Religion, Guns, Drugs, and Alcohol - A Clarification

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Religion, Guns, Drugs, and Alcohol - A Clarification

Post by Articuno on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:06 am

At some point you've probably heard some kind of rule against controversial topics. The rule listed here on the forums is as such: "References to drugs, alcohol, or excessive gore are banned in-RP, even for roleplay hosts." 

However, as always, we do not wish to 100% restrict content if you are capable of using it maturely. Therefore, below you will find an explanation of these controversial topics and how you should (and shouldn't) incorporate them if you want to. 

Religion:
Religion itself is not banned; it's fine to have an RP where you have a cult worshipping Giratina, for example. However, making references to religion that exists in real life (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.) is not allowed. This is because we wish to avoid any arguments or insults that may stem from mentioning a religion.

Referencing ancient (or older) religions such as the Greek/Roman gods, Egyptian gods, etc. is okay. Please keep in mind that if you make a roleplay involving or based off religion, you should not include ANY disparaging content about that religion (do not insult it). 

Guns:
For the most part, guns should ONLY be used realistically. If your character has a gun it should be in an appropriate role, such as a police officer, hunter, mafia (or Team) member, etc. Even then, you should NOT abuse the use of the gun. For example: "Alex had a shotgun and saw an Unfeazant so he shot it in the face. (Sarah (Unfeazant)". Godmodding or describing gore WILL get you warned or muted. If YOU don't know where the limit is or what's okay, ask first or do not use a gun at all.

Guns as weapons in an RP such as DnD or a custom is acceptable. 

Drugs: 
All direct references to narcotics, recreational drugs, or 'getting high' are disallowed. The only time any mention of drugs is allowed is a vague reference ("The Grass Kingdom sells various forms of medicinal herbs") OR if your character smokes a cigarette or cigar. However, even then, it should not be an advertisement for drugs ("Mark smoked six packs of cigs a day - they were just that good"). It can be used casually ("Pat looked at the woman and took another drag off her cigar. "Nah," she answered, rudely blowing smoke into her face.") but keep in mind that cigarettes DO have an age limit. A character MUST be over 18 to even be in possession of a cigarette.  

Again, if you don't know if what you're writing is okay, ask a staff member or refrain from including it in your RP. 

Alcohol: 
Similarly to drugs, alcohol is generally disallowed. Using alcohol in an immature way ("Ryan downed eight mugs of beer to get roaring drunk, threw up, and then passed out in his own vomit") will get you muted. If you want to mention alcohol it should be in a fitting situation (at a bar, in an inn, etc.). Having a personal flask is acceptable - but alcohol also carries an age limit of 21. The best way to RP with alchohol is to NOT go into too much detail about the act of drinking it, or use it as an excuse to amplify its side effects.

Examples of what's okay: 

Mary took a sip of wine and then smiled at the man sitting across from her. "This is so romantic, Gary," she sighed.

Paul downed his mug of beer and pushed himself away from the counter. "I'm going home," he growled. 

Examples of what's NOT okay:

Mary grabbed the wine bottle and chugged the whole thing in three seconds. She laughed really really loud and said "THIS IS THE BEST DATE EVER!!!!"

Paul downed his fifth mug of beer and then stood up and kicked his stool away. He was just so depressed and the beer helped him kind of. "I'm going home," he said, now unable to think about how sad he was. That's what the beer did.

Conclusion:
Controversy can be hard to avoid, so I can't stress this enough: If you don't know if what you're writing is okay, DON'T post it! Asking for a second opinion is a lot better than getting warned or muted! That being said, we know there are some of you who can write maturely and write well, where adding these themes will grant you depth to your story instead of making it shitposty. 

In any case, it is still better to avoid these topics if you can. If you're thinking about making someone smoke just for the heck of it, it's probably better not to at all. If any of you have any further questions, please post below.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Religion, Guns, Drugs, and Alcohol - A Clarification

Post by Mobutt on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:45 am

I feel like this is a direct jab to my Christianity-based killer that was created like a few days ago rip
anyways this does make sense
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawful Evil on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Mobutt wrote:I feel like this is a direct jab to my Christianity-based killer that was created like a few days ago rip

wouldnt be surprised if it was, we have never really had too much problems with this stuff until recently, well im glad to see some definite guidelines on this because until now these subjects have always been just up in the air.
Lawful Evil
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Mobutt wrote:I feel like this is a direct jab to my Christianity-based killer that was created like a few days ago rip

This wasn't meant as a personal attack against anyone; I've just been getting a lot of questions about it from both staff and regular users so I figured I would make the clarification.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:16 pm

I have a question about the religion part; while it isn't necessarily a "religion", Midna is known to be able to do tarot card readings and kind of 'occultist' stuff, would that still be allowed? I almost never mention it it anymore since I keep it to FR, but I thought I should ask.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Dragonite99 wrote:I have a question about the religion part; while it isn't necessarily a "religion", Midna is known to be able to do tarot card readings and kind of 'occultist' stuff, would that still be allowed? I almost never mention it it anymore since I keep it to FR, but I thought I should ask.
You said it yourself: occultist stuff isn't necessarily a religion. If it's not offensive you don't have to worry about it.

The only issue I can think of is if someone (this is hypothetical) had some sort of satanical character, but even that would depend on what exactly was happening with them.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Articuno wrote:
Dragonite99 wrote:I have a question about the religion part; while it isn't necessarily a "religion", Midna is known to be able to do tarot card readings and kind of 'occultist' stuff, would that still be allowed? I almost never mention it it anymore since I keep it to FR, but I thought I should ask.
You said it yourself: occultist stuff isn't necessarily a religion. If it's not offensive you don't have to worry about it.

The only issue I can think of is if someone (this is hypothetical) had some sort of satanical character, but even that would depend on what exactly was happening with them.

Ok, thanks! I just wanted to be sure.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top