RP Variants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RP Variants

Post by Articuno on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:57 pm

As most of you know (if you don't, now you do), the RP room has a rule that says 

"Outside fandoms are not to be used in Official Roleplays. If you have an official RP (such as PokeHigh, MM, Kingdom, etc.) that disallows the use of Pokemon, you MUST run that as a variant or at the very least make it clear to the other users. Simply saying that it's stated on your document does not count as making it clear. Custom RPs may contain outside fandoms* if given permission by the host as long as they are within the bounds of the other Roleplaying and Global rules. (*except MLP)"

While this rule has existed ever since the rewrite of the rules, until now it has not been properly adhered to. Please understand that from now on every RP other than Freeroam must have a variant poll. 

To clarify a little bit: This is mainly for official RPs that include outside fandoms. We do not want to restrict people from having outside fandoms in their RP, but we also cannot allow it to run as just a base RP. If you include both outside fandoms AND Pokemon in your RP, it still must run as a variant.

Note: The only exception to this is Kingdom. Kingdom has traditionally had more medieval/mythology-based roles. As long as a Kingdom has "Pokemon" as a possible role then it does not need to be counted as a variant. If a Kingdom completely disallows Pokemon then it must be run as a variant.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: RP Variants

Post by Lawful Evil on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:05 am

interesting rule, i feel like this will lead to some complications on what is/isnt a variant and may cause some hassle during setup, but we'll have to see where it goes. i feel like for rps like MM, pokehigh, and cruise there won't be many variants cause hell, how are you supposed to make a variant of that, but this'll help things like DnD because we have seen an increase in DnD like customs

also, a question: what constitutes for a variant now? i feel like the bare minimum for it to be a variant would change depending on rp
Lawful Evil
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:45 pm

I agree that MM is difficult to have a variant for, but PokeHigh and Cruise are incredibly easy to make up as something else. For example you could do something like a witchcraft school with humans only or a futuristic cruise with aliens. 

Anyway, the basic definition of a variant is: A roleplay with the same (or similar) mechanics as an official RP that either 1. changes a battling mechanic (such as Doubles Conquest or LC GvE), 2. contains an outside fandom while retaining the same mechanics as an official RP, or 3. does not contain any Pokemon while retaining the same mechanics as an official RP (if the world itself has Pokemon but the players may only play as a human/gijinka, it won't count as a variant). 

Some people seem somewhat confused as to what "mechanics" are - and the simplest way to describe that would be the way the RP is played. Therefore if you think you have a custom RP, but your general premise is a "party-based adventure with rolls for combat", it'll probably be slotted under a DnD variant.

Last edited by Articuno on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinselvan on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:29 pm

Articuno wrote: Therefore if you think you have a custom RP, but your general premise is a "party-based adventure with rolls for combat", it'll probably be slotted under a DnD variant.

umm..as far as i've seen...almost every custom is party based adventure with rolls for combat...
I'm stil confused on what makes it different..
true some rp's have a completely different mechanics...like the one with the city making, and sims...oh and that pikmin one..that was nice

but then most of the customs are infact party with rolls...

Kevinselvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan Fitzmagic on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:38 pm

Kevinselvan wrote:
Articuno wrote: Therefore if you think you have a custom RP, but your general premise is a "party-based adventure with rolls for combat", it'll probably be slotted under a DnD variant.

umm..as far as i've seen...almost every custom is party based adventure with rolls for combat...
I'm stil confused on what makes it different..
true some rp's have a completely different mechanics...like the one with the city making, and sims...oh and that pikmin one..that was nice

but then most of the customs are infact party with rolls...

Those customs will now be run as DnD variants most likely. One of the major things that made a lot of rps customs (the outside fandom clause) does not immediately make rps customs anymore so that will cut down on a lot of customs and instead make them variants of their respective rps.

Also with the custom approved list providing better communication among staff, we are able to know which ones have been approved and check over them better. Thus coming to much more clear decisions than in the past.
Ryan Fitzmagic
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top