The Rise of "mods pls" and Why It Doesn't Work: A Guide To Minimodding and Reporting Trolls

Go down

The Rise of "mods pls" and Why It Doesn't Work: A Guide To Minimodding and Reporting Trolls

Post by Cradle Cat on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:06 am

This is a major problem that needs to be sorted out. I want to cover two points in this post. First, I want to tell people why telling staff who is misbehaving in chat DOESN'T work, then come up with a solution that does. Honestly, the amount of strife this spam causes staff and users is far more than is worth.

Saying things such as:
AUser: ((mods Troll is trolling!))
User_6: ((mods pls mute Troll for shitposting!))
ImAPikachu: ((mods! Troll!))

It doesn't help. In fact, generally we need to scroll up in the chat to see the context, and then punish based on that. 90% of the time it's also minimodding. Telling staff that x user is breaking y rule is pretty much the clearest example possible. This can cause plenty of problems for staff as well, having to argue against people saying that people do it all the time so it's okay for them to do it, no matter the context. That's the golden word, people; context. Staff take issues on a case-by-case basis, and what is or isn't across the line may differ from person to person, or case to case. There will always be differences in opinion.

So what do you do? Easy. PM staff when a troll or spammer is attacking the room. Provide logs in order to show what is happening, and it can be dealt with faster. Generally staff will be able to break up longer fights and raids, but singular trolls are always handy to be picked up on by other users as long as they report it correctly. Hopefully this tip will change:

Roleplayer360: ((mods pls save us from Troll))

Into this:

Roleplayer360 (whisper to StaffHelper): please help, Troll called everyone stupid in chat: [relevant log]
StaffHelper (whisper to Roleplayer360): Thank you, I'll deal with that right away.

Using this simple tactic, maybe the RP room will become a more fun place to be for both users and staff, since the OOC floods associated with trolls will dissipate and we can just focus on actually RPing.
Cradle Cat
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of "mods pls" and Why It Doesn't Work: A Guide To Minimodding and Reporting Trolls

Post by LumaSoul on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:13 am

To add: if anything, screaming out "mods!!" just makes things worse by basically letting the troll win - they wish to sow discord in the room, and letting out shouts for staff makes it so that they've "won" in a way. Some extra tips for properly reporting an issue:

- PM the last staff member you saw actively chat in the room. They're most often still around. Means you get responses quickly.
- Do not, and I mean do NOT senselessly PM or highlight for the most insignificant of things. Time and time again have I seen the RP room do this, and I honestly dislike it a great deal. Sure, somebody bolded one or two words, it's not worth crying about. Save PMs for more serious issues, please. You'll be ignored and probably laughed at for tiny issues.
- Don't PM Synthia. She's not worth your time.
- Either PM a log of the troll/shitposter in question OR show their name and the gist of what they're doing, as Psychoreality has shown above. This enables us to act with haste. Don't just say "mod, (user)", you need to tell us specifically what's wrong.

This trend needs to disappear. It only causes further issues in chat, along with what the troll's already done. Not very fun to sift through.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rise of "mods pls" and Why It Doesn't Work: A Guide To Minimodding and Reporting Trolls

Post by skyivs on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 pm

I agree with this but I don't think people will be comfortable looking at the logs and having copy pasted it if something drastically offends somebody well they don't want to look at it
I agree they just want attention... I have experience with trolling and from my experience i can tell you 50% of the time I only do it for attention just to see how they handle it and what things they say

But this is a good idea I agree with this thread
Weeb out
skyivs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Yung Kujo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:10 pm

yea so stop fukin highlighting me with your kujo bullshit man
Yung Kujo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MeninhatheMismagius24 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Interesting. Seems fair. Neutral Wink silent
MeninhatheMismagius24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:51 am

I want to clarify that saying "mods, -insert username of troll-" is not minimodding. However, saying "mods, ban/mute -insert username-" is. Minimodding counts as essentially telling a staff member to do their job. 

I also want to say that I personally don't actually mind if people highlight staff with 'mods' and a username. Yes, we have to scroll up for context (unless it's super obvious) but that doesn't take more than a minute at most. PMing is fine but I wouldn't hold it against anyone who is just trying to help by highlighting a troll. This may be a personal preference sort of thing - and I completely understand if other staff get annoyed by the constant highlights of "mods" every single day. 

However, I want to highlight a point that Psycho made, which is that some people do it constantly for the smallest thing. In this case it becomes really obnoxious and definitely more distracting than helpful. If you're unsure whether or not someone is breaking the rules, then I encourage you for sure to PM a staff member for clarification. But please do not say "mods" if someone says two words in caps. 

To address what SkyIVs said: If you are personally affronted, offended, or disgusted by something a troll said, then you are by no means obligated to notify staff about it. I don't mean to encourage the bystander effect but if you genuinely do not want to see something a troll posted just look away and don't feel pressured to look into it further. That is, after all, our job and it will be taken care of eventually.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiraro The Kitsune on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:47 pm

The amount of OOC is increasing a lot and by that I mean, the driver Jazz Fantasia having to call for less OOC like 5 times in no time at all. Everyone I the room get really alarmed when a troll enters the room and does it trolling, yelling for mods to come and help, fighting back with insults, insulting the troll for what it's doing and so on, the room goes crazy and starts the usual OOC flood and spam. PMing the auth currently present is much better but there will still be one user that will obviously post in chat so it might take time to adapt this completely into the room. By that maybe the rooms intro banner could have a "Do not highlight mods for reporting trolls." line or something.

The little concern n this suggestion is that a couple or many will end up PMing one single mod for one troll, or end up PMing multiple mods, multiple times and then storm the mods PMs. Still, it's a better approach also, maybe not supposed to be even asked or said at all but, can't more Voices become Drivers for at least a day? Recently Globals have had to enter the room and keep it under control, today only there were 4 Global mods and 1 Global Driver, other times users have had to summon a Global to kick a troll out, it's been a mess lately and voices have been in the room, sadly they are powerless, so maybe those that stay at night could be promoted to driver temporarily. Whatever the case that is up to you it's still a better approach to PM mods and maybe reduce the storming in the room.

Lastly, we have a resident very helpful bot that mutes for flooding limit 5 lines and stretching limit 18 characters (I think), can't it mute for other stuff like the long list of banwords? Surely it must have that moderating feature.
Kiraro The Kitsune

View user profile https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/roleplaying

Back to top Go down

Post by Cradle Cat on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 am

Kiraro The Kitsune wrote:Lastly, we have a resident very helpful bot that mutes for flooding limit 5 lines and stretching limit 18 characters (I think), can't it mute for other stuff like the long list of banwords? Surely it must have that moderating feature.
All banwords are stored server-side, blocking them from speech in chat. Banword evasions are stored on bot and are an instant ban.
Cradle Cat
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by LumaSoul on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Kiraro The Kitsune wrote:By that maybe the rooms intro banner could have a "Do not highlight mods for reporting trolls." line or something.
Some people actually highlight properly though. It's really the very annoying and tedious highlights that are a problem. Making a rule + notice about highlighting staff in chat would make people feel as if they can truly do nothing, and would simply set us back as it locks out one mode of communication.

Kiraro The Kitsune wrote:also, maybe not supposed to be even asked or said at all but, can't more Voices become Drivers for at least a day? Recently Globals have had to enter the room and keep it under control, today only there were 4 Global mods and 1 Global Driver, other times users have had to summon a Global to kick a troll out, it's been a mess lately and voices have been in the room, sadly they are powerless, so maybe those that stay at night could be promoted to driver temporarily.
This is already being done, albeit not very frequently. This is because we have to account for not only trustworthy users being online, but also room owner availability as only they can promote users to moderator ranks.

Kiraro The Kitsune wrote:Lastly, we have a resident very helpful bot that mutes for flooding limit 5 lines and stretching limit 18 characters (I think), can't it mute for other stuff like the long list of banwords? Surely it must have that moderating feature.
Already being done by both the server and Roleplaying Bot. The problem with RP bot is that while it's almost always online and has automated moderation features, that's just it - automated. It's very easy for the bot to "ignore" something because it hasn't been programmed to act. Of course, if you set something commonplace as a ban phrase, then you might snap up somebody who's actually abiding by the rules. That's why trolls are able to slip in, since we can't account for everything ever.

edit: if there's an issue, then you can ping me! I practically live in RP.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevinselvan on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:21 pm

On this issue, i feel like , like this if you will

Trools! Big hairy scary. We never liked them, there words and swords made of things we must not talk of, gods! the very sight is forboding. We weree powerless, but then we called on the heavens for help, Or warcry? "MODS!!!"

There game came with their ban hammers, and mute arrows. showers rained, as the troll was dead...

or something along those lines....
Kevinselvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am

Not a lot of people in the rp room know that /whisper was a thing, me included.
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:34 am

Mobutt wrote:Not a lot of people in the rp room know that /whisper was a thing, me included.

The thing about that is that it kinda clogs our PMs. It's another way to do it, but I personally don't like it. But I'd rather you do that than put it in the chat.

Poison for life!
OC's:
Kraljica Svinec - Naganadel
Sabre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum