influences. Does that adaption now imply that I'm forbidden to use these characters, as much as I've percieved to try and keep them close enough to the actual Pokémon I envision them as, or do I have to ask for auth permission in usage? I'm not 100% sure on that, sorry.

As for the final paragraph that I left to address, I agree with it for the most part. Most people would struggle with the adaption of addiction, yes, but there's some in the room (as far as I at least am concerned, I might be grossly off but please consider I speak from my own POV.) that I'd trust to be able to display the horror that lies beneath at least so that others can understand the person is much more wrecked on the inside than he appears on the outside.

But yes, in the most part I agree with the clarifications made.
avatar
Marshall De Vos
Voice
Voice

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 150
Join date : 2016-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Alisae on Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:35 pm

I actually do have a question, moreso a clearification. Are ALL RP room rules to be enforced when it comes to forum RPing? And if so, is it the expectation that the staff should be paying attention to the RPs in the forums and moderating them for such content, like drugs and alcohol.

Does this also include the usage of moves such as teleport?
avatar
Alisae

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Dragonite99 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:14 am

Marshall De Vos wrote:

As for the first (and going into it, the second) one, I do have two characters in particular that I've been basing on - well - let's call it outside-Pokémon influences. Does that adaption now imply that I'm forbidden to use these characters, as much as I've percieved to try and keep them close enough to the actual Pokémon I envision them as, or do I have to ask for auth permission in usage? I'm not 100% sure on that, sorry.


I'm thinking teh same thing. Midna, my most developed OC in terms of Roleplaying, is...well, she's a vampire, if people haven't noticed (which I find hard to believe because of her popularity, but I guess that's okay since I've been dead on the actual PS for a while now). Technically, the Pokemon world is already full of magic because, hey, why do we need weapons if we've got wild creatures spitting seeds at us? But let's take out the stuff like that. Other than her natural powers that come from being a Pokemon, she is known for her use with healing herbs. That in itself would not be considered magic, but she is also commonly seen in RPs as having certain powers. Apart from being a vampire, she is known for saying she can contact the dead/spirits (similar to Marshall's Metagross OC who, if I remember correctly, is also associated with the dead in some shape, way, or form). She also is capable of telling the future, most commonly in teh form of a tarot card reading. However, this power does has its limits, as it cannot tell the whole future, nor the immediate future. Rather, it tells of a certain outcome that may happen; the events usually take place 10-30 minutes after the telling (so she can't "godmod" and dodge every single move someone is about to make). The more distracted she is, the less accurate the reading.
Apart from that lengthy description about readings, she is known for using charms and curses, which usually come in the form of spell tags (not the Pokemon item). Usually, for the spell tag to work, it must be physically connected to the target, so that means she has to put herself in the danger of being hurt or injured (she didn't inherit the skill of vampire speed, though she is a little faster than a normal Umbreon) to stick the tag on them.

Bringing all this to mind, I would like clarification on what Midna can and cannot RP in (I mean, other than MM of course). These abilities are not abused because she's usually busy doing something else, anyways, and I'm sure many an RP-er can attest to that.
avatar
Dragonite99

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 3541
Join date : 2014-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Marshall De Vos on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:08 am

Dragonite99 wrote:
she is known for saying she can contact the dead/spirits (similar to Marshall's Metagross OC who, if I remember correctly, is also associated with the dead in some shape, way, or form).

Not quite, but yes, he also dwells in fortune-telling, and various kinds of spell-chants via his own tarot cards (I feel cheap for stealing those now, but I thought they would signalize his being well enough.) Similar to Midna, though, he can't locate the exact time of events. He knows what will happen, but he can't tell you when, so he's not your "lmao i see what you do i can doge everything easily bruh" person.
avatar
Marshall De Vos
Voice
Voice

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 150
Join date : 2016-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Articuno on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:37 pm

Taking inspiration from outside sources for a character is all right. What we don't want is a copy and paste Pokemon character that's basically just an outside fandom character. For instance, if someone was using a character called "Miruto (Vulpix)" and had "special techs" to clone themselves, it wouldn't be allowed because they're basically Naruto. There's kind of a thin line between what is and isn't okay; it's difficult to tell when someone is using inspiration and when they're simply copying, especially since many abilities are common ones. If you feel like your characters are different enough from what they were based off of, and able to keep with the realm of possibility for Pokemon, then it should be fine to continue using them. 

