Mary Sue & Gary Stu characters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mary Sue & Gary Stu characters

Post by MonochromeCloud on Fri May 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Okay, so there are a lot of original characters out there. They're all unique, in their own way, if you think about it, despite their similarities with others, because of the way the roleplayer uses them.

But there's this thing called "Character Development", and people sometimes don't even pay mind to it. Some don't even know the term, but subconsciously do it, even slowly. So the thing is, I've seen a lot of characters over my months or years in roleplaying, and I think that it's time for someone to speak out to everyone about the characters that could be labeled as...

Drum roll.

A Gary Stu or a Mary Sue.

A Mary Sue for female characters, and Gary Stu, Marty Stu [citation needed] or Larry Stu for male characters, is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.

First of all, your character DOES NOT have to be perfect. They don't have to be wonderful at all. they could have a lot of flaws, and so what? If you think you can't RP with a character that isn't strong, that isn't intelligent, that doesn't have a golden heart, or that isn't attractive, then maybe, just maybe, you're doing it wrong.

Put some flaws to your character. Would someone's coffee be good with too much sugar? No, unless they want instant-diabeetus. Would someone's steak be good, when dumped with a shit ton of seasoning? No.

Would a picture with too much brightness be pleasing to the eyes? No. You have to put some contrast.

Accept your character's flaws after putting them. roleplay with your character and let others know that they have flaws. Everyone has flaws. Even the characters in award-winning books have flaws, and yet they are loved by many.

In anime, you can see a main character doing stupid things, or a main character not being able to do this, do that, and such. But as the episodes go, they slowly develop either into a shittier character, or into a better one.

There's this book I read recently. It's called "Everything I Don't Want". The main character is a spoiled, bratty, and sassy gay guy. And do you know what the author said to the readers when they tried defending the main character's flaws?

"Stop. [Insert character's name] has flaws. Accept it. Not every character is perfect. He's bratty, he's spoiled, his not kind to his father and only cares for what he needs and wants, and so what? That's what character development is for. Not every character has to be perfect and the flaws is what highlights the characters' assets."

I love the author for that. She made the readers realize that her character has so many flaws, and won't change it just for their satisfaction. Someone doesn't like your OC's flaws? Oh bitch please, they're not everything in the world. There's someone, a fellow roleplayer out there, that will be mature enough to roleplay with your not-so-perfect character, while accepting its flaws (Though their character might not be too accepting. But that's what being in character is for!)

So to all the people with the "Smart, handsome, muscular, 6'7" tall, sexy, seductive, archangel knight demon that has a lot of knowledge about combat and everything", or the people with the "Kind, loving, carefree teen girl OC that is fashionable and nerdy, geeky, but in all the right ways and blushes just because she's so shy around people and stutters so perfectly adorable", try removing some of those fantabulous traits.

Besides, having a character with some flaws is more exciting! Think of how others' characters can make them better, or how they'll interact with an ugly character, or one that's not smart, or one that doesn't have a left leg, or one that has a sixth toe! There are so many possibilities, and the ups and downs make everything so much more exciting.

Feel free to add anything to what I said, or to react! I'll accept both positive and negative reactions, additions, magnets, or some cash donations. Have fun roleplaying, and stay fabulous <3

Edit 1: Changed the title for Ally since it was a good idea anyway

Last edited by MonochromeCloud on Tue May 31, 2016 3:54 am; edited 2 times in total
MonochromeCloud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mary Sue & Gary Stu characters

Post by Kazz on Fri May 20, 2016 2:09 pm

Yesss. +1, this post was long awaited.
Kazz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by madman404 on Fri May 20, 2016 2:17 pm

Yeah, this A LOT. Although Mary and Gary Sue haven't been showing up as frequently in the realm of fiction and roleplaying, they're definitely still an issue demonstrated to us by the younger crowd.

As an additional note, it's definitely worth noting not to take the aversion of Sue too far. While nobody likes a perfect, author-insert character, there is also such a thing as too many flaws. While attempting to balance characters, I have seen people search for crippling diseases to balance out their characters. Let me be the first to say DON'T DO THAT. Flaws do not have to be massive, glaring, "fuck, my character can't do anything because they want to kill themself" issues, rather, a minor thing like a stutter, or being bad with money, or being compulsory, or whatever. Just don't take it overboard.
madman404

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychoreality on Fri May 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Thank you so much for writing this Mono you have made my day

maybe only because i don't have to write it now but you know.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall De Vos on Sat May 21, 2016 5:18 am

I can't express the amount of + votes I want to give this.

It's just so true.
Marshall De Vos
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Flyhn on Wed May 25, 2016 11:29 am

When I first created Flyhn 3 years ago, he was my comic relief character. Look at how far he's come now... he still has a couple funny moments, but he's nowhere near being the complete clown he once was. He's almost a completely different character now due to how far he's been developed, and now he's easily my favorite and most used OC.

In contrast.... there's Poke, my very first OC. He's the lamest Gary Stu ever made, and i'll admit that fully. I refuse to develop him because well... i think shifting HIM into the comic relief role is much better. This overly perfect one minute, overly edgy the next Lucario is the perfect parody of everything wrong with bad OCs, and I LOVE IT. Also it shows me just how far i've come and *preachy self promoting speach here*
Flyhn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Mon May 30, 2016 5:22 am

Aye! This is indeed correct.
Basically to shorten: Nothing is perfect, everyone has their fatal flaw or their flaw

Anyhow maybe rename so that everyone will get the idea of this thread? Though 'Perfection - A Gary Stu and Mary Sue production.' is good in a creative way, but being simple sometimes is okay, just like your OC Smile
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rean on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:26 am

But I'm perfect, so why can't my OCs be?
flips hair

really though thank you
Rean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Can I just share the world's most flawed OC that I have created as the most perfect example of this?

Asteraceae "Aster" Cistara: Despite being an expert on survival and combat, she has so many flaws when it comes to reliance, escape plans, relationships, family, trust, sanity... Yeah. You can see how all that 'good' is counteracted with 'bad'. She's also not that attractive, unless you're into crazy brother killers with pink hair, and she's not the most knowledgable on recipes, only knowing a handful and messing even those up.

So yeah.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top