The Curious Case of Occupation (How to use it, and how not to use it)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Curious Case of Occupation (How to use it, and how not to use it)

Post by Psychoreality on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:50 am

Occupation is one of the newer additions to Conquest, and it has been met quite well. It seems fair to allow people some room to do certain things in CQ but not others. Here is how occupation can be used in CQ, to avoid future confusion, as I have seen its improper and technically illegal use being "normalised".

Occupation REQUIRES the lord to be absent from their Kingdom in-RP. People who go "/me knocks on door ((host i occupy)) are breaking the rules of Conquest. This is an extreme, but you must be aware that, within the RP, the lord you are trying to conquer must be absent AND have no knights left behind.

You cannot use knights that were absent from your kingdom in a fight vs an occupying lord. The lord must fight an occupier alone.

Do not use occupation as a timer, use it as a reminder. People tend to use occupation specifically to kill or disrupt RPing, and remember that the intent of the mechanic was to allow people to finish RPs that end in CQs, alliances or knighthoods before returning to their kingdom to face a conqueror, allowing the occupier security that they will get their fight as well as the occupiee the security of finishing their RP (as long as they have the time to do so).

Remember that refusal to accept a CQ challenge will lose your opponent the game faster than an occupation time-out. If your proposed target is AFK or refusing to fight you, but is not outside their kingdom, they are liable to disqualification. Don't bother occupying. It's unnecessary and can get you in trouble faster than the opponent.

Occupation has always been one of those things people cite as killing Conquest roleplaying when, in fact, that is not meant to be the case. It's meant to allow room for roleplaying without stalling under the guise of roleplaying. If the improper use of the rules is stamped out, it is possible that occupation could really help the room as it did when it was first introduced (which was, I believe, the result of people stalling out Neb and other CQ players via RPing). Please keep this in mind when thinking of occupation in the future.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Curious Case of Occupation (How to use it, and how not to use it)

Post by Rico on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:07 am

I just want to repeat and reiterate some stuff.

Occupation is purely to deal with "Lord is not in their kingdom/accepting challenges". Remember, you can't be occupied while you are occupying someone as everybody knows exactly where you are and can challenge you there. Please use this ruling to say "The very next thing my target has to do is battle me".

Think of occupation as a queue. The lord you are trying to occupy is currently busy. Occupy them so they know the next thing they have to do is deal with you. Nobody else can occupy them while you are, so you're guaranteed the first shot at fighting them, and everybody knows where you are so you can still defend your kingdom while you wait.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top