Rico's not so secret to-do list

Go down

Which of these upcoming features are you most interested in?

45% 45% 
[ 13 ]
14% 14% 
[ 4 ]
14% 14% 
[ 4 ]
10% 10% 
[ 3 ]
7% 7% 
[ 2 ]
10% 10% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 29

Rico's not so secret to-do list

Post by Rico on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:17 am

With the release of Groups and Helpers/Tutors we're about to hit another lull before I begin work on the next thing on my to-do list. Because I'm nice I am now going to show what is on that list and give a bit of information about each.

Sift through feedback results and investigate RP run frequency in the main room.
This is just something I have to do. I need to identify RP popularity and make sure we're addressing any major concerns we haven't already.

Verified Hosts
Moving forward we are going to be introducing a new system where someone can become a host we recognise as being responsible and generally good at what they're doing. Verified Hosts will not need to get their customs approved (although if any start using unreadable docs I'll eat them), and will (more importantly) be able to bypass a lot of our rule restrictions, even in official RPs, when they're hosting. These restrictions include canon characters, legendaries and may even include things like Hybrid Pokemon and other fun stuff.
We are toying with the idea of restricting Conquest Variants to Verified Conquest Hosts, as conquest variants are frequently poorly balanced. A verified conquest host would be trusted to make their conquest variants fair(ish).

Revamp the World Map (reduce, reuse, recycle)
This will be after a bit of RP that I will be doing. I've come to realise some of the issues with the world map and why it's so hard to add things that won from the contest. I still have all those submissions (even if you deleted them) and they will be added, but what I'm instead going to be doing is condensing the map down to just Cendria and possibly one other major continent. Going forward, whenever we have a contest to expand the world map it will be the discovery of an entire continent, making it MUCH easier for me to add things.
There are a lot of things tied to the world map that will need updating as well, including the recently announced rp groups. Once the world map is fixed I will be looking at some sort of stronghold thing so the groups can have a physical presence people can go to.

Develop a standardised RP system
This is the last item in my list because it's the hardest to do. Once I'm done with everything else, I will be working on a standardised RP based battle system for the room. This will take some playtesting but will ideally be the base system for DnD and PMD. The goal of the system is to dramatically simplify the class based nature of these RPs and to provide some balance between players and monsters. My goal in the RP room has always been to provide people with everything they need to just get in to it. I don't want mathematics or doc writing to be a barrier of entry... I want the barrier to be your own ability to run an RP with a group of people. Currently my plan for this is to use a dumbed down system similar to Dungeons and Dragons 4e, utilising At Will, Encounter and Daily powers, as well as the concept of Big enemies, regular enemies and "Enemies that take 1 hit to kill".
On top of that I plan to have a second system for when one of these RPs ends up being run with some 20 people. The goal with that one is to provide a 'raid' style system that is quick for the host to use, allowing them to actually have 20 people battle at the same time without slowing down enormously. I'm not 100% sure on how to do this yet, it will likely be worked out when I get to it.

That's all I have going on. Obviously my own real life does get in the way a lot, so there's no timer to these. Feel free to comment below, answering questions doesn't really take any time from me.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rico's not so secret to-do list

Post by Special Operations! on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:40 am

Although I am in favor of verified helpers and tutors, I cannot say the same for verified hosts. I think the concept is cool but verified hosts will have a complete monopoly in polls and hosting. If there's a poll with a newer host and then a verified host, chances are the verified host will win every single time. In my opinion, this will cause newer hosts to not be able to move up and grow as a host.
Special Operations!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:43 pm

I do hear you on this, which is why I did not want to move forward with verified hosts until AFTER helpers/tutors was fully under way. The hope is for this to be a two-fold thing. Anybody who is a verified hosting tutor is highly likely to end up as a verified host as well. These are the people most likely to be helping people newer to hosting by having them co-host their RPs. How much or how little it needs to do will depend a lot on how much the verified tutors take off. As this isn't even under discussion yet, anything is possible. Hell, verified tutors may end up being the only verified hosts who knows.

Edit: Also just for a bit of clarity, this idea first came up as a way to expand legend permissions from RPers to hosts. The original legend permissions was aimed at freeroam, the core goal here is to get legends out in plot relevant ways as well, and to people we trust to do a good job with it without us needing to look. This is mostly what verified hosts is about. "We can trust you to ignore these rules because we know you'll make a good story out of it for people to enjoy"
Edit2: I do agree though that this all could lead to some elitism. The HOPE is that with verified tutors helping bring more people up in hosting there will then be more verified hosts and then more verified hosting tutors, leading to more people being able to get a tutor to learn how to host well enough to get verified as a host. Ambitious for sure, but you never get nowhere by expecting the worst.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Verified hosts sounds kinda nice. It would mean that people that the moderators can trust have less restrictions when concerning hosting, and it shows a level of trust. Trust me, I know a bunch of people who would benefit from this ( I once rped from a guy who did N better than the games did N).

As for the standardized rp system, I'll give this a so-so. While I like the idea of anyone being able to hosts rps, I feel like hosts trying to host dnd should be at least know dnd to the point where they can create a functioning battle system by themselves. Quality, people! Also, they could just make simple battle systems themselves-it's not that hard. The raid battle style sounds...okay, I guess, but rarely do that many people ever join a DND at a time.

Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm going to have to respectfully and strongly disagree with that sentiment. That's sort of like saying "Well if you want pokemon battles with custom pokemon why don't you just do the calculations yourself?" Yes, all the numbers are there and anybody could get the formulas and do it themselves, but for a lot of people they see more than x+y and their eyes start to glaze over. Some do it before even that. I don't want somebody's ability with mathematics (as most battle systems are just probability) to impact on their skills at writing (as most hosting is just about what kind of story you're writing)
There should be no barrier of entry for a person to begin hosting an RP. They don't need to be a good doc writer or able to make DnD rules. They just need to have a good story.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mobutt on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Rico wrote:I'm going to have to respectfully and strongly disagree with that sentiment. That's sort of like saying "Well if you want pokemon battles with custom pokemon why don't you just do the calculations yourself?" Yes, all the numbers are there and anybody could get the formulas and do it themselves, but for a lot of people they see more than x+y and their eyes start to glaze over. Some do it before even that. I don't want somebody's ability with mathematics (as most battle systems are just probability) to impact on their skills at writing (as most hosting is just about what kind of story you're writing)
There should be no barrier of entry for a person to begin hosting an RP. They don't need to be a good doc writer or able to make DnD rules. They just need to have a good story.

I wasn't really saying they have to be good at mathematics-I just want them to have the slightest bit of an idea of what they're doing. DnD's don't even have to necessarily have battle systems. But anyways, good point. The sentiment of 'they have to be good at math' isn't a good one-although a lot of average dnd battles are just random rolls.
Mobutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 am

The sentiment of 'they have to be good at math' isn't a good one-although a lot of average dnd battles are just random rolls.
I had a rather long post dismantling this but I've decided we don't need to go for multiple paragraphs explaining probability. The idea of this is to bring the 'average dnd battles' up from awful to fun. A purely random system is not generally a fun one, people like to have some input in how things go and that's why there are no popular purely random rp systems. If you are doing anything but pure random (so essentially exaggerated coin flips) then you need to use some maths to work out how it's going to balance. Ideally you should understand the difference between a 1d20 and a 3d6 or a 1d12 and a 2d6. You should also know that average hit chance needs to amplify average damage to get to your 'average rounds for a battle'. On top of that you should probably be keeping an eye on the average HP of a player and the probability of them being killed in one hit. Then if you want to add classes you have to consider things like "how does a 4d6 attack balance against a 1d6 heal allies?". If you go more complicated you start asking questions like "The average encounter has 6 enemies and 2 party members will have aoe. How does their aoe damage balance against the larger single target damage?" or "How good is a 2d10 heal vs. forcing the host to reroll an attack or damage?" or perhaps "The tank character has 50% more hp than the non-tank and wants to heal them. How much can they heal compared to the healer character, should they take damage for healing and if so how much?"

But that's all getting away from the main body, which is that even a simple random system takes some understanding of mathematics to balance. If you don't balance it, then your system is imbalanced, which makes it not fun.
I don't expect everybody to jump for joy and use a standardised system immediately, similar to how I don't expect everybody to go grab a tutor or use the world map or stick to the default docs. I'm about giving people options so that the great hosts who are held back by lacklustre docmaking or limited game knowledge can come out and make a great RP.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawful Evil on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:19 pm

i think everything on this list is reasonable but the only thing i have fears about is the verified host system and to a lesser extent the tutor/helper thingy.

my main concern is that the "verified host" status will not only create a monopoly over hostpolls turning it even more into a popularity contest but it may also generate elitism due to users thinking they somehow have an elevated rank. of course this isnt going to happen to every user who is a verified host or tutor or whatever but im just afraid itll bring the whole elitism controversy back into the spotlight

in addition, i am in favor of the rp map revamp. maybe we could do something about encouraging users to use different locations because honestly the only location i ever see people using is sage forest(if they're even using the world map at all which is relatively uncommon) which basically reduces the whole thing back to "freeroam forest".
Lawful Evil
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:48 am

An extra thing to be added somewhere to my to do list (probably after world map): RP Evolving Story

An idea has come up from the official evil team thing, which is to provide you guys with an actual source of conflict (evil team vs. league) and for there to be things you can do to advance that conflict. Most likely what this will entail is that leading up to any world map expansion there will be conflicts between the league and the evil team in the form of official hosted RPs (such as a scheduled conquest, murder mystery or even one of our writing contests). A score will be kept over a period of time to determine a 'winner'. This winner will then be able to decide on the direction our world map expands, as well as gaining a sizable chunk of land after it is expanded.

Sizable chunk of land? This may or may not happen, but the idea is that each large area of the map will be broken in to smaller regions, which will in turn be controlled by one of the official teams. Initially this will only be the main two, but if a player team grows in size and strength, it may be able to challenge for a location.

A lot of this is very ambitious and may never happen, but it is on the agenda.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: