Rant about RP groups and of the such.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rant about RP groups and of the such.

Post by Not OU Sash on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Hello, hello, Sash here, blah blah blah, let's get into the topic.

This may be a touchy subject, I'm not sure, but I'm sure you've all heard of RP groups. Let it be SageRP, werp, or even HauntRP, you have heard of a RP group somewhere. And here's a rant about sagerp and a few others.
Sagerp rant time:
Here's what I get about Sagerp all the time:
'Ugh, sagerp is so elitist, why can't I join, I'm a good RPer.' Yes, you may be a good RPer, but keep these two questions in mind:
'Did I sign up on the forums?' If the answer is yes, then you are most likely in SageRP. If the answer is no, then you are most likely not in sagerp.
'Am I a good RPer?' If the answer is yes and you are not in sagerp, either A) we haven't seen your talent or B) you are lying and you just wanna join in to be part of the 'cool kid' group. If the answer is no, you must not be or you must be self-doubting. Either way, you might not be in sagerp.
Before you hop in a sagerp plot, think to yourself, 'am I barging in on this plot because I'm not a member of sagerp?' If the answer is yes... well, you should probably know the drill. If the answer is no, hop in.

Secondary part of RP groups
For the love of god, let RP groups be RP groups. Unless YOU are personally affected by their plots, you have nothing to worry about in their plots. You may be watching their plots and see some godmodding or something that's off, but let the staff deal with that. You do not need to involve yourself in what they do.

Godmodding
Godmodding is something that is warnable/mutable for. It is when you do something that shouldn't happen at all, like evading damage, using moves that would be impossible to use in the games, etc. Before you think you godmod in a para, ask yourself this. 'Is this possible in real life or in the Pokémon world?' If the answer is yes, change the post and then post it. If the answer is no, go ahead and post it.

I think there's more I could talk about, so feel free to leave what you need to talk about. I won't judge (hopefully)
Not OU Sash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rant about RP groups and of the such.

Post by Not OU Sash on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:02 pm

In other words, just use common sense for Christ's sake... it's not hard..
Not OU Sash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by switchkitty on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:26 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong forum, Sash.
switchkitty

View user profile http://listography.com/sega

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuetsu on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Let me just say something. You say to use common sense in RPing. However, SageRP's Zed Thom has a robotic gauntlet that can deflect attacks and absorb energy. Is that common sense then?
Ryuetsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:52 am

The reason why some people consider SageRP as elitists is in-fact the way some people of your RP group judge others. RP skill is a joke, and should be considered a joke. RP skills do not determine your worth in this community. Even one-liners deserve everything a paragrapher gets.
Now onto the real issue here. SageRP is not a big deal, it never was until users made it to be. You don't need to be in it, or any other RP group, to be a roleplayer. But the problem here is;
A lot of users are a part of this (or another) RP group. This makes the users who aren't in said groups to be left out, in terms of RP plots. Nobody wants to RP with a random, everybody wants to be with the """"cool kids"""".
Elitism is a secondary aspect, the primary one is mob mentality. Discriminating against roleplayers who aren't in your group, influencing polls/hosts/RPs or ganging up on a specific user/set of users. I would've been fine if SageRP was a closed group, I'm just irked by the fact that you will deny a certain person who wants to join only to accept a different one the next day. Sure, you may like some users and don't like others, but at least don't make it a big thing.
tl;dr RP groups are fine if you don't go out of your way to start problems.

That's my thoughts on this subject. I agree with switchkitty, this thread probably belongs in the Others section.
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychoreality on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:03 am

I agree with switch and 18th. Topic moved to Roleplaying Discussion.

In terms of RP groups, there is a certain amount of strange behaviour with how the big ones operate at any given time. Sage and affiliates are the easiest ones to satirise and poke fun at but in general there's not a giant problem with how they function now. Apparently they have RP trials (which I do not find believable) but at the very least that's a way to keep quality to the owner's standards.

I'd be open to anyone from Sage commenting here and starting a conversation, so maybe people outside the group can understand the internal processes. Obviously something's working so it might be a good opportunity for people to learn.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Yes.

Post by Death by Tea on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 pm

I totally agree with 18th on this subject. Rp skill is just a term to make people feel good about themselves and how they RP. We've said this multiple times. It doesn't matter how you rp, or if you're in a group, etc, all that matters is the role play itself. I myself have seen Sagerp and have nothing against it, it's an rp group, whatever, but when people make a big deal out of it it is a serious problem. You for one, OU Sash cannot talk about godmodding and such when you yourself are a regular godmodder, along with the people you associate with. The term 'cool kids' is used just to make you guys seem higher up and better. In a sense, you are elitist but you constantly deny the fact.
Death by Tea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 am

While one-liners deserve as much as paragraphers, I will say that your average one-liner is going to get more people rping with him most of the time than your average double or triple paragrapher. As for these 'rp trials' that SageRP and GateRP have, I don't really believe it.

There aren't really 'cool kid groups'-that's moreso a joke among rpers than an actual thing. No offense intended towards Sage/GateRP, but calling yourself the 'cool kids' is not accurate. While people complaining to you about them not being in SageRP would be a bother, if you're always including people who constantly do one-liners and rp somewhat badly*and THEN claim to have roleplaying trials, I'd question it too.

*Rping badly in my definition would either be people deliberately putting as little effort as possible into rping or joke rping, constantly writing cringy, short posts with little or no rping skill present or constantly godmodding, powerplaying or changing your character indefinitely to your will. I also find people rping in a rushed manner only wishing to get ships without character development counts. Shout out to Yoshinshy for having a romance that actually has character development and fucking works!
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by switchkitty on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 am

Now I'll add my two cents.

I've been a part of roleplays that normally require paragraphs. Hell, I've hit the 2000 character limit on Discord a few times whilst roleplaying. However, I'm going to say this before I'm called out for the opposite: you do not have to have paragraphs in order to be a good roleplayer. I've had fun in roleplays that simply are in the following format:
N: *does a thing* Hi!

Do I encourage that in this particular chatroom? No, not really. I actually go way overboard on a lot of my posts, often allowing a peak into the thought processes of my characters. I do have a few rules with my RPs, and it's normally "keep it all in one to three messages, and give me enough material to work with" because that sometimes doesn't happen.

I am going to really lay into this, because quite honestly? This has been a topic that I really am mad about.

RP SKILL IS FAKE. You could be roleplaying for four years, and have someone that has been roleplaying for one year be better than you. You're an idiot if you buy into that. I also believe that you're lying when you say you have RP trials to assure quality, but then have god-modders everywhere.

It's a bit frustrating, mostly because I know you're lying here. You're being a hypocrite, associating yourself with this group whilst at the same time, that same group god-mods beyond compare. I've seen a bloody roleplayer say that their solar beam was faster than the speed of light, and that aggravated me.

You are not the cool kids. Trust me when I say that. Your group is just a popular and well known group, but let me just say that popular isn't always good.

(Mobutt hit it right on the head with the definition of a bad roleplayer, though.)
switchkitty

View user profile http://listography.com/sega

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 am

I think most of y'all are taking the 'cool kids' comment too seriously. I believe what Sash meant is that people like to feel like part of a group and want to join specifically for the inclusion. 

In any case, there isn't anything wrong with wanting to join a group to make friends and feel included. How that group decides who joins, however, can be a bit problematic if its hypocritical. 

I won't say too much on the matter since for the most part I avoid RP groups entirely. I don't think there's anything wrong with them in general, but I do agree that the presence of groups makes elitism more prevalent than before. There have been a lot of arguments stemming from both people who dislike RP groups and those who feel like they are 'better' than others simply because they are in one.

Both of these types of people are wrong in my opinion. 

In such a case, go by 'live and let live'. If they're not causing problems for you, then shut up and let people have fun. And if you want to be part of a group so badly, maybe try making your own. As for people who are in groups and who like to toot their own horn because of it, grow up. It's cool you have a circle of friends but that doesn't give you an excuse to be a dick.

Last edited by Articuno on Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:17 am

Not OU Sash wrote:Hello, hello, Sash here, blah blah blah, let's get into the topic.

This may be a touchy subject, I'm not sure, but I'm sure you've all heard of RP groups. Let it be SageRP, werp, or even HauntRP, you have heard of a RP group somewhere. And here's a rant about sagerp and a few others.
Sagerp rant time:
Here's what I get about Sagerp all the time:
'Ugh, sagerp is so elitist, why can't I join, I'm a good RPer.' Yes, you may be a good RPer, but keep these two questions in mind:
'Did I sign up on the forums?' If the answer is yes, then you are most likely in SageRP. If the answer is no, then you are most likely not in sagerp.
'Am I a good RPer?' If the answer is yes and you are not in sagerp, either A) we haven't seen your talent or B) you are lying and you just wanna join in to be part of the 'cool kid' group. If the answer is no, you must not be or you must be self-doubting. Either way, you might not be in sagerp.
Before you hop in a sagerp plot, think to yourself, 'am I barging in on this plot because I'm not a member of sagerp?' If the answer is yes... well, you should probably know the drill. If the answer is no, hop in.

Secondary part of RP groups
For the love of god, let RP groups be RP groups. Unless YOU are personally affected by their plots, you have nothing to worry about in their plots. You may be watching their plots and see some godmodding or something that's off, but let the staff deal with that. You do not need to involve yourself in what they do.

Godmodding
Godmodding is something that is warnable/mutable for. It is when you do something that shouldn't happen at all, like evading damage, using moves that would be impossible to use in the games, etc. Before you think you godmod in a para, ask yourself this. 'Is this possible in real life or in the Pokémon world?' If the answer is yes, change the post and then post it. If the answer is no, go ahead and post it.

I think there's more I could talk about, so feel free to leave what you need to talk about. I won't judge (hopefully)

Let's give him a bit of positivity.

To start it off, he's right about letting RP Groups be RP Groups. I mean, unless their plot disturbs yours, or something similar to that, you should just quietly not acknowledge their existence-it adds fuel to the (cringey) fire. Although on the case of gdmodding and pplaying, rpers should speak up about it but not in an excessive manner. (Friendly tip: when you see someone godmodding, make sure to record the person's post in case they deny it or change what they were doing).

As for the SageRP complaints I don't really think people are touchy on the subject all that much-most 'good' rpers I know aren't really interested but I do get it. Also, from all the elitist complaints, they aren't completely valid but DO have a point.
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top