[Bug Lord RMT] If you liked Genesect, we suggest Pheromosa.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Bug Lord RMT] If you liked Genesect, we suggest Pheromosa.

Post by Fenrir Aesir on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:46 pm

A new generation of Pokemon games brings new tricks to every type, and I decided to jump on the bandwagon and try my hand at some Conquest types that I previously gave little thought to. At the forefront of these is Bug, for two reasons. Number one was that I found Ribombee incredibly cute and swore that I would find somewhere for it to be viable after I failed to catch one while playing Sun. Number two is OU's current menace, Pheromosa, which frankly should have been quickbanned to Ubers. And then I learned that Ribombee could learn Baton Pass, and what you see before you is the result.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Compound Eyes  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Thunder  
- Bug Buzz  
- Sticky Web  
- Energy Ball

Standard lead Galvantula. After setting up Sticky Web, it can proceed to fire off a 91% accurate Thunder, or another attack if it likes. I opted for Energy Ball over Giga Drain because any HP Galvantula is going to restore won't last for long with 70/60/60 defenses. Ideally, Galvantula sets up its webs and switches out, able to come back in later to revenge kill Water-types with Thunder.

Ribombee @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Shield Dust  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Quiver Dance/Calm Mind  
- Baton Pass  
- Bug Buzz  
- Moonblast

Assuming that the Baton Pass clause remains, Ribombee will run Calm Mind instead of Quiver Dance. The idea is that it passes whatever boosts it has to Pheromosa, who proceeds to go to town. This thing speed creeps Noivern, Greninja, Mega Salamence, and Therian Tornadus, among other threats. Ninety-five base Sp. Atk isn't too shabby either, as at +1 Ribombee can 2HKO Mandibuzz, Rotom, and some Giratina sets.

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Mild Nature  
- Bug Buzz  
- Focus Blast  
- Ice Beam  
- U-turn

The bane of OU takes up my Mega/legend spot here, and with good reason. This is a fairly standard set in Smogon's current OU metagame. With a Choice Scarf, Pheromosa is able to come in to revenge kill things with less than 601 Speed, which includes some Pokemon with Sand Rush or Swift Swim in their respective weather conditions. The Mild Nature lets Beast Boost raise its Special Attack without reducing Special Defense (the way a Rash Nature would-we might as well make some use of Ribombee's passed Sp. Def buff). Chansey can potentially give this set a hard time, but after Stealth Rock Pheromosa can get a guaranteed 2HKO (though it risks a Toxic in the process). But where will be get this Stealth Rock from?

Armaldo @ Leftovers  
Ability: Swift Swim  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Rapid Spin  
- Stone Edge  
- Knock Off  
- Stealth Rock

Right here! When it comes to Bug-type Stealth Rockers, there are few options: Forretress, Armaldo to some extent, and...Shuckle? Okay. Armaldo has the advantage of being able to use Rapid Spin and Knock Off in addition to Stealth Rock, but there isn't very much else here. It's great at taking physical hits, so the goal is to switch it in on one, spin away hazards, get rocks up, and get out so it can come back in to spin later if it needs to. Yeah...

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Roost
- Giga Drain

Enter my counter to rain teams, which could return with a vengeance thanks to Drizzle Pelipper. "But Volcarona is weak to-" Shh. Giga Drain handles Gastrodon and Mega Swampert well while also being a way to mitigate (God forbid) Stealth Rock damage. Roost also helps with longevity, while Quiver Dance is always appreciated on Volcarona. Fiery Dance is chosen over Bug Buzz for coverage, most notably other bugs.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Guts  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Stone Edge  
- Megahorn  
- Close Combat  
- Sleep Talk

Standard revenge killing Heracross. Sleep Talk is present almost exclusively for Darkrai's Dark Void (which to be fair has been nerfed to 50% accuracy) and Smeargle, Shiinotic, and Amoongus's Spore. There may also be some things that could run Hypnosis (Ninetales and Xurkitree come to mind).

Thank you for reading this! As I said above, I'm not especially proficient in usage of Bug-types, so any assistance in bettering this team would be appreciated!
Fenrir Aesir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Bug Lord RMT] If you liked Genesect, we suggest Pheromosa.

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:11 am

Pheromosa is still banned as of now in CQ. Ribombee pass without quiv dance is really, really suboptimal, and you'll want bulk over spa to ensure you're actually surviving to pass something. Giga drain is used on sashvantula to get back at max if you take chip damage and ensure sash procs. Guts scarf is not something I see too often in CQ, but it can work.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by XanthopoulusLurks on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:50 am

Hey.

I have kinda been out of touch with Pokemon generally, but I noticed something eyecatching that is a savior for Bug.

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Poison Jab
- Mirror Coat

This will serve as a shield to Volcarona and Scizor(Consider to mega it), offering Fire and Water resistance. It will also be the SpD wall Bug never had. Water Bubble halves Fire damage, so a plus. EV is to outspeed Base 50 pokemon with 0 speed investments like Chansey.

*Reminder, I noticed Leech Life is now 80 Power, so it will do good.

Also, I would suggest using Forretress as a spinner, Rocks are generally bad for Bug.

Forretress @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

XanthopoulusLurks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top