Roleplaying Bot Rewrite: Progress Updates and Suggestions

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roleplaying Bot Rewrite: Progress Updates and Suggestions

Post by Morfent on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:01 am

Some of you won't know me, but I was the original author and maintainer of Roleplaying Bot, and was Room Owner in the room for a period of time before retiring. Roleplaying Bot and BoTTT's designs have always had problems, and now that they're starting to show their age I think it's time we fix that. Lux (Lucario) will be teaming up with me to start rewriting Roleplaying Bot from scratch, particularly to make it more stable, but also to fix the flaws in BoTTT's design that impeded adding new features.

This will take at least a few months to finish, and it likely won't make its first appearance in the room to show that something's  being done until it can log in. Either way, I have the plans for writing it all thought out, and this is roughly how progress will go:

• Make something that can connect to the server [DONE]
  • Finish the first half of interpreting messages sent from the server [DONE]
  • Make it possible to log in [DONE]
  • Ditto the last half
  • Track rooms and users
  • Write the system it'll use to track information in a database
  • Plan out a template for commands to follow
  • Write the part of the bot that manages RPs
  • Finish with binding the RP commands with the RP manager

Now's the perfect time to ask suggestions, since there's no other code in the way yet to complicate things.

Last edited by Morfent on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 4 times in total

Morfent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roleplaying Bot Rewrite: Progress Updates and Suggestions

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:33 pm

Looking forward to that. Is it gonna be hosted on a local server or with, uh other PS bots? Also,language?

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morfent on Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Haven't decided who or where it'll be hosted yet, but I might get a VPS to host it on like I used to. It's written in Node.js with Babel for the missing ES6+ features.

Morfent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotom's Pokedex on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:28 pm

I suggest adding a system that auto-mutes some words such as: /me Dabs, ****tty memes, John Cena and other things. Just so the mods won't get strained.

hi, i'm no longer active but thanks for seeing this dump, pls contact me on Pokefarm
• dump •:

Did you expect to find anything important in here? No? Just take some dancing birds.

credits to top.mailbox on PFQ for avatar
Rotom's Pokedex
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:41 am

Pokemon Showdown has a banword feature which we already use. The banword feature currently used in roleplaying bot is purely for evasions of our filter, which will automatically ban uses of those words. I'm not upset if we lose that functionality, in the event it's annoying to add back.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morfent on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:43 am

That wouldn't be fairly difficult, but it'd have to wait until I'm almost done the rewrite before I can add it properly.

Morfent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:54 pm

This sounds difficult but maybe add something that will track a user's hidden commands, namely /nick? I've seen trolls get past mutes and bans by switching names and stuff like that, and I know there's a command to see which users leave, join, etc. but I know mods aren't going to pay too much attention to that when they're trying to do mod things.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychoreality on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Dragonite99 wrote:This sounds difficult but maybe add something that will track a user's hidden commands, namely /nick? I've seen trolls get past mutes and bans by switching names and stuff like that, and I know there's a command to see which users leave, join, etc. but I know mods aren't going to pay too much attention to that when they're trying to do mod things.
If there's a troll using /nick, they also have to go to great lengths to not get that name banned (I actually learned the process through some raiders and it ain't easy) which would make it very tough for even the bot to track it. Generally ban evasion is a much larger issue than a bot can handle anyway. Sure, it'd be nice if the bot alerted an evading user but coding that would be a logistical nightmare, not because the process can't be done, but detecting evasion is a lot harder than it seems if it's done correctly.

