2D PERSONALITIES AND WHY THEY ARE BAD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2D PERSONALITIES AND WHY THEY ARE BAD

Post by LoreLight on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:04 pm

hello lorelight nation :>) its me killer lorestar and lets get rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooy into the post. i gotta explain why 2d personalities are bad.

1. they are boring lol
generally you want a relatable character, one that can't always succeed which believe it or not. the reason why this may feel boring is that the plot would be extremely predictable and like no human wants to rp with that, it just doesn't really feel right, having a character always succeed in a case where they shouldn't have won, some people should learn that having their character fail isn't at all a bad thing. there also isn't anything wrong with an irrational character, your character can't be always right, personally i feel like a character who is always right is a fuckin nag and a real boring character because i don't look at this room to get vietnam flashbacks.

2. the main reason, it isn't very realistic
alright lets get right into this shit, i was getting ready for this as i slept or something similar to that. "ohohoho lorelight got u buddy LOL, POKEMON IS REAL IDIOT LOL STOP IT KID." this is true but! ! ! the issue is that 2d characters commonly have this hilarious quirk that 3d characters dont have, they are compelled to feel a certain emotion. there's the argument of it being their personality but like dude, im an asshole, but im not an asshole all the time, im not compelled to be an asshole every little moment i get, believe it or not, but like i have empathy for humans also :O. it is in fact possible to act outside the personality you have, though that personality may evoke more dominant emotions that connect to the personality, it isn't like someone who is optimistic is going to optimistic all the time. 2d characters end up not really having any set goals or flaws, even though it is human nature to have both, dont fucking come at me and say "they are shy but it looks really cute" that isn't a flaw lol, if you look cute while you are shy that's not a real flaw buddy, it is actually another good thing you have, flaws have to be able to fuck you up, a negative, a good character with an undesirable character trait that actually fucks up the character in a way, like being shy makes this character unable to actually interact with others, i don't fucking mean stuttering like a tsundere that just got one of those golden blush moments, i actually mean afraid to interact, not being comfortable with characters for a long while, doesn't just get familiar from a single small conversation, acts like an actual introvert and doesn't try and interact with the crowd. oh yeah last point lol, u know those bio thingies, yeah uh if u have a dark edgy history and there's no connection at all in the single backstory to gain a slight little hint of hope or a will to be an extrovert, let me leave you to think about this because im sure you survived long enough to figure this one out on your own, but if you didn't... THERE'S NO FUCKING CONNECTION BUDDY, HOW DO U GET FUCKING DEPRESSED IN AN OVERLY HAPPY ENVIRONMENT, HOW DO YOU GET OUTGOING IN A SECLUDED DARK AND EDGY ENVIRONMENT, ANSWER MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

3. oh man its cliche
yeah if u look at my posts i think u know i have a pet peeve for cliche. let me tell you something, a character with fucking demon powers n shit no fucking way of defeating this kid and he has a dark side. yeah uh what dude, its kinda strange how common this is but like there's a clear issue with doing this my friend, it has already been seen, done, reworked, planned, tried, and failed. as i already said and been trying to say, u end up being boring as shit and like people know how you are going to be like. an archetype is NOTHING you want to do, a character with that cliche ass sadistic shit or or that hero guy who fucking gallant no matter what happens to this buster, dis boi can get jumpscared by the satan of pokemon and doesn't even get phased. oh yeah the big bad edgy rebel types too, uh yeah just don't do it, i know like you may want to make a character who lives life on the edge and doesn't follow rules but like, its predictable, seen, yada yada. there isn't much to cover here because the main point already covers what's wrong with it, man what a complete post.
tl;dr
dont make 2d characters
dont be boring
failure is good
dont be your favorite anime character
LoreLight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2D PERSONALITIES AND WHY THEY ARE BAD

Post by Rico on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:06 pm

I haven't ever heard the term 2d character before, do you mean one dimensional?

I explained this in one of the workshops, but basically if you want to make a rich and diverse character, you will want to give them flaws. Character Flaws in roleplaying are somewhat different to those in life, because the 'ultimate character' can do anything they want whenever they want. This means something like being a sociopath would be a positive trait. When you are trying to add a flaw of some kind, think to yourself "How will this stop my character from getting what they want?"

You don't have to be foiled at every turn by your personality, it just has to be something that will sometimes keep things from going your way. I will say in counter to Lorelight that you're free to make your character's personality anything you want. I usually don't write my backstory until after I've played the character a few times, backfilling to explain some personality traits, or leaving things blank to keep some mystery. Don't worry about being cliche or unoriginal, the most important thing is to play something you'll enjoy playing. If you don't, you'll just abandon that character in a few days and go play something else. Find something you like, play it and develop it in to something you'll love.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoreLight on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:24 pm

Rico wrote:I haven't ever heard the term 2d character before, do you mean one dimensional?

I explained this in one of the workshops, but basically if you want to make a rich and diverse character, you will want to give them flaws. Character Flaws in roleplaying are somewhat different to those in life, because the 'ultimate character' can do anything they want whenever they want. This means something like being a sociopath would be a positive trait. When you are trying to add a flaw of some kind, think to yourself "How will this stop my character from getting what they want?"

You don't have to be foiled at every turn by your personality, it just has to be something that will sometimes keep things from going your way. I will say in counter to Lorelight that you're free to make your character's personality anything you want. I usually don't write my backstory until after I've played the character a few times, backfilling to explain some personality traits, or leaving things blank to keep some mystery. Don't worry about being cliche or unoriginal, the most important thing is to play something you'll enjoy playing. If you don't, you'll just abandon that character in a few days and go play something else. Find something you like, play it and develop it in to something you'll love.
yes i meant one dimesional its the same basically as 2 dimensional things are flat and i always addressed plain characters as 2d characters, i have personal biases against cliche characters because they end up looking automatically 2D because it has already been done, im fine with a cliche that doesn't trigger me, but if its like a yandere i will not tolerate it. but i should've added the part about how the flaw should stop what the character strives for, i agree if it wasn't already implied
LoreLight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Gonna butt in to add in anothet little factoid.

If you're planning on making an outside fandom based character, STOP. Outside fandoms, and I will remind youx are banned by any and all means. You may accidentally name a character after an outside fandom character and have the OC act nothing like the character in question. But making it basically a Pokemon version of the character? Unacceptable.

Case in Point: Chara, which means "joy" in another language, my Leafeon, is literally a bundle of joy wanting to spread peace and love. She is nothing like the Undertale character, in the sense that mine likes seeing others happy and traveling all over and the UT Chara just wants to be alone and everyone else dead.

Yeah, I think I set the perfect example.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoreLight on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:37 am

Dreaming Asriel wrote:Gonna butt in to add in anothet little factoid.

If you're planning on making an outside fandom based character, STOP. Outside fandoms, and I will remind youx are banned by any and all means. You may accidentally name a character after an outside fandom character and have the OC act nothing like the character in question. But making it basically a Pokemon version of the character? Unacceptable.

Case in Point: Chara, which means "joy" in another language, my Leafeon, is literally a bundle of joy wanting to spread peace and love. She is nothing like the Undertale character, in the sense that mine likes seeing others happy and traveling all over and the UT Chara just wants to be alone and everyone else dead.

Yeah, I think I set the perfect example.
merci mon amie
LoreLight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top