OCs with dead parents/orphan trope

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OCs with dead parents/orphan trope

Post by Koki on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:34 am

I normally don't post a lot on the forums, but there is something that needs to be addressed about the families of OCs, mainly their parents.

Now to most OCs' parents are either not mentioned or they live somewhere else. Some people even rp as parents to another OC, which is perfectly fine. Now other people have their OCs' parents have been killed or died. This is called the orphan trope or the half orphan trope if only one of the parents has died. There is nothing wrong with having OCs with dead parents. Sure this might be grounds for something "edgy" (that word has been watered down so much, it's not even funny), but it can also be used to have an OC strive for a new goal or step outside their comfort zones. Dead parents does not mean katana wielding, glowing red eyes, scar over the eye OC. Now if someone wants to do that, then let them. You don't dictate what someone else wants to roleplay as. Roleplaying uses imagination, so let them be and focus on you and your OCs.

Viva la vida~
          Koki
Koki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OCs with dead parents/orphan trope

Post by Lura Alkina on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Screw it.

So my OC, Lura Alkina (No dip sherlock), has a dead Mother, while her Father just hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

Now, the thing is that one of Lura's pokemon, Herba (her Lilligant) was her mother's, given to her while the mom was on her death bed, dying a peaceful death.

Also explains Lura's behavior to live life to the fullest (or at least enjoy it) in her own way, A.K.A. relaxing and a few (more than a few) moments of danger. Because no matter how much she loves her mother, she doesn't want to disappear without leaving some mark on a large amount of people, whether through fighting, making friends, or just honestly hoping in some way to leave a big enough impression on a person so that they would remember them.

Why?

Because no matter how much she may seem like a carefree, hotheaded, occasionally daredevil trainer who wouldn't hesitate to attack someone if they sneezed in her direction, she is afraid of being forgotten. Dead, or even if she is still alive, she has a fear of being forgotten...

Why I wanted to mention this? I don't know, because I could, I guess...
Lura Alkina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top