As for a few people being able to deal with more mature topics, yes, I agree too. However, we cannot bend the rules simply for those who think they can handle being able to portray those topics effectively. It's not something we give permission on, and to put it simply, everyone has to follow those rules - including the people who think they can write it in but really just have no idea what they're doing. 

For forum RPs, the forum is definitely more open in terms of content. Most of the time, each individual host is in charge of moderating their RP (since honestly, you can't expect staff to want to read through pages and pages of RPs they probably aren't interested in) and can report to a staff member if they see something in their RP that is inappropriate. We can judge on a case-by-case basis from there. 

Lastly, it's a bit of a grey area for more... occult stuff. As I said in my first post, I don't think it'd be a good idea to actively refer to your character as a vampire. You can leave the implication, but saying "I'm a vampire" just invites a warn. I would say that anything you can do irl (tarot card reading, herbs) should be fine in RP. However, contacting the dead is... a little bit more iffy. Though the Pokemon world is indeed filled with what you could call magic, some abilities like that can be borderline on what is or isn't allowed. I would personally say you'd have to have a specific process to be followed in order to contact the dead (like you can't just place your hand on the ground or something and just do it), but other staff may disagree and disallow it entirely.

_________________
avatar
Articuno
Room Owner
Room Owner

Status :
Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

Posts : 794
Join date : 2014-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Dragonite99 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Articuno wrote:Lastly, it's a bit of a grey area for more... occult stuff. As I said in my first post, I don't think it'd be a good idea to actively refer to your character as a vampire. You can leave the implication, but saying "I'm a vampire" just invites a warn. I would say that anything you can do irl (tarot card reading, herbs) should be fine in RP. However, contacting the dead is... a little bit more iffy. Though the Pokemon world is indeed filled with what you could call magic, some abilities like that can be borderline on what is or isn't allowed. I would personally say you'd have to have a specific process to be followed in order to contact the dead (like you can't just place your hand on the ground or something and just do it), but other staff may disagree and disallow it entirely.

Yes, Midna does have a process, but I developed it in a way that it can be lengthy or energy/time-consuming, so it wouldn't be counted as "godmod" or something. I don't think she has gotten the chance to actually do it in an RP, but she has hinted towards her abilities, and she usually says "I can hear them, and they're saying something, but I can't tell..." or something like that. I'll be sure to be careful with it, though. Thanks for clarifying!
avatar
Dragonite99

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 3541
Join date : 2014-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Alisae on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Dragonite99 wrote:
Articuno wrote:Lastly, it's a bit of a grey area for more... occult stuff. As I said in my first post, I don't think it'd be a good idea to actively refer to your character as a vampire. You can leave the implication, but saying "I'm a vampire" just invites a warn. I would say that anything you can do irl (tarot card reading, herbs) should be fine in RP. However, contacting the dead is... a little bit more iffy. Though the Pokemon world is indeed filled with what you could call magic, some abilities like that can be borderline on what is or isn't allowed. I would personally say you'd have to have a specific process to be followed in order to contact the dead (like you can't just place your hand on the ground or something and just do it), but other staff may disagree and disallow it entirely.

Yes, Midna does have a process, but I developed it in a way that it can be lengthy or energy/time-consuming, so it wouldn't be counted as "godmod" or something. I don't think she has gotten the chance to actually do it in an RP, but she has hinted towards her abilities, and she usually says "I can hear them, and they're saying something, but I can't tell..." or something like that. I'll be sure to be careful with it, though. Thanks for clarifying!
Unbalanced skills/abilities/moves/whatever and godmoding are 2 different things. They will not always be the same thing, but they CAN be the same thing. If you cannot explain how it works, then it's godmodding. If you can explain it, but it's still straight up overpowered, then that's being overpowered. Actually a matter of fact, the RP room rules site this as a source: http://psroleplaying.forumotion.com/t918-how-to-not-godmod-powerplay#20836 but is in fact very wrong, and in fact, I'd probably disagree to it's credibility.

The definitions of both powerplaying and godmoding in that post are just straight up wrong as well. Since we are on the topic of godmoding, I am going to address that first.

You can tell if someone is godmoding if A. Godmodding is when you do something without asking permission to do so concerning another character, B. If someone has a skill that is impossible to stop and will always hit (Also autohitting) or C. Doing something that you cannot explain how it works.

Let's explain A. there is a big difference between doing something that is concerning another character, and controlling another character. Controlling another character is bunnying. An example where it would concern another character, would be sucking them into a black hole. You're not controlling if they are going to get sucked into a black hole or not, but science says they will. It's how black holes work.

Now, to explain B. Automaticly dodging every attack or landing every hit is autohitting. I don't think I need to explain why that's godmoding. You have a skill that does exactly that. You can still have an unbalanced skill, that does exactly this. Let me use an example. This skill is an edited skill of a friends, for the sheer purpose of making it look overpowered, for a fantasy fight RP. I didn't edit it, a friend of mine did, I am just using it as an example.

Name: Phoenix Feather
Cost: 1
Cooldown: n/a
Range: close
Description: as long as Tatsuya attacking he's able to draw upon the power of the mythic being known as the Phoenix to cloak himself in all-scorching fire. All defenses will be burned to ashes if touched by this fire and if he were to die while using this skill his body will burn to ashes from which he will be revived after 3 posts.

Why is this skill unbalanced? Because it does too much, especially for it's energy cost. Is it godmoding? No. The opponent can still dodge it. In fact, they are forced to dodge it. And attacking back is useless.

Now to explain C. If I went up and told you "Oh hey, you're dead now." and you died, this would be godmoding. However, if I went into how I killed you, then it would not be godmoding.

Of course, you can do this with permission of the other person. Then it's fine. Like for example, for an RP I was in, I was about to kill this boss fight, and I asked the DM (I call them DMs, you call them hosts, potato potahto tomato tomahto) if I could kill this character by stabbing the sword into his mouth without it being considered autohitting. And he told me that I could, and he even acknowledged that he could dodge it by moving his head to the left or to the right, but he was not going to do that. Perfect example of when it's okay to autohit.

Now for powerplaying. What he describes as powerplaying fits under godmoding or/and bunnying. What powerplaying actually is is when you are racking up powers and abilities which are powerful ASAP. AKA it's nothing that should be illegal.
avatar
Alisae

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 57
Join date : 2016-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Marshall De Vos on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 am

I understand now, thank you for clarifying, Arti.
avatar
Marshall De Vos
Voice
Voice

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 150
Join date : 2016-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Dragonite99 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 pm

Alisae wrote:
Unbalanced skills/abilities/moves/whatever and godmoding are 2 different things. They will not always be the same thing, but they CAN be the same thing. If you cannot explain how it works, then it's godmodding. If you can explain it, but it's still straight up overpowered, then that's being overpowered. Actually a matter of fact, the RP room rules site this as a source: http://psroleplaying.forumotion.com/t918-how-to-not-godmod-powerplay#20836 but is in fact very wrong, and in fact, I'd probably disagree to it's credibility.

The definitions of both powerplaying and godmoding in that post are just straight up wrong as well. Since we are on the topic of godmoding, I am going to address that first.

Of course, you can do this with permission of the other person. Then it's fine. Like for example, for an RP I was in, I was about to kill this boss fight, and I asked the DM (I call them DMs, you call them hosts, potato potahto tomato tomahto) if I could kill this character by stabbing the sword into his mouth without it being considered autohitting. And he told me that I could, and he even acknowledged that he could dodge it by moving his head to the left or to the right, but he was not going to do that. Perfect example of when it's okay to autohit.

Now for powerplaying. What he describes as powerplaying fits under godmoding or/and bunnying. What powerplaying actually is is when you are racking up powers and abilities which are powerful ASAP. AKA it's nothing that should be illegal.

That's a...lot. owo
So, taking into what I have told you about Midna so far, what do you think of her? I haven't been on main for a very long time now, and since she's at the point when I can't develop her further, i'm willing to have her tone down some of her abilities if it's going to be a going against the ever-changing rules
avatar
Dragonite99

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 3541
Join date : 2014-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clarity of Rules.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum