Help and Support

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Help and Support

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello. I went to the legend submission form about three weeks ago and seven weeks ago applying for my Hoopa-U position, but I don't know whether I've been accepted or rejected. It might be that it simply didn't get through or that, like you say, it would take months to process.

Either way, would it be a good idea to re-apply in a week, when a month had passed from last time?

Yours sincerely

Gym Leader ABCDE
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help and Support

Post by Rico on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:20 pm

All legendary documents (except for those requesting Marshadow) have been approved or rejected up to the date of the 25th/26th of October. If your document was submitted before this time then we are not currently considering you for a legend. If you do want us to consider you for a legend you will need to submit again.

As a general notice to all users, if you don't get a legend please look over your doc and see if you can work out why. Perhaps compare it to other legendary documents and see what they've done that you didn't. DO NOT just resubmit the exact same document (which has happened countless times) because we will just deny it again. You can still submit for the same legend with the same character, but make updates to the document to help convince us you should have it.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:39 pm

So, somebody has told me (in PMs) that most of my docs are sloppy, uncreative, and worst of all, absolutely horrifying. That same person called me the worst host ever. Is this really true?

The following are all variants, and I always considered these four to be successful:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ta47m1fgGc4KbKRgUWIQCKQCH88sXoMJQjBLVOaC8fU/edit#heading=h.nj23sjpj5u97 Fire Emblem - Garon's Wrath (GvE)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DIF8FYfjpBySJNf_vraAnNPkloRLXfLbXFYzjmzhcOA/edit W.I.M.P.O.D (PH)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a1sCTEwsTFejD7xNi5Rp5RfZnsn32iWSvmEeho3UI1M/edit#heading=h.6jynaot9cbnq Smash City (DnD)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bBriZz1n8Ty6f2mqcWnFhBEnoq7GezL8YRljj9cR2wM/edit Dinner Party Disaster (MM)

I am open to constructive criticism from ALL more experienced hosts, but please be polite about it, ty. Smile
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:04 pm

This is not something I will generally do. Your primary issue is that your documents include too much information and your RPs end up too complicated as a result. Let's look at each RP individually.
The GvE doc. Firstly, the rules could be broken down from 14 to 6. Next you would do better to label it as a Conquest variant, not a GvE variant (it's literally conquest except there's two forced alliances). As a variant you should also link to the primary rules document, your rules should be explaining what you do differently from the normal RP. Other than that, this RP is mostly fine. You've made two main changes from regular conquest: Forced Alliance and 3v3 battles. If people don't like it, remove one changed mechanic and see if that is more enjoyable.

The Pokehigh document is again way too much information for what you need. Let's assume a class runs for 20 minutes and you give 10 minutes for people to go from one class to the next (so 30 minutes per class total). This means at a maximum you have 8 classes to an RP (4 hours), with 4 the likely limit (2 hours). You have 19 NPCs across 19 subjects over a 7 day school week. With those 30 minutes to a class, that would take 9 and a half hours to complete. Cutting it to 15 minutes you're still looking at close to 5 hours. If you look at the example pokehigh document you will see that we also use a 5 day school week, but that there's only 7 subjects, with each day merely changing the order those subjects come in. Next we have the teachers themselves. Your NPC teachers appear to be more like PC teachers, which means there's entirely too much importance put upon them, especially the 4 year old headmaster. If you check out a list of actual child prodigies you'll find this is something you wouldn't see much of until 3 times her age and that's in the VERY BRIGHTEST, the absolute geniuses. Someone that young heading a school just doesn't make sense. I would recommend scrapping the idea entirely and let your players be the prodigies, not your teacher. The information about drinking potions to become pokemon is also unneeded and given this is a pokemon only school, it's odd that they are being taught spanish or chemistry when they could be learning about setting fire to small children. Finally, you once again have way too many rules. The first 3 rules are unnecessary. Rules 4-7 are in character rules which is okay. Rule 8 is important and should probably be rule 1. Rules 9 and 10 could probably be gone, but are otherwise in character rules only.

Your DnD document's rules are fine, this isn't too overwhelming to read. Not telling us how damage is determined leaves doubt with the player, it's important that we understand how good we are and people like seeing numbers mean something. If damage is purely chosen by host then HP doesn't matter. Your balance as well seems to be targeted at long drawn-out fights with the requirements of "Beat in x turns" being quite high. Keep in mind that with text based RP it can take several minutes to get actions from everyone. A battle that lasts for 10 turns could easily be a full hour of combat, and that isn't so much fun. You have 4-5 pages of custom abilities for your bosses which is difficult for a person to read at a glance. If you want them to have those abilities, instead include them when you first introduce them. Example:
Boss 1 = Waluigi (Fighting/Water) (270 HP) ⇒ Ability: Zero Crash Damage (Waluigi will suffer no crash damage after using HJK and missing.)
[High Jump Kick, Blaze Kick, Aqua Jet, Waterfall] - Defeat within 20 turns
This condenses a LOT of excess information.
The other main problem is your RP APPEARS to be a tournament RP, which is an RP where the only thing anyone can do is battle. Please avoid these as they are technically against the rules. There's also probably way too many bosses. The average group will not get to see the RP end, or even reach half way.

Your Murder Mystery document once again falls in to the trap of too many rules. This one commits the worst sin which is reserving parts of the RP to people with a rank on PS. Don't ever do this, it's extremely elitist and I don't think there's a single member of staff who would want it. This is a general thing as well, I've heard people want us to do something like that in trainers and other RPs. We're just regular users, treat us as such. For the most part this is a standard Murder Mystery with a lot of extra info, so you'd be better off Linking to the official rules document and then stating at the top of your document what has changed (namely that murderers name 2 targets).

Try to avoid introducing more mechanics just so you can have a variant or extra mechanics. It's okay to run a normal RP, and it's fine to be generic. If you're doing something new, do a private playtest of it, roll dice if there's dice to be rolled and see what kind of outcomes you can expect. Above all, know where you're going so you're not caught unawares.
The big takeaways from what I said above:
Don't add official rules to your list of rules. Unsure what's a rule? Check the rules. Also only add rule changes to your doc. Link to the RP's rules if it has them and specify what you do differently.
Don't add too much to the RP, you have at most 4 hours and most likely 2 hours. Aim for that.
Don't idolise staff in your doc. We really hate it.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:34 am

Rico, a quick thing about my PH.

It's not 19 classes to a day. It's 5 classes to a day, and we do a maximum of 2 days in the same RP. Does this clean up any misconceptions?
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:07 am

That doesn't really clear up anything I said about the Pokehigh. The problem wasn't that you have x number of classes a day. It's that you have x number of options to an RP. More options does not make for a better RP. When I want to get in to an RP I don't want to look through a page and a half of NPCs (That's the teachers). Nor do I really want to see a 14 day timetable to find out what classes I get to play.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Rico wrote:The information about drinking potions to become pokemon is also unneeded and given this is a pokemon only school, it's odd that they are being taught spanish or chemistry when they could be learning about setting fire to small children.

You know how you once told me that no RPs should involve the loss of a life? Well, setting fire to small children burns them alive and kills them!

Sorry, but no can do with learning to set fire to children.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:58 pm

He was being sarcastic, but his point still stands.

Why would Pokemon learn foreign languages or science rather than how to properly utilize their abilities?

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Articuno wrote:He was being sarcastic, but his point still stands.

Why would Pokemon learn foreign languages or science rather than how to properly utilize their abilities?

Good point.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi. I'm having trouble getting people to choose PH when I'm active and ready to host (which is usually the earlier half of the evenings in my timezone!). How do I (subtly) get people to choose PH in the poll without voteswaying or otherwise cheating. I have a good doc, as you may be able to see in my "01 High" thread under "Roleplaying Discussion," and I am a great host. I may not be perfect, but I don't see where I'm going wrong. Does anybody (literally anybody pls!) know where I am going wrong and I'll try to fix it.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:38 pm

You don't. Any attempt to convince people to vote for an option is voteswaying.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 pm

Double post so I can address the other part of your post: What is wrong.
As stated before you have too many rules you don't need to have. You should cut your rules down to (with this order)
NO humans or gijinkas. Pokémon only
NO talking back to the 01 High staff
NO food except at lunchtime
NO phones at all
ALL students are equal

You have too many classes, try cutting it down to 5 and see if it runs well. Don't go above 10.
The fortnight timetable has next to no impact on the RP. Cut it down to a 5 day single week or you have way too much going on.
Why do you have a curriculum with scheduled tests all through next year? Looking at it, does this mean that instead of ~10 subjects there's 60?

Please, focus on the first hour of your RP. Make your document only tell people about what will happen in that hour. If you consistently go beyond an hour, add information up to 2, 3 or even 4 hours. Nothing more.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:59 am

Rico, I must tell you. There ARE 5 classes. Pokécooking, Typings and Multitypings, Items, Abilities and Probability, Study Room and Poképroblems, Mechanics and Data.

The scheduled tests are on the four subjects I have listed. ((Study Room is not a subject.)). There are not 60 subjects, but rather still four, with Study Room as a seperate class for private study.

Just so you know.

Also, the sections of each subject are just modules. Plus it's normally two hours to a PH day.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:31 am

So there are 4 classes, each with 12 subjects (that change based on what month it is). That's 48 subjects in total. Why do we need to know all of this information?
Why do you have scheduled tests? What do you do if someone fails the test? You say they won't get to go next year, is that an in-rp blacklist (which is against the rules)?
Yes, most RPs aim to run for roughly two hours, but your RP isn't showing me that, it's showing me the next 7 months. This is fine for a long term scheduled RP or a forum RP, but it's simply not practical for a standard RP run in the room. What happens if you're approaching your testing period and somebody wants to join the RP but they haven't been to the classes before? What if you decide you're going to run the RP outside your usual time and the people who have been attending aren't there to learn what they presumably need for your test. Seven months is a long time for an RP in a livechat. Aim slightly above what you're getting (an average of 40 minutes) and build from there. You're biting off more than you can chew.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:22 am

I appreciate what you're trying to say, but not being allowed in the 2nd year isn't an in-rp blacklist. This is merely a resit of 01 High, for which next year's RP (spoiler: it's 02 High), would most likely be set in a groupchat which hopefully I can do myself by then (and even if not, I have friends who are room drivers/moderators in public rooms!)

Also, 7 months from November to May is quite standard for a school (or in this case, a PH), since the usual period from September to June is pretty much overkill for most people. Also, a test or exam is both usual and standard in May/June time (in this case, it's all in May, since there are only four subjects.). Surely you've taken a test or exam nearly every year when you were in school or college? That was a rhetorical question because I don't know what it was like when you were at school or college.

If I'm right, what you're trying to say is that I should be considering the fact that each time I run through this is about 1h40, not the fact that it's supposed to run nearly every day for 7 months. I'm not trying to make your life a misery, Rico. I'm trying to explain what my motives are for this doc and to help you to help me.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum