Things need to change.

Go down

Things need to change.

Post by Zester on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:45 am

(Note: I'm writing this past midnight, so if it's gross or needs editing in some places, you know why. I know many of the room isn't going to read this post in it's full, but I would suggest it if you're trying to make the room better.)

Hey guys, Zester here. I've been a part of the room for about... 4 years now, and I wanted to first say: There are a lot of things wrong with the room.

As there are other rooms on PS, as many things aren't perfect, but this room in particular has suffered the worst amount of hate on PS that I've experienced due to how... unwelcoming it is. Sure, there was ways to get fixated on how to RP, but with the new trend of RP groups developing, the difficulty is trying to get yourself included in whatever RP, especially when you're new, the community is suffering. As a broad idea, the difficulty, in my personal opinion, is a bunch of things.

There's some things people consistently underestimate, constantly take advantage over, and more importantly, and don't expand from. I've watched many new users come and go from the RP room. There's complaints as well as compliments. More complaints, however. The community in the RP room has grown so much from back when I first joined, but that isn't always a good thing. People of ages ranging from 8 to mid 20s, which even today surprises me. The problem I see often, or one of my most famous complaints, is that the RP room doesn't provide the same type of quality that other rooms do. Yes, I get that we're a different room that has a different style from other rooms, but they're not exactly wrong. Anger towards each other, constant disregard of staff's demands, consistent useless highlight and annoying behavior just to gather attention, all the things that are potently dragging the RP room down. Not everything is a joke, especially over the internet. You can't always highlight Arei for the hell of it, as it's quite obnoxious and stupid. This type of behavior is dragging the room into "daycare" status. There's been many times, and I speak for some of the other staff members, when I feel like I'm taking care of small children who have no common sense. People who find more enjoyment in arguing the 7 minute mute instead of taking it. People who purposely act like immature brats just to get their way. Going out of their way to sneak past what the moderator says just to get more enjoyment. Exaggerating terms like "-kun" "-sama" and "-chan" just to be more and more obnoxious. This isn't fun for the room, it's trolling. I see it as, there's more obvious trolls in the room who randomly join just to spam or break the rules on purpose, and then there's trolls within the rooms who take time to complain and not do anything. The people who find it funny to purposely act as if they're cooler than cool and can get away with anything because if they get muted, a whole team of their friends will go to defend them. This is wrong.

I think a lot of problems stem from time between RPs. There's usually a lot of time between RPs to discuss almost anything related to the room, and people take advantage of it. Shitposting, not looking forward towards the next RP, and worst of all, exploiting that time to continue doing small RP things for fun. The definition of shitpost, as defined by me, is "any post that is completely useless, one that is purposely made to be annoying, distracting, didn't need to be said, and most importantly attempting to start an argument of sorts" This happens in OOC too, by the way. This type of behavior that is without purpose does nothing but derail the room from it's ultimate goal of trying to provide a good community of Roleplayers on a pokemon battle simulation website. It was hard enough to get this room to become even a thing, and now it's being stunk up by people who're ruining it from the inside out? I'm not going to stand for it. There are some changes that need to be made. There was once a time when people would use the time in between RPs to reminisce about the RP they previously got out of, or get excited for the new RP/putting their custom RP on the poll.  I haven't seen anything remotely comparable to that in years.

I could give you a list of small items that need to be fixed, but I'm trying to center these on the problems I find most endearing for the future. People attempting to stink up the room with arguments, people forgetting what a genuine mistakes, and people who make changes to the system without telling anyone. Saying something just to get a reaction out of someone that is made to get them in trouble is wrong on so many levels, and there's literally a rule on being rude to each other. There's difficult in identification on the rule, but it's still there. Saying things like "you're just salty" "salt poll" "looks like i knighted for an idiot lord" are all things that need to stop. There's no reason to consistently use OOC when an RP is ending. You either A. finish up your RP with your partner(s), or B. Don't talk if you were never part of the RP. I see little reason in having to create a discussion in OOC when an RP endpoll is going on. It's downright rude to the host, and it's another big thing that's killing the room.

I've had my fair share of complaints, whether it's been towards me, towards the room, towards the developing community, etc. I've dealt with enough trolls to gain complaints about my behavior, but you can't honestly tell me that a room will stay perfect forever. I've seen people complain about how the room's changed, and how it basically sucks to see how things have changed so much that they don't get the same feeling as before when they came on to talk to their friends. I've seen people full on romp on the existence of the room as a whole, consistently saying that it shouldn't exist and conducting raids on it to shit up the room more. I've seen people even highlight their romps just to shit on the room more, saying things like "no wonder RP gets raided so much" "this room is such a laughing stock". This type of bullshit -sorry, 'complaints', are not helping anyone. Just sitting their to complain and act as if there is no way of changing it are another thing I find so obnoxious about users in this room. If you want change, try for change, not just sit back and complain. I sound like a hypocrite, I know; but I'm at least willing to suggest ways of change. I'm sure half of them wont go through, but the idea is I'm not satisfied with the room currently, and instead of leaving, instead of giving up, just to sit back and complain instead of help, I'm working to bring up and suggest ideas for the room.

