Help and Support

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Help and Support

Post by Articuno on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 pm

If you intend for your RP to have continuity, you're best off scheduling it in Rusty, especially if you're planning to run it for 7 months. 

It is simply not practical to plan a PokeHigh out like a normal school would run, especially if you're not able to complete the schedule for the day because your RP ends early. Your system of four major classes with 12 subjects each is extremely confusing and hard to follow; I find it difficult to navigate the table you've provided as the schedule.

As for your tests, no one is questioning that actual schools do testing. However, this is bearing in mind that the students who attend the school have also attended the majority of those classes and are given the chance to learn and study the material. If someone who's never been in the room before comes in January and wishes to participate in your RP, how is that fair to them, if they've never had the chance to actually know what the testing material is or participate in any previous RPs to learn it? 

At the moment your RP is extremely unfriendly towards new participants because those who have participated since the beginning have an enormous edge on those just joining. I think I vaguely recall you saying something along the lines of "Let's review what we learned last week" while you were hosting, which is the perfect example of "well what if I wasn't here last week?". 

If you are unable to have your RP run for the full two hours, what happens then? Is your next run a continuation of that short-cut day? Do you just assume everyone's learned the material for that day and move on to the next one? The most important thing for now, as Rico said, is to aim to have your PokeHigh pass at least the forty minute mark first.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 pm

I will try running 5 days a fortnight with 40 minutes per day.

Then I will consider scheduling it in Rusty next year for 7 months.

I thought PH was just like real school.

And I never thought of it like that. I thought it would be great if I ran it like an ideal but standard school, 7 months with exams in May. I guess I never thought about new RPers at the end of January etc.

Now you put it into perspective, I guess I can appreciate Rico's (and your) feedback a bit more.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lawful Evil on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:53 pm

i think the main problem u got with ur pokehigh is simply overanalyzing everything considering this is a rp that will run in main. im a realist, but im also an optimist, and most rps in main dont make it past an hour without an endpoll. i agree with arti and ricos statements, if youre planning to run this over 7 months with a specific schedule and such, definitely host it in rusty with a small group of people. it also seems too complicated at the moment especially for your target audience. im not saying its a bad thing to have all ur subjects planned out but its probably going to get too chaotic to manage. here are some tips for running rps in main:

-assume it's the first time for everyone in the rp
-assume the rp is only going to run for an hour tops
-sometimes less is more
-pokehigh and cruise will always be treated as an embellished freeroam no matter what rulesets there are

most people in main wont care for the life of them if you have exams or mock exams or whatnot, and assuming someone from ur last run joins in again they probably wont even remember what happened last run. i admire your persistence in running your pokehigh in main but its sort of like watching a dog thats too big trying to fit through a doggy door.
Lawful Evil
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:57 am

As mentioned, your RP is totally going to have a hard time running here at main considering that you're going to run it for that long. Simple thing, you really can't at all. As much as you'd like to keep it realistic, but making it run for 7 months? Even with breaks and such, it would really... look boring, overbearing and confusing. Most of the time, you'd have to fast forward or have a school event if for example you got through all classes without the RP getting ended, just for the sake of keeping the people excited.
Yes, PokeHigh is much like real school but do you expect people on the internet to have everyday repeated in a setting where they sit for 8 hours?
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Would it be appropriate to use the following quote in the quotes section of the forums? You see, I'd like to because I think this is a great message on why some things are generally disallowed. If that quote is appropriate, I'd like Rico's permission for it to be put up (it is his quote after all.) Smile

Rico wrote: No, we censored it because of the reasons I stated. It's not appropriate for the RP room, it's not legal in enough countries to not be a source of drama and it adds nowhere near enough value to your character to be worth dealing with the previous two points.

If it's not appropriate for the quotes forum, please feel free to delete this message or just say no. There's no skin off of my nose.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:41 pm

The quote topic is generally for funny quotes that happen in the RP room. That's just an unfunny quote from the forums, so it's not really what we're looking for in that topic.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:00 pm

OK.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:49 pm

This RP (Captain Mack and the Toxic Torkoal) has already been approved, but nobody seems to like it as even after CP and plenty of time, I got no joins. Something must be wrong, or I wouldn't be asking in here. The question is: Should I have gotten this doc approved in the first place?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aZ6f6itSlOBGo5Jt3bQlQ3KIsZHt4uIaTDdDfvAVFfY/edit
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 pm

There's nothing wrong with wanting a custom approved. Sometimes the idea just doesn't take with the rest of the room's users. In this case I imagine it has something to do with the outside fandom being fairly obscure.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:14 am

I see. I guess this time it IS beyond my control. Ty.
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:27 am

I've got some questions to continue to ask.

When I asked what the focus of Prom was, Rico told me that it cropped up because the RO's banned the Romance RP, and hence they used the focus of sitting under trees and kissing to put it into a PH high school Prom Setting.

My next question: Why was Romance banned?
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:54 am

Romance was before Wild Life and City Life was merged in to Freeroam. It was banned because it was not appropriate for the focus of an RP and too many people were trying to push the line on what was okay in the room. Even if it wasn't, it probably would have been absorbed by Freeroam or Prom as it wasn't so much an RP of its own but a sub-topic. That requires a quick explanation as well.
Back when it was Wild Life/City Life, people would often declare it as "Wild Life + G(ijinka)/R(omance)" or things such as that. Obviously now we've merged all these 'topics' in to freeroam itself, so you can be pokemon, trainer or gijinka we don't need to tell you the RP is only for one type, and while romantic RP is allowed without an RP focused on it people are a bit less inappropriate about it.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gym Leader ABCDE on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:50 am

I noticed that the MOTD's were gone when the RP room became the OOC room. There is only one MOTD in Amphy. The !rfaq what.

What happened?
Gym Leader ABCDE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:12 am

When we made the OOC room we attempted to do some fixes on the bot. It was easier to lose all our motds and work on the bot than to try and keep it running. Since the OOC room is a very VERY important update I chose to have it as the only motd for probably a week to make sure everybody sees it. MOTDs will be updated and added again some time in the next few weeks.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2