Also, you'd be surprised how much staff members absolutely adore showjoins. It's so helpful to pick up potential trolls or smaller things like a host leaving without warning.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:31 am

Not sure if this is the right place I should be talking about this. It concerns the bot auto-blacklisting people with banwords in their usernames. While this is good and all (considering it helps prevent trolling), it also bans users who join with no intend to troll and just have that 'offensive' username (I've seen users been blacklisted for having a username with like, 'peacock', in it). I'm just saying maybe try and think about this again?
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morfent on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Dragonite99 wrote:This sounds difficult but maybe add something that will track a user's hidden commands, namely /nick? I've seen trolls get past mutes and bans by switching names and stuff like that, and I know there's a command to see which users leave, join, etc. but I know mods aren't going to pay too much attention to that when they're trying to do mod things.
The bot can already see when users rename. To keep track of people evading mutes would be rather complicated, while ban evasion would be impossible for it to track.

Fraction wrote:Not sure if this is the right place I should be talking about this. It concerns the bot auto-blacklisting people with banwords in their usernames. While this is good and all (considering it helps prevent trolling), it also bans users who join with no intend to troll and just have that 'offensive' username (I've seen users been blacklisted for having a username with like, 'peacock', in it). I'm just saying maybe try and think about this again?
That's more an issue with fixing the regex used for banning cock in names in .rab than an issue with the command itself. The new bot might not even need to have .ab/.rab since blacklists are getting added to the server itself soon.

Morfent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morfent on Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:28 pm

Bear in mind I didn't forget about this, I've been focusing more on improving PS' performance lately, which takes up a lot of time from waiting for the necessary steps to run their course. I'll have plenty of time to work on it while I wait for the stuff I need to host it installs, so expect updates soon.

Morfent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawful Evil on Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:05 pm

add a feature for freeroam that automatically generates a weather and time at the start of the rp as a guideline for players to start paras with. obviously not everyone will have to/want to abide by this if their plot doesn't but it makes it easier for players who are starting off alone to paragraph without spending extra time thinking of a weather and time for their setting, and for players who are roleplaying together or planning to to agree collectively upon a time and weather
Lawful Evil
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchidio on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:40 pm

make the bot host conquest
no im actually serious bot seems capable of hosting cq

"Uncle Grandpa is my favorite anime"
"Why the fuck is this show on Adult Swim im switching to Nick Jr."
I can make your legend doc look as amazing as Julius Cole Roblox Hater's rapping
Friend request me or I kill your house
Im an OFFICIAL CHRISTIAN DRIVER
I can sprite whatever you want as long as you don't fuck up with details
I play offline Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and im prolly better at it than you im a saiyan
I maine water in cq
I have a deviantart
I try not 2 shitpost
Roleplaying room driver
U can call me Enchi Enchidio or whatever just dont call me Raelcontor kthxbye
Enchidio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Gracetail on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:56 pm

Enchidio wrote:make the bot host conquest
no im actually serious bot seems capable of hosting cq

Has been considered, it'll have to be implemented later, with discussion with the ROs

A Lucario in a longcoat. . .  How dangerous could he be?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

Lux Gracetail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:10 am

At present we don't really think Conquest should be bot hosted. The host isn't just filling in a document, but they also need to be ready to make judgement calls on potential rulebreaks and to keep an eye on the actual RP going on. It would also be way too easy to abuse.

For bot to host conquest you'd end up with the following.
Bot would need a command to apply for lord.
Bot would also need a command to assign a knight, which would mean that lords would need a specific permission so they can set their own knights, but knights can't just declare they're a knight of a kingdom.
Bot would need a command for a successful conquest. This would need to be used by the loser of the battle to avoid abuse, so it would essentially be a surrender command.
Bot would also need a command to release kingdoms.
Bot would need a command for alliances. Ideally you could just do this from warlords, but if users abuse this (and they will) you would need it to be done by all the people who will be in the alliance.
There are others, but they've escaped my mind for now.

The trouble is that a bot hosted Conquest is just way too easy to abuse, and to make it abuse free would require so many redundant commands, or to make those commands only usable by voice and above. This would be far from ideal, as it would mean all conquest are essentially hosted by roomauth, which is unfair on them.
The system we have now is not perfect, but it works, and it's relatively simple.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next