Removal of Prom

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Removal of Prom

Post by Rico on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:36 pm

Some of you may have seen this coming, but we are removing Prom as an official RP. Its primary issues are that it exists mostly as a Romance RP (something we avoid) and that it attracts a lot of roleplay that is against the room's rules (how many times do we need to say you can't spike the punch?). The RP is generally flawed and can be easily covered by existing RPs.

You can ask for further information in this thread and I will be happy to provide it to you. I was going to save this announcement until after I've done the map stuff but staff have never been so united on an issue. While grieving the loss of this RP, please keep in mind that we have an RP called 'Freeroam' where you are free to roleplay pretty much anything you want. If you and a few people want to have an RP dance party, or you want to see a relationship blossom between your character and another, there is no reason this cannot happen in Freeroam.

Story time
I realise the "We avoid Romance RP" may sound odd to many of our newer users. Over a year ago now the room was a very different place, with Freeroam split up in to "Wild Life" and "City Life". Often these would have additional 'modifiers' such as "WL + Trainer" or "CL + Gijinka", one such modifier was "Romance". This meant that the RP was focused on romantic relations between characters, at the exclusion of all other RP. Many people crossed the line with this, which is why we have strict rules on romantic interaction in the room, but the reason we forcibly removed that is that it was encouraging bad RP. There's nothing wrong with characters being in a relationship, but forcing people to either be in a relationship, looking for a relationship or to not rp at all does not lead to particularly enthralling characters. You want that RP, that's fine you take your character and you go find someone for them... but it was wrong then, and wrong now, for that kind of thing to be forced on to users.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Removal of Prom

Post by Day of the Dead on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:48 pm

i have been waiting for this for too long.

prom was extremely flawed, creating different types of shitpost because of hate and also eliciting RP that became not only repetitive but also really low-quality because of teenagers looking for a relationship but they're too afraid to actually get one irl. it was also really annoying how people would be set as the "host" just to post music that others listen to and do nothing else but bold randomly. sure, goldy stellar's first appearance was prom but it was just so damn flawed.

thank you rico.
Day of the Dead

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDWU5FOc04

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueDogXL on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:50 pm

Can someone tell me what Wild Life and City Life were like (in some detail)? It seems interesting.

BlueDogXL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:51 pm

They were like freeroam, but with half the options. Wild Life was purely forests and such. City Life was purely cities. Freeroam merged the two so that you can roleplay in a city or in a forest without needing to win a poll.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueDogXL on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:56 pm

oh, thanks for clearing it up
though I think Prom was like City Life a bit

BlueDogXL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:02 pm

No, it wasn't. Prom was its own RP at the time. City Life was literally just cities, usually abandoned because the default was pokemon only. +trainer meant you could play humans, +gijinka meant you could play gijinka. City Life RP was almost exactly the same as Wild Life, which is why they were merged.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueDogXL on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:18 pm

oh now i get it
thanks

BlueDogXL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshni on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:29 am

huh. not to mention the fact that people would try to tip the polls in proms favour to have the RP die out fast.

Oshni

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychoreality on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:53 am

Well, rest in peace sweet prince. Let your punch be spiked forevermore.

But in all seriousness, I hope you guys all understand where we're coming from with this decision. I understand the appeal of Prom, but the way the RP was running just caused so many complaints and derailed the room significantly.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall De Vos on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:20 am

Finally we have hope in that the continuous bashing of RP comes to an end, I have enough quotes of people who begged for the RP to end while RPing in Prom even ;;
Marshall De Vos
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fennec Fox on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:45 am

Oh my.

To be honest, i wasn't exactly fond of Prom. I didn't mind it, but at the same time, it kinda 'restricted' me into one space and one age group of OCs (If hosts forced the age group thing.) I didn't really mind those things, i just disliked them.

Im not sure whether to say, "Au revoir" or "Good riddance." Ill go with the former, it was a nice RP in some cases.
The Fennec Fox

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:24 am

So they it's removed. What do I think? Well I do have mixed feelings about it, but mostly I'm just happy. Not to be evil or anything, I'm just no fan of Prom since there's so much shitpost, argument, godmodding and well I think you get my point. It's also very very unpopular, since it's forced to compete against Godfather Freeroam who mostly wins the variant poll.

As a question, can someone do a Prom doc and nominate it as a custom? (like Survival atm) or is it literally not allowed anymore in any way(since the room intro said: 'banned from RP').

EDIT! Additional question: Is having a Prom inside other RPs illegal? (like my PokeHigh that has a Prom late in the RP)
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:47 am

Assuming the doc is detailed enough that it is not the Prom we currently know, yes. You cannot nominate a "custom freeroam", so it would have to be something actively hosted. (DJs, while holding the host rank, are not hosts)

If your RP would benefit from a prom-like thing there's nothing wrong with including that, just as there's nothing wrong with including a school in a Kingdom RP, or being on a boat in Freeroam.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon555 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:22 am

You Will be missed Pram,... But not by me.

-Dragon Maestro
Dragon555

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuetsu on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Wow. I didn't see this coming, nor did I know that people "spiked the punch." Probably because I'm holed up in Amphy 24/7. But. Honestly, from the things that I've read from here, and from what I've seen, I'm actually glad to say "Farewell Prom."
Ryuetsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top