Save Files in Custom RPs and DnD, and What To Learn From Balance in Trainer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Save Files in Custom RPs and DnD, and What To Learn From Balance in Trainer

Post by Psychoreality on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Okay, I feel like this needs to be said. "Save files" or saving characters in progression-based customs and DnDs is really unfair to new players. Really, REALLY unfair. They aren't completely bad, and in some customs having characters saved is great. However, in most DnDs that aren't small-group campaigns in Rusty, saving characters is stupid, because the players who play more often have objectively better characters than new players, and the new characters either don't get a chance to do anything or can't beat the tougher monsters. An argument I've seen to justify this is "get good" or "play correctly", which when you're only lacking in a numbers game is code for "grind". We don't roleplay to grind out menial enemies, or do boring things that aren't fun. This philosophy ruins pacing, lessens the amount of attracted people, and eventually kills the RP. People who create saves need to design balance around these saves, so that everybody is on an even playing field throughout. Trainer is a good RP to take hints from in this respect. Everyone always has the same level cap, the same amount of badges and roughly the same items and moves. DnD should also be like this. Give out kits at certain points in the adventure to keep everyone roughly equal in equipment, and make new characters start at the lowest level of the active party, not at Level 1. It would not be hard to keep the adventure balanced with this idea in mind. However, there is no fun in grinding or waiting for grinding to finish because of a badly balanced party. With these ideas in mind, I hope "saves" in customs and DnD become less unbalanced and more about keeping a good adventure going. I really like the concept and use it myself sparingly, but I always make sure to keep things as fair as I can.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Re: Save Files in Custom RPs and DnD, and What To Learn From Balance in Trainer

Post by Enchidio on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:24 am

exactly why the only buffs i do in my dnd are going to higher stages which is pretty damn hard, and usually when they do i make everyone else in the entire rp go stage 2 too

Last edited by Enchidio on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total

"Uncle Grandpa is my favorite anime"
"Why the fuck is this show on Adult Swim im switching to Nick Jr."
I can make your legend doc look as amazing as Julius Cole Roblox Hater's rapping
Friend request me or I kill your house
Im a voice
I can sprite whatever you want as long as you don't fuck up
I play offline Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and im prolly better at it than you im a saiyan
I maine water in cq
I have a deviantart
I try not 2 shitpost
Roleplaying room driver
U can call me Enchi Enchidio or whatever just dont call me Raelcontor kthxbye
Enchidio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Endurr on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:34 am

psycho wrote:snip

i was a huge advocate for dnd but i really agree with this because it's actually really true
save files basically shouldn't exist because it makes things for newer players harder, and it's only there so people's progress isn't erased which is stupid because it's a roleplay, not a actual game where you grind.

tl;dr save files are stupid yeah
Endurr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sceptile Named Energy on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:19 am

I have seen a few DnDs that do balance this out. For example, one I've seen is where every few runs, the host bumps up the amount of points you can allocate in your stats. Which does seem like a successful system but yeah, most safe files are a tad unnecessary.
The Sceptile Named Energy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Duskland on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:01 pm

I have seen a few DnDs that do balance this out. For example, one I've seen is where every few runs, the host bumps up the amount of points you can allocate in your stats. Which does seem like a successful system but yeah, most safe files are a tad unnecessary.

That does seem like a smart idea.

Anyways save files only work in a few scenarios such as an army RP where the RPers battle against a large army, and the newer players can fight the weak grunts that can be taken out in one or two shots, giving the newer players time to catch up with the stronger players as they take on something of their skill level which may take a few.
Duskland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychoreality on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:14 am

Duskland wrote:Anyways save files only work in a few scenarios such as an army RP where the RPers battle against a large army, and the newer players can fight the weak grunts that can be taken out in one or two shots, giving the newer players time to catch up with the stronger players as they take on something of their skill level which may take a few.
Personally, I'd argue that even this is entirely bad, because you're talking about the very thing that in this post I'm saying is a bad design philosophy; get good by grinding. In something like a DnD, skill is not a very powerful factor in fighting your basic enemies, so it's not like players are actually less skilled than low-level grunts, it's entirely based on numbers. Honestly, I dislike numbers being overly important in a format like PSRP where the action moves much faster than your average tabletop game, but that's beside the point. The point is, you shouldn't EVER need to slow down or stop the action for people to just grind to gain power.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top