Themed Short Story Contest Winners!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Themed Short Story Contest Winners!

Post by Rico on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Our contest has been judged, but before we announce winners there's some special mentions to make.
First, congratulations to BabyCircus who, despite all the reminders, managed to submit a document the judges could not view.
Secondly, well done to Annie (Bruxish) whose story was so obviously written by them that the judges were unable to mark it. Next time maybe don't make the story about your main character.
Thirdly, there were a few other disqualifications. These were primarily people answering "no" to one of the two questions asked. Given the "yes" "no" options were randomised every time you submitted I didn't feel it was right to name them, but they do remain disqualified. Please take a moment when you submit to a contest to make sure everything you've put in is correct.
And Finally, Annie was not the only one who was unable to be judged. There were a couple others, but not all of our judges knew the characters involved were the people who submitted. Next time, perhaps try going to a name randomiser and just changing the name of your main character to something else. It can still be about your character, we just need to not know that so we can judge without bias.

Now, some honourable mentions.
Our runners up were turningtech, Dasocks, The Penguinari, Penelope Skie, Aarlow and MawiliteVGC. These users all scored 80% or above, so well done guys. Your stories were well written and stuck to your themes. If you'd like to post your stories feel free to add them below.
Our judges choice goes to 18th with their story about Seeking Adventure. While it was one of our lower scorers due to not impressing the judges with its theme, we all thoroughly enjoyed it.

So, with all that out of the way. Our winners for this contest are:
Lawful Evil
Fervis
Illusion of Time
Congratulations to all of you. Feel free to ask any mod to promote you to voice, you've well and truly earned it.

Before I go, here's some quick stats:
The most popular theme was Dialogue Only which saw 10 submissions (out of 38). Love (8) Emotion (6) and Terror (6) all had a decent showing as well.
The least popular themes were Morality and Hidden Potential, which both received 0 submissions.
A total of 6 documents were disqualified, with 2 more being refused judgement by one of our judges to avoid any bias.
This contest we took the case of bias very seriously. Our judges are only now finding out who wrote the documents they loved. They weren't even able to see how each other were scoring, needing to rely purely on their own judgement when it came to marking the documents.

If any of our judges would like to open themselves to people asking about their scores or for feedback, feel free to post below. Other than that, my role here is done. Well done to all entrants and congratulations again to Fervis and Lawful Evil.

Last edited by Rico on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Themed Short Story Contest Winners!

Post by Cassie AKA Spear (Absol) on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 pm

I would like to give a congratulations to Fervis, Illusion of Time and Lawful Evil for winning! I also would like to give a congratulations to the runner-ups as well! Personally, getting room voice should never have been ultimate goal, and the main goal in the end is to have fun and to show off your writing ability, if only to a small team of judges. I personally enjoyed writing my story, and I'm sure the rest of the 38 (Less of some of the people wrote multiple stories, unless this is counting just single users) did as well.

Again, a congratulations to the winners, all three deserved their wins. I would love to read any of the other stories posted.

Finally, thanks to Rico, Arti, and the rest of the staff team and judges for making these contests possible!
Cassie AKA Spear (Absol)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawful Evil on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:17 pm

im corrupt now right?

i was afk when the voicing happened so i didnt answer everyone but thank u all for congratulating me : D means a lot! this is actually the first contest i have entered so im pretty surprised i won!

Lawful Evil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Saint Tempor on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:51 pm

oh well!! congrats to them all. winning voice wasn't my ultimate goal (again)

i hated my submission anyway, and i laughed really hard when i saw that i was disqualified. i kind of expected it. oh well, congrats once more!!
Saint Tempor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:10 am

congrats to the winners.

edit: im glad the judges enjoyed my story. i knew i wouldnt win bc no theme fit it perfectly. at least might've given you guys a chuckle or two. Smile

Last edited by Fraction on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by runtheskeletons on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 am

I wrote "The Forest Dweller and the Altaria". If any judges would like to give feedback on my story, feel free to pm me. Also, if anyone would like to share their story, I'd love to read them. If you want to read mine I can pm it to you. Thanks for the contest and the hard work from the judges!
runtheskeletons

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fervis on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:49 am

/me rubs eyes. I can't believe it!

Thanks for congratulating me guys! I hope you guys enjoyed reading my story just as how much I enjoyed writing it:) Like Lawful Evil, this is the first time I entered a PSRP contest (not counting community writing).

To the judges: thanks for taking the time off to help to judge this competition. You are the ones who helped to run this contest, and I'm very grateful for that.

As always, I'm open to any constructive criticism. If any of you know how to help me improve my writing even further, feel free to PM me. Any constructive criticism is very much appreciated.

Thanks again everybody!
Fervis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hindrest on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for your congratulations!

....I don't know what else to say.

Hindrest

View user profile

Back to top Go down