World Map Q&A

Go down

World Map Q&A

Post by Rico on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:28 am

I held a Q&A in Rusty and did my best to answer everybody I saw. This SHOULD be all the questions. If you have any further questions you can ask them here and I will remember to respond in six weeks.

Just to start, to those who don't know I drew the current world map we're using and designed most of the areas (which is why it's so short). I have probably the best idea of what we're doing with it, although the other room owners and staff have some general information. The april fools joke was based on this, which had been in the works for about a month before today.

From RustyRP

[09:44:16] #Rico: To answer some that have already been asked a few times: When the contest comes around and we let people add areas of their own (which will be quality checked just like any other contest) I'm happy to add/remove any feature on the map if it's needed.
[09:44:56] #Rico: I'm committed to a complete redraw of the map if we get enough good submissions, and actually have the idea of breaking it up in to a bunch of "smaller" maps of each individual continent, to fit more detail in to those places.

[09:45:26] TopHattedShinx~: What was the map based off of? Was it based off people's roleplays, such as 'the' lake (which to me seems like one of the hubs) and the forest?
[09:46:22] #Rico: TopHattedShinx, The map was randomly generated in photoshop using a technique I found on imgur, and improved with some brushes I stole from deviantArt. I wanted to make sure there were notable lakes and forests because of current Freeroam things.
[09:46:27] #Rico: So kinda yes, kinda no.
[09:46:41] #Rico: I was very against the idea of anything ever existing called "Freeroam Forest" which is what made me make it in the first place.

[09:45:28] LumaSoul: You mean like...make a bunch of smaller maps of specific places?
[09:47:04] #Rico: LumaSoul, Yes. I mean smaller maps of specific places. So say a map of Cendria the size of the current world map.

[09:45:35] Mana(S.Gardevoir): Rico, how exactly will ruling work in any of these places? Will there be any kind of... government?
[09:47:59] #Rico: Mana(S.Gardevoir), There will be government bodies for the various places. I did forget to add that before so thanks for pointing that out. For quick reference, Highpeak is a monarchy and Jewelheart an independent oligarchy (or somesuch)
[09:48:23] #Rico: Anything connected by road to Highpeak is a 'major' town of that nation.

[09:45:36] Day of the Dead♥: so how will the contest form be laid out, Rico? will it be like, a doc with a map and then an explanation of the places as well as the whole thing?
[09:49:02] #Rico: Day of the Dead, it'll be a doc with the map but we'll be encouraging people to create based on their own desires, not on what might 'fit' the current map. As I've said, I'll redraw if someone has a good idea.

[09:46:11] @Lux (Lucario): Rico, exactly what can we design?
[09:49:41] #Rico: Lux, you can design anything from a popular tavern up to an entire continent. The sky's the limit.
[09:50:15] #Rico: Technology wise I want to try and make the map able to accomodate multiple technological 'eras', but that's going to take a bit of universe work which I'm not ready to do right now, but have ideas on how.

[09:46:37] Nekis (Umbreon): I mean, what if an RP takes place somewhere not listed in the map, is it considered not an official location or?
[09:51:00] #Rico: Nekis (Umbreon), If you RP somewhere that's not on the map you can pretend it's just one of those places not named. It won't be an "official" area, but you can give people an idea of where you're from.
[09:51:25] #Rico: I'll add something later that makes it so people can join the map from different 'worlds', so you can migrate your character to and from the official world map without too much impact on your own personal storyline

[09:47:26] Little Slugger: Follow up with Mana's question Rico, regarding the government of places, will it be player-run or NPC-run?
[09:52:15] #Rico: Little Slugger, I want most things to be NPC run and generally avoid things being about specific people, but we may make it a voice incentive that you get a small area of your own if you acquire that rank. Don't quote me on that because Blue might kill me.

[09:48:36] @Lux (Lucario): Rico, if we design something, say the Atlantian city, will we be able to like, natter out every single detail?
[09:53:06] #Rico: Lux, when designing areas you can design as much as you want, or as little as you want. More detail will likely be hidden in tiered spoilers so as not to overwhelm people with information though.

[09:48:56] Mana(S.Gardevoir): Ah, understood on that part. If someone creates their own area or location, and properly fleshes it out, is it possible they can be the one to create the government?
[09:53:27] #Rico: Mana(S.Gardevoir), If you create an area yes you can define the government that sits there.

[09:50:36] Seriph Skie: So Rico, we can suggest locations to this map? Or are they pre-drawn in before this map surfaced?
[09:54:31] #Rico: Seriph Skie, You will be able to suggest locations on this map when the contest comes in a few months (a long time to wait I know). I will redraw it as much as needs be to fit all the 'good' submissions.

[09:51:36] @Penelope Skie: oh, so, like
[09:51:39] @Penelope Skie: inter-dimensional portals?

[09:55:33] #Rico: Penelope Skie, Yeah like inter-dimensional portals. I was thinking a kind of aggressive portal thing that can either pull someone aggressively in to the world, or that they can simply walk in to. This should give people the most wriggle room to roleplay.

[09:53:36] Cruella of De Vil: About the map being able to be used across all roleplays, how would that work with things converging across kingdom and freeroam? For example, in kingdom, certain roles are allowed which arent in places like freeroam. Would there be like a clear border as to what can travel across rp?
[09:57:16] #Rico: Cruella of De Vil, it's entirely up to the host how much of the map they want usable. When more continents and areas are added they'll be more obviously separated, first by continent, then by country. If necessary I will draw political borders.

[09:53:38] SupaDupaPikaPowah: do we even have moons
[09:58:04] #Rico: SupaDupaPikaPowah, Assume there's a moon and a sun and that it's close enough in similarity to earth to be sensible but different enough to make sense for my lack of meteorological understanding (the climate is not very consistent)

[09:55:22] Briana (Mawile): rico, did you draw the map that is currently being used?
[09:59:15] #Rico: Briana (Mawile), I drew it, yes. I used a technique in photoshop that I found on imgur, but if we get enough submissions to force me to redraw completely, I might hand-draw it to be more geologically sensible.

Questions I didn't see:

[09:47:28] LumaSoul: That sounds really good...and it'll be a lot more specific, yeah? With areas of interest and the sort? o:
The "smaller" maps will be a LOT more specific. This is supposed to be a world map, but I didn't want it to destroy my computer while trying to make it, so it's only 3000x1800. As a result, the size of the brushes I could use was significantly larger than what I wanted. To cut a long story short, it's a LOT bigger than it looks, and there's a lot of white space as a result. I almost certainly will do that at a much later date, especially if we end up with a lot of really good submissions (since then I can cut the map up in to continents)

[09:47:34] Shuffle ✿ Pharos: Will users be able to claim parts of land as their own?
I think I answered this, but generally no. I want to keep users and characters out of the world map itself, with the exception of the author credits. The moment you say "This is Rico's Castle" nobody wants to play there, or those who do only do it because they want your pants. I like my pants, so it's something I want to avoid.

[09:47:56] Marshall De Vos: Rico, another thing. If we are to design this as by our own imagination do we require a certain amount of art skill ourselves?
I think I answered this too (or will) but I will personally deal with most of the primary map things. The world map itself, and any of the continent maps or the likes. People are free to draw art for the areas they submit or are interested in, and space permitting I might even add it to the official post, but art skill is not required at all. You don't even need to know where something is going just kind of go "I made this where does it go" and I'll find it.

[09:48:01] Hydre(Hydreigon): Is this for FR or you're planning on making it a fully fledged RP with politics and all? Aka Kingdom?
Short answer "Yes". Long answer... this is primarily for Freeroam and will always be active while Freeroam is running. Other RPs MAY use it, and we will likely add enough detail to some of the areas (at a later date) to allow for fully fledged docs to be made from them. Don't quote me on this, but we may add more 'official' design things, such as docs and others.
So basically, it's mostly for freeroam, but if a HOST wants to use the map or a section of the map, they are fully free to do so.

[09:48:46] @Lux (Lucario): Also, um, exactly how much influence will OCs have on the actual world?
[09:49:48] @Lux (Lucario): Would it be possible to say, assassinate the monarch of Highpeak, Rico?

I answer this later but I have no idea what most people are doing in the room let's be honest. What I might do is occasionally do a vote on recent events, things that should permanently change the map one way or the other. I don't want people to go ballistic, but I don't want the map to be static either.

Unsorted Answers

(I'm tired and I want this out before bed)

[10:03:26] #Rico: I don't want to define TOO much before the contest. I might open Cendria up to some ideas at a later date, but I want to finish with the variant changes first, which is probably going to be another 2 weeks.

[10:04:10] #Rico: With regards to the map, I want everybody to keep in mind that it's both pokemon and humans, as well as gijinka that live in this world.

[10:04:45] #Rico: Day of the Dead, The actual map will probably always be drawn by me, I'm only looking for area descriptions from people, not drawing.
[10:05:45] #Rico: The main reason I want to avoid drawing for the maps that isn't mine, is that I want a consistent artistic style.
[10:06:01] #Rico: If you want to add images to your areas that's fine, although they may not be included while we're using forumotion.

[10:08:59] @Penelope Skie: would these portals would be completely stationary, or would they appear at random, like time/space rifts?
[10:09:23] #Rico: There's probably going to be a few that are stationary, but they will also appear at random.
[10:09:53] #Rico: So there will be some places people are able to come/go as they please, but there may be some arbitrary reason why some people can't so people who want to play the stranded nobrocket can do that.

[10:11:27] #Rico: Originally we were going to release the map as it is now on April Fools, but Articuno drew the amazing version you probably saw, and I did my best to make it worse.
(For reference, The Original: http://i.imgur.com/JoKCpmI.png the fake: http://i.imgur.com/l8q7O8j.png)

[10:11:55] #Rico: We won't discuss terribly hard about the contest because it's a long way from now and things may change about it.

[10:13:12] #Rico: Also in case you haven't heard, all (or almost all I dunno) "non-standard" actions done by the rpbot over April Fools were done by me.

[10:16:56] #Rico: Right now, that's (Cendria) the only continent we have defined. When the contest comes around there is no limit.
[10:17:14] #Rico: You can add to one of the other continents, you can come up with an idea for one that's completely different.
[10:17:35] #Rico: However it will be up to Room Owner Discretion about whether or not an idea fits with the current map, or needs to be drawn in.
[10:17:55] #Rico: We'll generally err on the side of things staying the same, as adding stuff DOES take work.
[10:18:06] #Rico: Just not as much as if the map was a single layer.
[10:18:11] #Rico: Drawn in paint or something.

[10:26:43] #Rico: So just to repeat a couple of the questions already asked: The world map will remain largely as it is for now. We MAY open up Cendria for further development before the next contest (Summer/Winter) but we won't be adding more.
[10:26:51] #Rico: So the other continents will remain undefined.

[10:27:21] #Rico: The next contest will be to develop the map further, with everybody able to add to the other continents, or to add entirely new continents and land masses of their own.
[10:28:14] #Rico: There will be no limit of winners, so it's kind of a cheap contest.
[10:28:38] #Rico: Basically as long as there are good submissions, there will be more winners.

[10:29:41] #Rico: Judging contests is a massive drain on staff, as it takes days to go through the submissions we get for the smaller contests. I suspect we'll get more submissions for this, and we'll have to read them all the way through instead of cheating.
[10:29:56] #Rico: So that's why this will take the 'place' of our mid-year voice contest.
[10:30:07] #Rico: Because I don't want to die trying to judge that much stuff.

[10:30:46] #Rico: It's not that the other continents are unknown, more that they are undefined.
[10:30:59] #Rico: You can, right now, say you're from a distant continent across the sea.
[10:31:09] #Rico: You could even say you're from that continent over there.
[10:31:49] #Rico: But the main thing is that if it's not 'officially listed' on the map, then it could later be made an official area not fitting with your roleplay
[10:31:52] #Rico: Which could be awkward.
What I mean here is that you can pick any point on the world map, even the bits with no writing and say "I'm from here!" I'm not going to stop you from doing that and honestly, even in the named portions of Cendria there's plenty of room for artistic licence, towns that simply don't show on a map that large (ever tried finding your hometown on google maps at max zoom?).
However, keep in mind that if you say you're from this continent over here and, when the contest comes around that content ends up changing, well you may just have to adjust your roleplay accordingly. That's up to you though. I won't care.

[10:39:05] #Rico: I'm not going to lie I do not watch 90% of the RP in the room, nor do I expect any of our staff to do so, so updating the map with lore established in character is extremely unlikely.
[10:39:53] #Rico: However I'll probably set up a suggestions thread for the Map, and if there's a lore change people want maybe I'll put it to a vote.
[10:40:02] #Rico: So the world can develop as the room decides.

[10:41:20] #Rico: The time period (of the map/Cendria) is never explicitly stated, which is kind of deliberate.

[10:42:41] #Rico: What do you mean specifically Yujo? I was thinking of letting legendaries stake out a portion of the world map as areas they are "Active" in.
[10:43:24] #Rico: Yeah, I can understand that. Yes, I want legendaries to be ingrained in the lore of the world.
[10:44:24] #Rico: That's why I say letting them stake out portions of the world, as we'll then be able to put their mark on those areas. Not as strong as the original writer might be, but a more subtle thing.
(I was getting sleepy at this point)

[10:48:37] #Rico: A lot of the ruins I put down as a result of volcanic activity. Don't feel limited by what the map presents. Is there a desert island I don't know about? Tell me about it. Not now though, do that for the contest.

And that's all that was talked about. Again, if you have any questions at all, you can post here or ask me on PS. Don't ask staff then complain in your skype chat when they can't answer and sit there wondering why Rico has two legendaries and how everything is unfair because that gets nothing done. I won't ban for questions (this time).

Last edited by Yujo on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : formatting!)
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: World Map Q&A

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:31 pm

Bravado, I must really say that I am impressed with the map at first sight.
Just a suggestion, maybe add a list map legends to be more definitive at least.
I like the idea of being able to actually make stuff in the map, I'll probably make a small town at the edge so that no one will ever bother me during Conquest since the flight will take too long + they don't know where I exactly am >Smile jk
I know this is kinda stupid, but are Customs also allowed to use the map? And if it is, can they like almost change stuff even up to the point of changing the name of the continent? Like using the map only geologically but everything else was changed.

Also Rico if you were the one responsible for the bot's actions, is it your fault for the bot letting Titanic and Study Hour be nominated even though it's void? x) (Yes it resulted to....4 or 5 repetitions of RP Poll >.<)
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:48 am

The map is freely available for anything in RP, including Official "hosted" RPs, Customs and scheduled things for Rusty. I'll add two more versions of the map, one with no names and another with no 'human' features (roads/cities/ruins). While we'd obviously prefer people who are using the map for other things to use what other users of the RP room have created, this entire thing is about giving users more to roleplay and create with. If this means you just want a base to build a world off I'm more than happy for you to do exactly that.
Edit: You can even use it outside of the RP room with your own private RP groups. I won't mind at all, anything that makes you more excited to roleplay.

I'll add a map legend and do some extra work on the area descriptions over the coming week now that there's a bit less we have to work on. I'll also make an enlarged version of Cendria to give a bit more definition.

This map might come off as being 'rushed', and the reason for that is that it kind of had to be. More than anything I wanted this to be released on April Fools (or immediately following), because releasing real features on april fools is great fun. I wanted to make sure everything would be done, but also that it would not be a 'final' version, as I want to continually stress that this map can and will change.

To those who don't know much about me (which wouldn't be a surprise) I'm not so much a roleplayer these days, but rather a Game Master. I do a lot of world and campaign building, far more than I do of character building. One of the things I always make sure to do as a Game Master is to give the players room to make the story I've written their own. This philosophy applies to the world map. I could have sat down and named everything on the map, dumped it and left it for you guys to have fun with. That's not a bad idea, it works perfectly fine for big roleplay companies (Dungeons and Dragons has a multitude of campaign settings just like that). Instead, I wanted to give a base, and to build on that based on what the room wants or needs. This is your map, I'm just putting it together.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:28 am

I've updated the map thread with a Map Key as well as a new, enlarged map of Cendria.

"But Rico the new map looks different. Why are there islands in different places!"
This is largely because I generate islands randomly and I didn't copy the old islands across when I was enalarging Cendria. By the time I realised I wanted islands it was too late to move the old ones in. It also looks different because I had to make it again mostly from scratch, going from this: http://i.imgur.com/y3LWrEl.png as my first major draft.

I will also add a version of the world map with no names and one with no cities to the main post. If people would like Cendria with no names/cities added as well they can ask.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenrir Aesir on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:04 am

Now that the contest pertaining to new locations has come and gone (and the winners have been announced), when will the winning locations be added to the map?
Fenrir Aesir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:10 am

"Soon"

I've been incredibly busy with other things (which has been the case since putting the contest together) so I have no eta on when I'll be done. I did say I'd try to have it done some time during August, but again no promises.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:34 am

Heya, I was wondering when the locations would be added to the world map

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:04 am

With the last of a string of insanity hitting, I should be able to get this done. I haven't been able to work on it for reasons that will likely be revealed later, but that's all good now so on with the show.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:15 pm

Don't worry, I wasn't blaming or anything, I just wanted to know. Besides, if you got more pressant issues, then it's natural to put them first.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down