Roleplaying Bot Rewrite: Progress Updates and Suggestions

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Roleplaying Bot Rewrite: Progress Updates and Suggestions

Post by Kiraro The Kitsune on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:12 pm

oh, never mind that, she does run on the latest node.js. I just did a little mistake when naming the configuration file, wrote "config.js" instead of "config".
Kiraro The Kitsune

View user profile https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/roleplaying

Back to top Go down

Post by Fervis on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Currently, the rp bot's message when an rp ends looks like this. "PM Roleplaying Bot with .nom [RP] to nominate the RP you want to be next. Remember to only PM RPs you can host and PM staff your customs." I feel that the first line may be a little misleading, as some people may rush to PM the bot before reading the second line, getting themselves muted in the process. Thus, I propose to rewrite the first line to look something like this: "PM Roleplaying Bot with .nom [RP] to nominate the RP you can host next." Maybe it is a little clearer this way?
Fervis
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SleekzZero on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:59 am

I have a suggestion.
Usually with new hosts, it can end up to be a problem with how they handle things because for one, when an endpoll is running, they seemingly end the rp, which could overstack the code and cause an overflow in the script, rendering the bot broken. And secondly, the commands can be abused depending if the host repeatedly ends up spamming the same command over and over again. Maybe if we can add a script to the bot that will prevent the use of .endrp command so that the command will not stack itself when an endpoll is running? Hope you take this into consideration, since this had happened a lot of times now.
SleekzZero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychoreality on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Fervis wrote:Currently, the rp bot's message when an rp ends looks like this. "PM Roleplaying Bot with .nom [RP] to nominate the RP you want to be next. Remember to only PM RPs you can host and PM staff your customs." I feel that the first line may be a little misleading, as some people may rush to PM the bot before reading the second line, getting themselves muted in the process. Thus, I propose to rewrite the first line to look something like this: "PM Roleplaying Bot with .nom [RP] to nominate the RP you can host next." Maybe it is a little clearer this way?
You can't say that having two lines instead of one is the reason people get muted. "PM RPs you can host" is in bold. If people miss it, that's their fault for not reading everything. At least, that's my stance.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Fervis on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 am

Psychoreality wrote:You can't say that having two lines instead of one is the reason people get muted. "PM RPs you can host" is in bold. If people miss it, that's their fault for not reading everything. At least, that's my stance.

True, true. I guess you are right.

Last edited by Fervis on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Fervis
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:59 am

Maybe perhaps in a situation like that, add a command to remove yourself from the list of users who .nom'd the RP? Or if you were going to have time to host but an emergency came up?
RP bot can remove you from the list of people at the end of the poll saying "this rp was nom'd by these people" or if you were the only one that chose that RP, it wouldn't show up on the poll at all?
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:13 pm

If you nominate an RP it's because you can host it. It's a seriously dick move to nominate an RP for somebody else to host. You're basically saying "I want to play this RP but somebody else has to do all the work"

If something comes up, just let a staff member know "Hey something came up and I won't be able to host, sorry." and leave. Shit happens, we understand.

Edit: If you're asking for just a straight up "Remove Nomination" command that might actually be okay. Not a coder so I don't know how hard it'd be to implement.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Rico wrote:If you nominate an RP it's because you can host it. It's a seriously dick move to nominate an RP for somebody else to host. You're basically saying "I want to play this RP but somebody else has to do all the work"

If something comes up, just let a staff member know "Hey something came up and I won't be able to host, sorry." and leave. Shit happens, we understand.

Edit: If you're asking for just a straight up "Remove Nomination" command that might actually be okay. Not a coder so I don't know how hard it'd be to implement.

Yes, that's kind of what I was going for. I didn't intend the meaning of the post to say "I'm going to nominate someone else."
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchidio on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:23 pm

I have yet another suggestion.
What if there's like some sort of list in the bot's code with customs, their hosts, and documents? So for example, say a poll has Freeroam, Conquest, and a custom. The custom wins, and because of the code, the custom name will set the document and the host. Though there may be issues with people who have permission to host, it is always possible to simply set another host. Still it may be an issue...
But yeah, I don't see any other issues and I think it could make something a bit quicker (though not by much).

"Uncle Grandpa is my favorite anime"
"Why the fuck is this show on Adult Swim im switching to Nick Jr."
I can make your legend doc look as amazing as Julius Cole Roblox Hater's rapping
Friend request me or I kill your house
Im a voice
I can sprite whatever you want as long as you don't fuck up
I play offline Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and im prolly better at it than you im a saiyan
I maine water in cq
I have a deviantart
I try not 2 shitpost
Roleplaying room driver
U can call me Enchi Enchidio or whatever just dont call me Raelcontor kthxbye
Enchidio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm

I don't see much point to adding a ton of customs to the bot. It doesn't take that much time to set a document or a host. I don't know how complicated the coding aspect would be but it seems like a lot of superfluous work for something that's already easy enough to do. Not to mention we already have a huge list of customs and having it stored somewhere twice is just overkill.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Morfent on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:23 am

Rico wrote:At present we don't really think Conquest should be bot hosted. The host isn't just filling in a document, but they also need to be ready to make judgement calls on potential rulebreaks and to keep an eye on the actual RP going on. It would also be way too easy to abuse.

For bot to host conquest you'd end up with the following.
Bot would need a command to apply for lord.
Bot would also need a command to assign a knight, which would mean that lords would need a specific permission so they can set their own knights, but knights can't just declare they're a knight of a kingdom.
Bot would need a command for a successful conquest. This would need to be used by the loser of the battle to avoid abuse, so it would essentially be a surrender command.
Bot would also need a command to release kingdoms.
Bot would need a command for alliances. Ideally you could just do this from warlords, but if users abuse this (and they will) you would need it to be done by all the people who will be in the alliance.
There are others, but they've escaped my mind for now.

The trouble is that a bot hosted Conquest is just way too easy to abuse, and to make it abuse free would require so many redundant commands, or to make those commands only usable by voice and above. This would be far from ideal, as it would mean all conquest are essentially hosted by roomauth, which is unfair on them.
The system we have now is not perfect, but it works, and it's relatively simple.

Rule of thumb: KISS. Setting up a list of commands purely for one type of RP would set a bad precedent for what kind of commands the plugin should have. Automating the whole RP setup process is reasonable, but making commands for niche purposes that may not be helpful at all for any other servers just serves to make the plugin more complex than it needs to be.

Morfent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am

Okay so here's something random. Since chat rules are enforced on Conquest Battle Chat, why not have the bot join in the battle to moderate? Well okay if I think of the procedure it sounds hard since the bot has to go in, moderate, go out, then join something else, moderate, leave.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:35 pm

The bot is not moderating battle chats. Not now, not ever. That will always require human intervention, not machine.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3