can we talk about cohosts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

can we talk about cohosts

Post by Lawful Evil on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:07 am

welcome back ladies and gentlemen to another Original Chron Thread

today im here to talk about cohosts. now, i hope yall know what this is, if you dont i suggest you keep reading to educate yourself on this wonder of nature. basically, a host has the permission to set cohosts to their rp, as many as they want. it doesnt give the cohosts any special permissions, its just a way of denoting that they are officially helping with running the rp, i guess. now, yall have probably seen cohosts in rps like mm or cruise before, right? ironically, that's the rp where they're needed the least.

the problem with cohosts
okay, first order of business. the problem with cohosts. now, dont get me wrong here, i am not saying in any way that there should be no cohosts at all, because trust me there are a fair few rps that are hard to run without 'em, like customs or whatever. but heres the thing: i see WAY too many mediocre roleplays being run with cohosts. now im talking about stuff like mm and cruise. you dont NEED a cohost for that stuff. in mm a lot of people have cohosts just to help with polls or to put in another edgy self insert character, which is super duper unneeded. go do the god damn 2 minute polls ya self, you lazy dingus host.  in my opinion, it should be encouraged that you should only add cohosts when you need them. i see way too many people getting overinflated egos from helping someone host a cruise for 30 minutes. it also slightly enrages me when i see people who ask at the beginning of their rp, "PM me for cohost!" NO. NO. promise me that any of you reading this thread will NEVER do that shit. cohosts should be people you genuinely trust and know they'll do a good job, not just some random greninja who pms you first. cohosts can make or break a rp, so choose wisely.

too many cohosts
now, onto the next topic. i see people who are hosting rps like cruise, mm, trainer, stuff that often requires minmal effort setting two to three cohosts. you should NEVER need that many cohosts for an often minimal-effort roleplay in main. it just shows that you are a lazy ass person if you need that many people to help you run something for 30 minutes. the roomowners and room mods should try to encourage hosts to set maybe two cohosts maximum for roleplays like customs and dnds because the worst thing you want to do is show the room it's okay to be lazy and not do anything yourself in your roleplay. you need to show people that if you pull your own weight you get somewhere, and the fact that people are setting this many cohosts for something like mm isn't setting a good example.

the conclusion™
in conclusion after all this, i want to suggest a few things to help improve this sudden cohost craze.
a) the most obvious solution is to set a cap on the amount of cohosts you can set. i'd say 2  maximum.
b) maybe during a workshop mention a bit about cohosts, and how they can actually affect how well a roleplay turns out.
this isn't a super big issue and i'm overanalyzing a lot of this, but i feel like if we put in effort to fix a little crack in the dam like this it'd be a road to improving this whole place. also, since i mentioned mm so many times, i'll let you guys in on a hint: my next lecture will be about the unholy rp itself.

anyway, thanks for listening to my two cents on this issue and have a great day folks
Lawful Evil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: can we talk about cohosts

Post by Psychoreality on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:09 am

Honestly 2 cohosts is already too many imo. One cohost for MM is fine. One cohost for DnD and customs is fine. In Kingdom and Conquest cohosts are unnecessary. In Cruise if you need a COHOST when you're only really calling events and not even handling updating a document there's something up there. Too many cooks spoil a broth, as they say.

All in all good post very nice
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top