Marshadow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Close Combat

Marshadow is the hero Ghost needed. Scarf outspeeds scarf Lele and many other fast scarf threats to Ghost and OHKOs a majority with its powerful dual stab and BoltBeam combo. I would say that right now, Marshadow is the objective best legendary for Ghost just because it can hard beat Crotina by stealing its Calm Mind. There's very few ways to check Scarf especially (this set is easier because it's scarf, but there are some sets which genuinely can't be checked unless you run specific sets) and the fact that you can pair it with Aegislash to eat Flying and Psychic attacks is kind of ridiculous. Use this while you can.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hex
- Recover
- Toxic

My favourite Jellicent set and a Scald eater for Marshadow. It cripples opponents and can either stall out or just Hex for a lot of damage. Very good pairing with Marshadow, Aegi and Chandelure, and has a good synergy with Decidueye as well.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball

This Aegislash set is a bit unorthodox, but it's a very good way to beat out Tapu Fiesta. At +2, Aegi is able to do a lot of damage to Koko and Bulu with SSneak or Gyro Ball (Gyro Ball especially) and Tapu Fini just lets it set up if it isn't Taunt or Surf (plus i mean who runs fini). It just gives Ghost a nice wallop to beat the fairies that threaten Marshadow, and is a Psychic/Flying resist as well. Again, use this while you can with Marshadow, I don't foresee the combo sticking around.

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Chandelure is a good special hitter. Specs is nice for smashing the opponent with some heavy Fire or Grass damage (which the team has very little coverage for otherwise) and it generally allows to beat things like physdef Clefable which otherwise don't have much of a check on the team. Overall just helpful.

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
- Sucker Punch

This is also an odd set. Defog and Roost is obvious, and U-Turn also makes sense, but I've chosen to forgo Spirit Shackle in favour of Sucker Punch. That extra priority can really make or break a game, and having it as an option to force 'mons like Gengar which Decidueye can't do much against normally into a tough spot. On its own, it isn't great, but this Decidueye works as a nice defensive pivot to keep momentum on your side going.

Palossand @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Shore Up
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Palossand is the strangest pick on the team for sure, but hear me out. Shore Up is a FANTASTIC recovery move (better on Ground, but still), which can help fight opposing sand dark (an up-and-coming team archetype which I've been using since early ORAS) and ground teams. Energy Ball helps place opposing Gastrodon and Hippowdon in bad positions, and Earth Power makes it hard for Excadrill and Bisharp to come in on you. Palossand has a niche on the team, even if it is small.

Anyway, onto Marshadow in CQ. It's very good. I'd consider it Fighting AND Ghost's best ace slot. For Ghost, I'd be stupid to say Marshadow + Aegislash won't be banned, because I'm sure it will eventually. It's a powerful offensive core that can really do some damage, and if paired with a defensive core like Jelli + Decidueye, it really can form the backbone that could push Ghost into the top tiers. As for Fighting, Marshadow is as good as Keldeo or Mega Medicham/Lucario if not better because of its coverage, power and access to Spectral Thief, Technician priority and the speed to beat Lele when scarfed. Honestly, Marshadow might even have the power to become so strong it just gets hard banned. It's very, very good, but we'll see how the meta falls around it.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Real Slim (Mar)Shady - Ghost CQ team + discussion

Post by Rean on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:45 am

I want to see how Marshadow fares against my Dark team - Mandibuzz in specific, since a Choice Scarf means you're practically playing with 50/50s against the Pokemon that's currently out and a defensive wall in the back. Assuming boosts to steal don't exist and your only backing is an Adamant Nature without LO, Band or Bulk Up, you will struggle to break some physical walls.

252+ Atk Marshadow Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 145-172 (34.2 - 40.6%) -- 53.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Marshadow Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 124-146 (29.3 - 34.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Marshadow Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 118-141 (35.4 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Marshadow Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 102-120 (30.6 - 36%) -- 41% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Marshadow Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 194-230 (49.2 - 58.3%) -- 64.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(You won't have to care about this as much since... Ice is Ice, but Froslass gets a free switchin!)

(Yes, I realize beating down all these special walls is what Chandelure is for, but open up your options a little. Your Pokemon aren't standalones but neither are your opponent's)

Maybe it's just me but I think a base 125 max Speed speed tier is more than enough to make Marshadow the fearsome Pokemon it is in CQ, with damage boosters such as a Life Orb or even a Bulk Up set with less invested in Atk and slightly more in bulk. If you want to run Scarf Marshadow, by all means. Another thing that can stop Marshadow dead in its tracks is Focus Sash, for which you don't have hazards. Sad For all Palossand is good for, I think having a Stealth Rocker in that position would be a better choice.

Superman (Golurk) @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Another thing: Decidueye.
The idea behind the set (Defog, slow U-Turn, recovery) is solid, however I see no reason to include Sucker Punch in a set that forces out "'mons like Gengar". Sucker Punch, unfortunately, just lacks the power that Spirit Shackle has with a slightly higher base power and Deci's STAB, to get KOs that might otherwise be in its reach. Here is a set of calcs I did with the Decidueye-Gengar matchup.

4 Atk Decidueye Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar-Mega: 128-152 (49 - 58.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO
On the other hand,
4 Atk Decidueye Spirit Shackle vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar-Mega: 218-260 (83.5 - 99.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(OHKOs regular Gengar.)
Meanwhile,
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Decidueye: 230-272 (63.8 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Either move is a solid pick but it's your choice.

Hope my criticism helps here, and really looking forward to see Marshadow's performance in CQ for whatever time it has.
Rean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top