Upcoming Short Story Contest

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which Short Story Contest would you like?

59% 59% 
[ 47 ]
41% 41% 
[ 33 ]

Total Votes : 80

Upcoming Short Story Contest

Post by Articuno on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Hey all, as you probably know, the next contest (summer contest) will be happening around June/July-ish. We'd like to give all of YOU the chance to choose which kind of short story contest will be happening. A description of each type is listed below, so be sure to read through them all before choosing! The one that gets the most votes by the time the middle of the year rolls around will be the one we end up doing.

Note: There are only two options because they had the most votes as of February 5th.

1. Themed Short Story (List) - Your story must be based on one of ten themes. If voted in, these themes will also be chosen based on a poll (out of 20). An example of a theme would be a Pokedex entry, "rewrite a cliche", or perhaps just a word ("Justice").

2. Unrestricted Short Story - Your story may be based off anything - including outside fandoms or original creations. The only exceptions are adult themes and other inappropriate content.

Last edited by Articuno on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Upcoming Short Story Contest

Post by Psychoreality on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:27 pm

I think having a list of 10 or so prompts could be good. It gives the writer some starting point but still a lot of freedom to do whatever they want. After that, perhaps an unrestricted short story, but Option 2 is my first choice.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazz Fantasia on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Restriction breeds creativity - I don't think I have anything else to say. Option 2 gets my vote, frankly. And as for the 'themes', I think simpler thematic ideas like 'justice', 'loyalty', or 'good vs evil' would work just as well.

Jazz Fantasia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotom's Pokedex on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 am

Although anything is fine, I am interested in Option 3. The reason behind this is because many people have large amounts of workload, combined with school/work/etc. If you only have to write a couple paragraphs, it'd be easy on the majority of the RP room; and, ironically, I am working on my own short story as of right now. So, all in all- an easy and rewarding contest to test one's creativity.

Last edited by Rotom's Pokedex on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelled.)

hi, i'm no longer active but thanks for seeing this dump, pls contact me on Pokefarm
• dump •:

Did you expect to find anything important in here? No? Just take some dancing birds.

credits to top.mailbox on PFQ for avatar
Rotom's Pokedex
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Aerial-Noivern on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:25 pm

I'll vote for Option 4, please. I like the idea of total creative freedom.
Divine Aerial-Noivern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Kilea on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 pm

I think I'll have to vote for Option 3. I think writing a story based off a theme seems great, as it gives you freedom. Also, you could tell a lot by looking at how they handle such theme in their story!
Though, that is just how I look at it.
Lady Kilea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueDogXL on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:10 am

I think Option 2 with Pokedex entries would be cool.

BlueDogXL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:34 pm

I agree with Option 3. I like the idea of themes because restriction breeds creativity-as said by someone else in this thread-so it has my vote.
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am

I like all the ideas and they all seem appealing and fitting for the next contest, but as much as I hate restraints this also allows people to prove how creative they can be since it's highly possible that one may have to work on something they're uncomfortable with. Also this option helps others minimize the vastness of the topics they want to use and so I'm putting my money on Option 2- owait I don't have money.

Last edited by Allyson(Ninetales) on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Storm Z.Volt on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:49 am

I would say Option 2 gets my vote. Most users have a hard time deciding because of exploding imagination or they need something to 'inspire them'. This seems like a great option to choose overall.
Storm Z.Volt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TurtleWarlord on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:06 pm

I'd rather do unrestricted. So Option 1. Mostly whenever I'm doing anything in… anything, I enjoy trailing off the theme and doing something on my own. When I was a kid we had to do this little thing where we would make cars, you got points for design. I didn't use a ton of parts and just made an entirely different thing from the original idea.

So, yeah, maybe I'm not the best for it. But I'd rather not have to be restricted by a theme-- even for reading it, I'd much rather see stories with VAST differences. Even if you have a theme, it still has to connect somehow, I'd much rather see a bunch of individual ideas. That's about it. I'm honestly fine with whatever but it's still a preference.
TurtleWarlord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lovely Lurantis on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:37 pm

I say unrestricted, I do not write well when there is a theme and I prefer writing about outside Fandom aswell. I like to write what I feel like writing, I write best when I'm writing what I WANT to write.
The Lovely Lurantis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vudu on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 pm

I will have to say Option 1, because I'm too terrified of doing a short story with no restriction. I could submit my scary story, but it's not really that good anyway, and it's probably too long to be a 'short' story. 1,150 words is too much, right?
Vudu

View user profile http://theuselessweb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Just to make things clear: As always, we do not accept pre-written entries/stories. All entries must be written solely for the contest. If you do write stories in your spare time, that's really awesome but please do not submit an already-written story to the contest. 

That being said, there are no length restrictions to the story... usually we recommend 1-3 pages because we expect at least 50 stories and we don't want to tire our judges out too much. If you want to write more than that it's okay - just don't submit a full-length novel.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassie AKA Spear (Absol) on Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:54 pm

I'd personally like the unrestricted too, so Option 2 is mine, as I too don't like being restricted when writing, and I have plenty of outside fandoms that aren't Pokemon that I'd like to write for a story too.
Cassie AKA Spear (Absol)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top