Say no to "Pun Wars" and other stupid Cruise events

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Say no to "Pun Wars" and other stupid Cruise events

Post by Lawful Evil on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:10 pm

hi there everyone it's ya boi lawful evil here to talk about a very serious issue plaguing our beloved roleplay "Cruise"

yeah you guys know what i'm talking about: the shitty cruise events. namely, rap battles, gender swapping/body swapping, and the newest addition: pun wars, along with any other illogical or plain out terrible event. we really need an official ban placed on these absolutely horrid events because frankly they get REALLY shitposty, and encourages waves of OOC since there's usually little to no legitimate roleplaying which spawns discussions about the participants in the event, as well as the fact that(worst case scenario) trolls who are scouting out the room see people shitpost and automatically assume that the room's staff are lax as hell on rules, which they aren't.

first, let's talk about rap battles, the scourge of cruise. these events are practically infamous for being overused, unoriginal shitty events, and people who participate in them have little to no skill. usually, it's during these events that the cruise inevitably ends, usually in main. now, rap battles have been deserving a ban for a long time due to the fact that, as i said before, it's unoriginal and often frowned upon for generating so much OOC. i've never really preferred Cruise as a roleplay in the first place but it's events like these that make me cringe and continue to dislike cruise as a whole. it makes the roleplay look bad and seems to encourage shitposting.

aight, let's move onto genderswapping/bodyswapping events. now, these events are a lot rarer for whatever reason, which i won't be going into to save time. if you've ever seen one of these events, you'll be able to tell that they're pretty cringy and utterly pointless. more often than not they're just fillers for dead cruises and are a feeble attempt to save a dying roleplay from tipping over the edge. i'm not sure if there's been an official ban for these events before, but at least now they're strongly discouraged. if you're aspiring to make a cruise doc and are reading this, just please don't use gender swapping/body swapping as an event.

okay, now the event i REALLY despise: puns wars, which have only become more recent. they're basically rap battles but with puns and are usually SUPER disorganized and.. well, i can't really put it into words. they're just all around awful. no one in main or rusty really knows how to make a good pun so it's normally just random jokes that aren't really jokes smashed together into a paragraph, which is then praised for being hilarious. let's take a look at an excerpt ripped from a recent pun war/battle. i've deleted the player's name for their sake.

'Mr. Mime then stands up on the Podium and reads his Pun: "That one time i watch the Pyroar King was "ROAR"some, that it made me go Kakuna Rattata! And Emma, one thing to say randomly to you that your Onixpected Joke is overrated!"'

well, at least he was right about the "onixpected" joke being overrated, because that is true. listen, kids, if you wanna make puns, don't used overrated puns. anyway, back to the original topic, the reason why pun battles are so disorganized is because no one ever thinks to give a topic you have to make puns ABOUT so it's really just a free-for-all and it's hard to determine a winner since you'll be making equally goodbad puns about two completely different topics. more often than not, the topic that people are making puns about diverges into a completely different tangent and suddenly you're making puns about radioactive waste when originally you were joking about trees. basically, like rap battles but more cancerous.

our last point of discussion is rather short, but let's talk about.. well, just random events in general. it's not funny when your event is "suddenly its raining tacos XD" or "nyan can jumps up from the ocean and KILL EVRYONE!1!!" it's just extremely shitposty and induces tons of ooc. please don't do this ever, it physically hurts me to see a fairly decent roleplay like Cruise utterly decimated and its name reduced to shreds by roleplayers who make a joke out of it.

so, what do you guys think about these kinds of events getting an official ban? it'd be nice to put an end to these filthy, over used filler events. cruise hosts, please try and have some originality and only use DECENT events, or better yet, just come up with some events on your own with a couple of other people who aren't totally incompetent. yes, i know that sometimes mods put a stop to these horrible events if they get too out of hand but they really shouldn't exist at this point. it'd be nice to encourage some originality in a room that's infested by cliches, whether it be cliche characters, settings, or backstories. let's hear your feedback.

make sure to subscribe for more Rantful Evil xDDDDDD

okay, you can burn me at the stake now for my opinion.
Lawful Evil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Say no to "Pun Wars" and other stupid Cruise events

Post by Articuno on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:26 pm

The sad thing is that on the example cruise doc I made, it never mentions events. People decided to add that in of their own accord, perhaps because they felt like they HAD to direct the RP in a certain direction (even though in the 'Guide to Hosting' at the bottom, it says it's not a good idea to force things onto the participants). 

I'm not saying events are a bad idea, but I do agree that rap battles, pun battles, and gender/body swapping generate shitposting. For that reason alone we could probably propose an official ban, though keep in mind I'm not promising anything. In any case I wish people would think for just like, two minutes on what a Cruise would actually be like. 

Having been on a cruise myself, I can safely say that there are no rap battles or pun battles, but there ARE Trivia competitions. Doesn't that sound more fun? Also gender/body-swapping isn't even possible... ughhh it really frustrates me when people do that but at the same time the users are the ones who vote for the host and luckily I don't really participate in Cruise so I don't have to deal with that kind of cringy stuff. 

Anyway, I've kind of ranted as well. Point is, I wouldn't be averse to banning these events. We were hoping to give Cruise a little bit more direction by forcing a host in, but there will always be people who have no idea what they're doing. Hopefully we can improve the RP in the future.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:10 am

Sad to say that it's true. Cruise, back then in my first days, was my favorite role play. Especially Ignis's cruise, Jesus was that good and enjoyable. But then for the next six cruises...Rap Battles and Body/Gender switching EVERYWHERE. The only one that was borderline acceptable was age reduction.
It's an extremely serious problem that must be fixed.

You won't believe how many cruises I've seen that have been ruined and endpolled just because they had one of those God-awful events. Nobody even does age reduction, that was actually, in all decency, fun.

An idea for a Cruise event? Just make up your own! Like ArtiCuno's Trivia Competition, or my swimming races! Tournaments usually take forever, and lead to end polls sometimes, but occasionally they're fine.

I really do hope that those shitty Cruise events wither away. They generate tsunamis of OOC, give everyone a bad time, and invites trolls who think the rules are lax. That's my opinion on the events.
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Endurr on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:28 am

those events do cause a fuckton of shitposting and memes lol XDDD, and even though it's a pokemon cruise, i cannot believe that people dont take into consideration what actual cruises are like

a acceptable event to me would be like a Pokemon trivia competition, or the cruise going by a school of mantine and the participants swimming with them.

lets just hope they die down
Endurr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Celeste13 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:54 pm

I think the Cruises that do well usually have decent events, and the ones with bad events get endpolled. If the data shows the opposite, then maybe something should be done. But otherwise, I wouldn't ban specific events because a "bad event" is very subjective. I like the events where they give away random eggs or tons of Eevees invade, but some people might think those are too random or too silly.

Celeste13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top