[Water HO/BO] A Water team without CSKyo?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Water HO/BO] A Water team without CSKyo?

Post by Rean on 4/19/2016, 10:36 am

Hey guys~ crappy teambuilder/battler Rean/Rosabel here posting my first RMT on the forums, hoping I can get suggestions and improvements to optimize my team. Also, no, making a Water team without CSKyo doesn't mean I'm high.

WATER RMT: AT MY BEST

AT A GLANCE

IN DETAIL

DIO (Gyarados-Mega) (M) @ Gyaradosite  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Dragon Dance  
- Waterfall  
- Crunch  
- Ice Fang

The centerpoint of the entire teambuild. At 391.5 Speed (which doesn't change between Mega and non-Mega) and an insane 663.5 Attack (in Mega form) after a single Dragon Dance, Gyarados may not be a rain-summoning leviathan but that sure as hell doesn't stop it from being a killing machine. With its Flying type it can dodge Sticky Web and Spikes damage upon switch-in (though it does take 25% from Rocks if not Mega), and take neutral damage from Grass-type attacks - which this team is particularly weak to, allowing it to set up at least 1 Dragon Dance before going Mega and wreaking havoc. Additionally, Gyarados gets two extremely useful abilities: Intimidate and Mold Breaker. Intimidate is partly the reason why Landorus-Therian tops OU usage and is rather self-explanatory, and Mold Breaker allows the breaking of Sturdy, and negates Storm Drain/Water Absorb. Nothing is safe.

Starmie @ Life Orb  
Ability: Natural Cure  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Scald  
- Rapid Spin  
- Recover  
- Psychic

Boasting an excellent Speed tier, Starmie serves as an excellent fast support. Rapid Spin is self-explanatory because hazards like Sticky Web can become extremely annoying (mostly for Mega Gyarados since the rest of my team that's affected is mostly at a low speed tier). Natural Cure mitigates the team's weakness to burns (BURNS), Toxic and paralysis and serves as a pseudo-anti-status. Scald and Psychic are good moves on Starmie as it retains a relatively usable SpA stat for its Speed. While both serve as STAB, Scald can also be used to fish for burns. Psychic hits harder than Psyshock, though if there's a reason to run Psyshock over Psychic then I'll have it changed. Recover for longevity.

Swampert @ Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Torrent  
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def  
Impish Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Toxic  
- Earthquake  
- Scald

The defensive wall and only reason why I'm skeptical about classifying this team as HO. Rocks whenever it's safe and won't be bounced because Stealth Rock. Toxic to whittle down stall, plus Toxic is the anti-Lugia. Scald for the same reason as Starmie above, and Earthquake to hit whatever's weak to it, because one can never go wrong with EQ. The switch-in to physical attacks.

god (Empoleon) @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Torrent  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD  
Modest Nature  
- Flash Cannon  
- Scald  
- Ice Beam  
- Hydro Pump

Switch in. Kill something. Switch out. Repeat. While not the fastest Specs user around, Empoleon does dent anything that it hits, even at neutral damage. Scald for the same reasons as above, but I have Hydro Pump on the set as a more powerful STAB to hit Pokemon like Volcarona and MSableye. Flash Cannon as my Steel STAB move (yes, OHKOs Kyurem-White). For the last move, Empoleon's Steel typing allows it to take a Grass-type attack and hit back hard with Ice Beam. Sure, it can hit Ground-types too, but 1) Empoleon's weak to Ground, 2) Empoleon can hit Ground-types with Scald or Hydro, and 3) Empoleon isn't the Ground switch-in lol.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Huge Power  
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Play Rough  
- Waterfall  
- Aqua Jet  
- Superpower

The surprisingly bulky Dragon slayer - and the only priority user on the team.Play Rough to hit Dragons and Dark-types, Waterfall to hit whatever's weak to it, and Aqua Jet serves as a priority move to finish off weakened opponents. While Gyarados is not in its Mega form, this is also the team's Dark switchin. I chose Superpower here as I wanted to be able to hit Steel-types who might otherwise wall Azumarill, such as Ferrothorn, as well as Ice-types whose names aren't Kyurem-White. AV allows Azu to switch in safely on most Kyurem-White and Yveltal attacks, both which are prominent threats in the CQ metagame.

Meanwhile (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Volt Switch  
- Trick  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Hydro Pump

The Choice Scarf user to combat other Choice Scarf users. Volt Switch so I can switch to another Pokemon should a switch be forced or to switch into Gyarados after getting a fast kill, as well as hitting Flying-types and other Water-types such as enemy Gyarados and Skarmory. Additionally walls Talonflame by resisting both of its STAB moves. Trick is to put a wrench in setup sweepers like Sigilyph and Clefable, and effectively cripple stall Pokemon which would otherwise be a hindrance to this team (Ferrothorn, Lugia, Amoonguss). Hydro Pump because it's the only Water STAB that Rotom gets. Will-O-Wisp to burn fast physical sweeper without Speed boosts, as Rotom will usually outspeed (being faster than Mega Beedrill with Scarf) and successfully get the burn and hardswitch later.

THREATS

THE TOP THREAT
Affectionately referred to as "Ebolasaur", this thing walls my entire team. The physical bulk allows it to take hits from Pokemon that aren't Starmie like nothing. With reliable recovery this thing can keep healing up and hit me whenever my moves aren't in range, since none of my moves will do more than 50% to it. Giga Drain 2HKOs Starmie and Sludge Bomb 3HKOs non-Mega Gyarados (Giga Drain does slightly less but puts it further away from MGyara's kill range).
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 218-260 (67.2 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 96-114 (29 - 34.4%) -- 3.6% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 96-114 (29 - 34.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 115-136 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 115-136 (34.7 - 41%) -- 59.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If Swampert falls, this Mega will get a LOT of opportunity. Only pray Hydro Pump and Aqua Jet combined can kill it. Keeping Swampert alive is an absolute must in the Electric MU.

more to be added to this list

Shout-out to Fraction for being supportive of my teambuilding endeavors

Last edited by Rean on 4/19/2016, 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Rean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Water HO/BO] A Water team without CSKyo?

Post by Nebulous on 4/19/2016, 11:02 am

I suggest you run life orb on Starmie if you want to have a better chance on beating Venusaur.
Nebulous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Life's Rainbow on 4/19/2016, 11:07 am

Maybe give Starmie more SpA EVs, since Mega Venusaur is 4x weak to Psychic, and Psychic is a pretty reliable Psychic stab.
Life's Rainbow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nebulous on 4/19/2016, 11:10 am

Life's Rainbow wrote:Mega Venusaur is 4x weak to Psychic

no
Nebulous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on 4/19/2016, 12:26 pm

You should have Taunt or Substitute on that Gyarados, the taunt is to stop the dank memes trying to stop you from achieving mass sweeping while Sub also stop the random statuses and gives you extra protection allowing you to at least be able to dance once.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on 4/19/2016, 3:05 pm

Allyson(Ninetales) wrote:You should have Taunt or Substitute on that Gyarados, the taunt is to stop the dank memes trying to stop you from achieving mass sweeping while Sub also stop the random statuses and gives you extra protection allowing you to at least be able to dance once.

You can make an alternative team with that set. Keep trying out the team till you find the one that works the best. Have funsies.
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikhail97 on 4/21/2016, 4:43 am

Well firstly bless you for not using Kyogre

Now suggestions

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

I prefer Hydro Pump over Scald, because I often found myself in a position where Scald isn't enough to kill stuff/2HKO. But then, if you're paranoid of misses, use Scald.

Ice Beam prevents you from getting walled by some mons, also kills Garchomp fast.

Calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 268-320 (69.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 369-437 (95.5 - 113.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Gon do more later

Mikhail97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top