It's gotten so bad that there's been hardships among staff members while trying to deal with such an unstable rooms. The difficulty of spending hours on end watching the room, working to constantly make sure it's clean of invading trolls, breaking up obnoxious disputes, dealing with the people who believe they "know-it-all" and can go around what staff say, having to deal with children arguing constantly about stupid stuff, and the pressure of apparently always being "perfect" for each of the users. You all take a moderator position way too lightly, as there are many things that come with the position that're essential towards keeping the room moving. There's so many things that many of you don't understand, and yet being immature is your first train of thought.

Look, I'm done romping on the room. I guess I've given all the things that have been on my mind. I'm sure there's so much more I could add, various other experiences I've talked about/witnessed with other staff members. It's about time I try to make a difference, yes? So here's some ideas:

1. There are more friends than you think.: The community aspect of this room is what people first see when they join. If you want the room to expand, you must be open to trying to RP with new people. Never steer yourself down to a group of people that you only RP with. Always remember how you started meeting people in the room, and thus reflect that through your openness to RP with different people. The less (Open)'s I see at the end of messages, the better. Never be afraid to try someone else, even if that person may not be the most appealing person to RP with. You don't know if they're new, and it looks a lot better helping someone new instead of simply avoiding them and sticking with a small number of people you're willing to RP with.

2. PLEASE try to ease up on the Shitpost: Shitpost of all proportions is something that has haunted the room for much longer. Little discussions or happy go-lucky conversations about RPs in general are one thing, but useless banter, continuous RP for no reason, purposely being difficult, and highlighting staff just to highlight staff (even while they're AFK) are things that really need to stop. This type of behavior is what rots the RP room down to what is it today, and though it'd been going on for awhile, it needs to take a giant step back so it may be revised and better understood.

3.Staff aren't idiots: I could go on and on about how much staff put into the room. Hours of time, dealing with obnoxious trolls, people who refuse to listen, having the patience to even attempt to try and comprehend the stupidity of some, all while being human and dealing with problems in real life that takes time away from the room. We sometimes have our moments, but that doesn't mean it's instantly time to chime in, capitalize on that one mistake to ruin that staff member. It's time to understand that we're not that far off from you, and we have off days just as much as the many users that're in the room. We're here to volunteer and help the room, and the last thing we need is a brat flaming in our PMs instead of recognizing the actual problem. If you get the chance, why not review the rules before calling out a staff member?

4. If you want to complain: If you have a genuine problem, don't hide it and tell your friends, don't complain about it in the room, don't sit back and watch the room burn instead of voicing an idea of change,GO TELL SOMEONE. I've seen way too much "this needs to change" or "i wish things were back the way they were before" and it's honestly driven me insane. There's literally a Help & Suggestions thread of the forums, and I could careless how many people think the forums are innactive. If I thought that, I wouldn't be posting here. I can't speak for every staff member, but I am still active on the forums, working and hearing suggestions that I can then highlight for my other staff members to see. Every suggestion is noted and at least has some thought given into the idea. Taking your time to complain there would be a lot more helpful than writing out what you think sucks about the room and how none of your old friends come here anymore because it's all changed. If you have difficulty accessing the forums, or feel you wont get answers as fast, you can easily talk to literally any staff member about IDEAS, (not ranting) that you believe could bring the RP room back to the one you used to love.

5. Emmerse yourself: This might relate a bit to my first point, but don't ever be the straggler who just comes to the room just to meet with friends. Leave your mark in a positive way. Make customs to help further the room, or help by hosting the RPs to so we can keep the system moving. Continue to be a valued presence, and try to stand out. Be that person who is willing to RP with anyone, willing to host, help provide customs and various ideas to the room, and most importantly, don't be afraid to be you among this varying community.

Well, that's all I had to say. With these changes or potential ideas that I've highlighted, I hope you get an understand of the potential that the Roleplaying Room's community has. I wont be responding to any messages after this unless I need to clarify anything in my post, but feel free to have a discussion and voice your ideas that could continue a follow up conversation. I hope you all at least got the chance to read this, and if you didn't, that's okay too, I guess. I have time. Why not just give it a quick read?

Last edited by Zester on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 am; edited 6 times in total

I'm just some wiz kid
Zester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Things need to change.

Post by LumaSoul on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:55 am

Staff also aren't lords or above the "common rabble" or "regulars". just treat them like normal people, it's not difficult at all. another thing would be that whole highlighting of mod thing for pointless things like "/me hugs arei" or similar...while it's not wrong to be a friend with a mod or whatever, don't pester them for irrelevant things when you should really be highlighting them for conversation if you're already in one with them, an RP prompt or for actions e.g. moderating the room if PMs somehow fail to work.

That whole /me shitpost spam in between and after RPs really needs to go off and die by the way...it's shitpost as mentioned before which means it contributes absolutely NOTHING to the room, it's stuff that would fit in better in PMs, it encourages flood, and it's also horrible to see from the outside looking in...a good reason why the rest of Showdown likes to crap on the room.

It's about time RP became something that all of Showdown could be proud of, and something I could be too.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cradle Cat on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 am

Not much to add, aside from "well said". It'd be so much easier to punish this kind of garbage behaviour if it weren't the vast majority of users doing it.
Cradle Cat
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:48 am

This is an excellent post that summarizes a lot of the issues in the room at the moment.

I do want to add a few things, though it's mainly just to fluff up a bit of what Zester said.

We really don't want to restrict you guys with our moderating. We don't intend to be 'nazi mods' and we don't actually want to mute and warn every single person. All we ask is for people to please be respectful and stay on topic. Unfortunately, as Zester has pointed out, much of the room has devolved into shitposting, arguing, insulting, and being obnoxious. 

If this is NOT solved, then we will be forced to more drastic measures. In the 'old days' (when I was still a mod), I would sometimes put up modchat + to make announcements to the room to stop being argumentative or rude. I've seen this happen a couple of times recently and I would rather that not be what we're forced to do to keep calm in the room. 

I'm sure many of you have chats such as Discord or Skype to shitpost in. You're more than welcome to do it there. I understand that bantering with your friends is fun, and if it's mostly harmless then it's okay. The time between RPs can be used for joking around, but you can also use it to talk about things related to the room - try discussing if anyone's joining the contest, what docs they might be working on, if someone is going to host their RP, etc. 

As it stands now, I've just seen a ton of shitposting such as /me pokes -user-, /me jumps on -user-, and then sometimes someone will just randomly chime in with some kind of insult like 'lol -user- is dumb' and it goes downhill from there. If you want to have a private poke-fest with a friend, PMs do exist. Please remember that the longer it takes for someone to set up because the chat is misbehaving, the less time you have to do what I'm sure you're all here for: roleplaying. 

Lastly, don't treat staff like gods. All of us are human beings and I'm pretty sure most of us actually dislike it when users try to deify us. We don't have any sort of superiority complex and I like to think none of us want to develop one, either. If you have an issue, just talk to us. I know it can be intimidating, but at the end of the day all staff is is a pretty symbol next to our names. I know that all of our users are capable of being mature if they want to. 

With that said, I will be making a guarantee that the room as it is now WILL change. We can no longer tolerate or afford to have a large downtime between RPs for shitposting and annoying staff. If you want to make it easier, take what we've said here to heart and change. We want everyone to be able to enjoy the room to their fullest, and sometimes that takes a compromise - on everyone's part.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leash(Mightyena) on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:35 pm

I strongly agree with the things Zester said, and I've been waiting for something like this for a very long time and it had to be said. Thank you so much for writing this post, and thank you to the others who actually decide to listen.
Leash(Mightyena)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Endurr on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 pm

idk if this has been said, didn't see it in the main post but u guys rlly need to stop pestering mods every second. what i mean is shit like /me hugs mod or highlighting them pointlessly, it's annoying to them.

also something i wanna bring up is greentexting. something i've noticed when it comes to greentexting is that it's mostly used in sort of a insulting manner, an example being someone hosting makes a typo, and suddenly the next 6 messages are ">typo". it really sucks to be the person who made a very simple typo, and to have a lot of users pointing it out.
like u can enter the room and purposefully typo and someone will most likely greentext it.

its not even the right use of it lol
Endurr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Manakete Morgan on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm actually grateful for how tolerant the ROs have been in my complaints about the new Conquest poll. If I tried it with just about anyone else, to the same degree I did, things probably would have happened. Bad things.

Beyond that, I'm extremely grateful for all the things you all have done to improve the room. Everyone has different opinions, and in my opinions some of the choices the auths have made aren't the right ones, but that's just my opinion, and aside from the whole Conquest thing, I've kept these opinions to myself.

Just... Thanks, auths. You've done great things.
-Manatake Toskaya
Manakete Morgan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

Read this, and it's a really good post on everything wrong with this room. I just have some personal things to add to it, and while they're not as important, I still realy think that this is a problem with the room-no, moreso with the rpers.

User bias:I wanted to make this just Poll Bias but when I look back at it, yeah, i's user bias in general. A huge reason why I don't kike rping in main is because of the bias for users in polls. Most of the time, they aren't voting because a very good user is hosting, it's because they're popular. If I was a mod and submitted an rp, not going to lie, I have at least a 60% higher chance of winning based on pure rank. Same for popular people like Wolflix, who basically wincon every poll their in.

And then there's the general user bias. It's almost like everyone has such low standards that the good stuff isn't even noticed. RP Groups are elitist shits trying to form 'cool kid groups' and rewarding the 'bad' rpers. Then there's the constant lack of people getting nothing in FR because they paragraphed-that takes fucking effort. (I actually one did a trash one-liner and instantly got three joins as a test. When I do paragraph-no luck there.)

The worst part is that it basically kinda grates on even good rpers, because since the average popular rper is trash, if you were actually popular, a competent person would list you as trash! Like, say, Yin. Yin is a good host and a wonderful MM host but due to people calling her 'senpai' and worshiping her, I actually see her in a more negative view now (Still like her, though). Not gonna mention the fact that now whenever you ask for reviews/criticism, you get 10000/10 bullshitters or haters-which sucks, because it's not even praise-it's just worship.

Definition of bad rping from me: *Rping badly in my definition would either be people deliberately putting as little effort as possible into rping or joke rping, constantly writing cringy, short posts with little or no rping skill present or constantly godmodding, powerplaying or changing your character indefinitely to your will. I also find people rping in a rushed manner only wishing to get ships without character development counts.
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PotatoBlaster on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:05 am

Mobutt wrote:User bias:I wanted to make this just Poll Bias but when I look back at it, yeah, i's user bias in general. A huge reason why I don't kike rping in main is because of the bias for users in polls. Most of the time, they aren't voting because a very good user is hosting, it's because they're popular. If I was a mod and submitted an rp, not going to lie, I have at least a 60% higher chance of winning based on pure rank. Same for popular people like Wolflix, who basically wincon every poll their in.

In my opinion, I'm really inclined to disagree with you on this one because of how you make it sound like popular hosts are bad hosts. Logically, if you are a good and consistent host, you will be a popular host. Sure, there are people that vote in polls based on name alone without bothering to check any of the docs, but that is because these users know that the hosts will have a good roleplay. I don't really know about the voting for staff rank thing because I don't see that very much (that being staff hosting), but it might just be my timezone.
PotatoBlaster

View user profile http://...

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 am

PotatoBlaster wrote:
Mobutt wrote:User bias:I wanted to make this just Poll Bias but when I look back at it, yeah, i's user bias in general. A huge reason why I don't kike rping in main is because of the bias for users in polls. Most of the time, they aren't voting because a very good user is hosting, it's because they're popular. If I was a mod and submitted an rp, not going to lie, I have at least a 60% higher chance of winning based on pure rank. Same for popular people like Wolflix, who basically wincon every poll their in.

In my opinion, I'm really inclined to disagree with you on this one because of how you make it sound like popular hosts are bad hosts. Logically, if you are a good and consistent host, you will be a popular host. Sure, there are people that vote in polls based on name alone without bothering to check any of the docs, but that is because these users know that the hosts will have a good roleplay. I don't really know about the voting for staff rank thing because I don't see that very much (that being staff hosting), but it might just be my timezone.

Popular hosts aren't bad hosts-it's just that the general popular host isn't popular because of his hosting, he/she is popular because of some cool kids club or shit like that. You've got a point though. (As for the staff thing, probs your timezone, though it doesn't happen too much.) And most of the time, as I said before, they vote on name alone, most of the time, not because they can host very well.
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 am

I'm sure this is in the main post but I would like to explain further:
Don't be such an elitist- We all started at a point where we go in the room and we don't know what the heck is going on and we're all confused why some people talk in parentheses and such, and we have learned to adjust to such a place called the 'Roleplaying Room' of course with the help of others probably. Of course the world is a big place and new people tend to show up with the same scenario. Instead of judging someone new who says in chat 'what is happening?' and scream '((OMG a troll))', give them a gentle nudge to the right direction by telling them what they did wrong then continue further explanation through PMs. You don't have to be voice or staff to do this, as long as you know and apply the rules of the room you are allowed to do such. If you think they're bad at writing or english itself, be nice enough teach them instead of just giving up and discontinuing RPing with them and just keep on saying to your friends 'Person x is so edgy that I don't want to RP with them'. If they don't listen to you and keep on being annoying they're not your problem anymore by that time.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum