[RMT] Servant of the Dead, a Ghost Knight team

Go down

[RMT] Servant of the Dead, a Ghost Knight team

Post by Shion on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:54 am

So here it is... a knight team for ghost. I don't know what else to say so here it goes.

Hoopa @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Magician  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Quiet Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe  
- Shadow Ball  
- Psyshock  
- Focus Blast  
- Trick Room

this mostly serves as a trap for any one trying to sweep with a fast pokemon. Hoopa tanks the hit, either through Focus sash or its natural 130 Sp.Def. , sets up Trick Room and Retaliates the attack, which will hurt with its base 150 Sp. Atk. Shadow ball provides a good Stab, Psyshock lets you hit through Special walls, and Focus Blast serves as Coverage, although the 70% Accuracy could be a bit of a gamble. You can switch the Focus Sash for a Life Orb in order to boost its damage although it will become considerably harder to set up Trick Room

---

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club  
Ability: Rock Head  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Bonemerang  
- Flare Blitz  
- Shadow Bone  
- Will-O-Wisp

With Aegislash moving up again to being considered a legend for ghost, this opens up the spot for Alolan Marowak to shine in knight teams. even if it's slow, Alolan Marowak is still tanky and should be able to trade a few hits. it can also benefit from Hoopa's Trick Room should it die before the Trick Room ends. Bonemerang should let you hit through focus sash users, Flare Blitz is used for its sheer power and can be used with a lot less restraint thanks to its Rock Head ability, Shadow Bone  becomes a Reliable STAB move since few resist it and only normal is immune to it, Will-o-Wisp can be used to make trading hits easier for Marowak if you're able to predict a trade. Thick Club is a must on Alolan Marowak.

---

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Disguise  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Swords Dance  
- Shadow Sneak  
- Shadow Claw  
- Play Rough

Mimikyu becomes the second physical attacker of the group. the Combination of Disguise and Focus Sash should allow Mimikyu to survive two attacks, which should be plenty of time to set up. put up Swords Dance as many times as you think its safe and attack with Shadow Claw and Play Rough, using Shadow Sneak whenever something faster than Mimikyu appears. Z-Splash could be used in place of Focus Sash and Swords dance as the boost it gives is higher, however it is a one-time use, which means that if Mimikyu gets switched out for any reason, it might as well be over for him. Another problem with this set are field hazards, although that's where our next pokemon comes into play.

---

Sableye @ Leftovers  
Ability: Prankster  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD  
Careful Nature  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Recover  
- Taunt  
- Knock Off

so, who still remembers this little prankster? Sableye's one objective is to disrupt the opponent team as much as it can. Will-o-Wisp will let you cripple physical attackers, Recover allows you to... well, recover and stay in the game for longer, Taunt stops anyone from trying to set up, and Prankster lets those three of these moves come first in almost any situation, Knock Off is a nice finishing touch, robbing the opposing pokemon of their items, and also allowing Sableye not to become complete Taunt bait itself.

---

Gengar @ Life Orb  
Ability: Cursed Body  
EVs: 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Shadow Ball  
- Sludge Wave  
- Destiny Bond

Gengar is still a pretty strong special sweeper, although there isn't much to say about it. Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave provides a great coverage, and Destiny Bond is there in case you don't think Gengar will be capable of knocking out the opposing pokemon with one of its moves.

---

Cofagrigus @ Iapapa Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Mummy  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA  
Bold Nature  
- Calm Mind  
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic
- Hex  
- Protect

Cofagrigus is a weird sort of tank. Calm Mind patches up its rather lackluster Sp.Atk. and Sp.Def., You have a choice between Will-O-Wisp for better tanking physical attacks, or toxic for a more effective stall, Hex will allow you to hit any pokemon stubborn enough to keep attacking you with a 130BP move should it be statused and protect is a good tool to let you stall the opponent a little longer with your Will-O-Wisp/Toxic. leftovers is still very much serviceable for Cofagrigus but the recent buff to the confusion-heal berries also makes them a pretty viable choice
Shion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [RMT] Servant of the Dead, a Ghost Knight team

Post by Endurr on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:31 am

hello! i don't see too many posts on this forum anymore, but its nice to see an rmt.

quickly getting into changes, my first change would be mimikyu's item. focus sash is great and cool, but needing to get to +3 to have mimikyu actually be able to dent things kinda....sucks. i'd suggest two options. Mimikium Z or  Life Orb. both are neat options, with Mimikium Z giving mimikyu a one time, but strong Fairy-typed nuke and Life Orb giving mimikyu the extra strength it wants.

moving on, I notice that your team lacks a good form of speed control. besides hoopa's trick room and mimikyu's shadow sneak, i find those two unreliable. so here I suggest changing gengar's item to Choice Scarf > Life Orb. gengar uses a choice scarf amazingly, it already sits at a great speed tier and can be used as a lategame cleaner and as a fast pkmn in general. i'd also change Focus Blast > Dazzling Gleam. dazzling gleam only hits dark types and stuff like....sableye, but Focus Blast hits those dark types much stronger while also offering great coverage with shadow ball, becus ghost/fighting is just so good.

looking at cofagrigus, i find that such a "tanky" set is just....so weird on a team like yours. so since your team is also pretty slow with only gengar really being...fast, i suggest changing it into the Ghostium Z sweeper set. it can boost up with nasty plot, and set it's own trick room to abuse. it's great bulk lets it take some hits while it can dish out it's own hits. giving it trick room also lets it support marowak, as my main example, who really appreciates going first.

i can't think of anything to replace sableye, so i'll just let it there for now.

i hope i helped!!!

sets:
Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z OR Life Orb
Ability: Disguise  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Swords Dance  
- Play Rough  
- Shadow Sneak  
- Shadow Claw

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Quiet Nature  
- Shadow Ball  
- Hidden Power [Fighting]  
- Trick Room  
- Nasty Plot

Gengar @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Cursed Body  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Destiny Bond  
- Shadow Ball  
- Focus Blast  
- Sludge Wave
Endurr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mukyuuri on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:34 am

zounds i can't believe CQ discussion is finally being used

Anyway, this seems like a solid start for a Ghost knight team. You don't really have the insane options that a Ghost Lord normally has (Marshadow, Giratina), so your next best bet is taking advantage of many of Ghost's strong attacking options. However, that being said, I think there's still some improvements that could be made:

- There should be more Trick Room users on this team. This entire team is generally very slow, outside of Gengar and Mimikyu. Because of that, Trick Room can help alleviate its speed problems and allow powerhouses like Marowak-A and Hoopa to zip on by. I recommend Cofagrigus (benefits from TR, bulky enough to set it multiple times) and Mimikyu (guarantees one use due to Disguise) if you need more TR users.

- Life Orb over Focus Sash on Hoopa. Since you'll have more TR users, you don't need Focus Sash all that much; Plus, in a hazard-infested game, it's very easy to accidentally lose health and make Focus Sash useless. Meanwhile, Life Orb stays useful all the time and gives you extra firepower. You can also use Choice Specs, but that means you give up Trick Room and become more predictable in exchange for more power and less recoil.

- Swords Dance/Stealth Rock over Will-o-Wisp on Marowak-A. Marowak-A is not built for tanking at all unless you invest in its defensive sides, which you don't want for this team since Marowak-A offers no real useful resistances to cover up its lackluster bulk. Because of that, something else can better fit WoW's slot; Swords Dance gives you an option to boost Marowak-A's Attack skyhigh to break walls, while Stealth Rock gives you a Hazard option that can scare away potential defoggers/taunters by virtue of its sheer power.

- Also, Brave Nature and 0 Spe IVs on Marowak-A to take advantage of TR.

- Mimikium-Z/Life Orb over Focus Sash on Mimikyu. I really do not get why people keep using Sash on Mimikyu. Mimikyu's Attack is mediocre, bordering on bad, so giving it no damage-boosting item is akin to making it hit like a wet noodle. Mimikium-Z gives Mimikyu a huge fairy-type attack that can annihilate Dark-types walls like Mandibuzz, while also acting as a panic button if you can't Swords Dance in time. Life Orb just gives it more power, which is always great because 90 Atk does not hit anything for shit.

- Dhelmise over Sableye. I just really do not think Sableye is good on Ghost anymore. You mainly want it to nullify Dark weaknesses, but it can't even Prankster Dark-types anymore. It's still an utility pick against other types, yes, but I just don't think it pulls enough weight. Meanwhile, Dhelmise gives you a way to get rid of hazards, while still pressuring opponents with its high Attack. It also fits well into Trick Room because of its languid speed. Example Dhelmise set:

Dhelmise @ Leftovers  
Ability: Steelworker  
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def  
Relaxed Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Power Whip  
- Anchor Shot  
- Synthesis  
- Rapid Spin

- This Gengar set is ok. You might want Scarf if you want to outspeed fast mons (Ex. Scarfed Dragons, Alakazam, Hydreigon in particular), but otherwise it does its job well.

- Trick Room over Protect on Cofagrigus, along with a general set rework. Whatever sort of Toxic damage you lose out on is outweighed by how much TR helps out your other teammates, especially since it also helps Cofagrigus itself. With that in mind, you could be taking advantage of Cofagrigus's access to Nasty Plot to let it also abuse TR, like so:

Cofagrigus @ Ghostium Z  / Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA  
Quiet Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe  
- Shadow Ball  
- Hidden Power [Fighting]  
- Nasty Plot  
- Trick Room

Anyway, that's about it. The team looks like it could do a lot of damage overall, but it's so slow that it's bound to be outsped by other threatening wallbreakers like Darmanitan and [insert legendary Dragon here]. Trick Room should help alleviate that problem.

Last edited by Mukyuuri on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to give an alternative for cofagrigus's z-move)

Profile picture by http://untoldprotagonist.tumblr.com/, their art is really good go give them a look
Mukyuuri
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shion on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank both of you for the Advice. you make solid points

there's still something that i was wondering however. Because of how Mega-evolution Works in Gen 7 now (the mega-evolution stats and abilites are applied first before any priority), i was wondering if Banette could also be viable for a Trick Room user

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Gunk Shot
- Destiny Bond

trick room is to have another trick room setter, which should go off immediately thanks to the trick room it gets, Shadow Claw and Gunk Shot are the best coverage combo i could find for it, and destiny bond is to be used when you don't have another option for banette, it should allow you to take at least one pokemon with it.
Shion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SleekzZero on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:58 pm

i can’t believe we’re discussing cq again, it’s great :3

Anyway, to give my thoughts over this knight team:

1) You’ll need more Trick Room mons. Considering that majority of the pokemons here are slow ones, you’ll need another pokemon to help you gain an advantage. If the trick room method doesnt work, then I can suggest giving Hoopa a choice scarf, and replacing trick room with Tbolt.

To answer your question:
Alternatively, you can use Banette, but remember that Prankster only increases priority by 1, and since Trick Room is a -6, it will still be slower than the rest.

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

2) Don’t use sash Mimikyu. Mimikyu already has its ability, Disguise to take any hit and still be alive. You should use that chance to set up. I suggest using a Life Orb or Ghostium Z with Mimikyu to maximize its ability and have the sweeping capability.

[b]3) Sableye is generally weak without its mega, so use Dhelmise.
Prankster Sableye just... doesn’t work these days. Sure, it can be effective with other types, but once they carry the Dark type, Sableye is as good as done. It’s quite brittle and unless you can set up without getting demolished, Sableye is merely just suicide. Dhelmise, on the other hand, can offer a better shot at the team because it has Rapid Spin, and now has recovery thanks to USUM.

Dhelmise @ Leftovers  
Ability: Steelworker  
EVs: 92 HP / 160 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Impish Nature  
- Anchor Shot  
- Power Whip  
- Synthesis  
- Rapid Spin

4) The Gengar set is alright, but you’d need a fast mon if ever your Trick room strategy fails, so give it a scarf.

5) Based on my experiences with Ghost, I don’t recommend using Cofagrius. Jellicent can offer a better play and has Water Absorb, while Cofagrius’ ability, Mummy, only activates on direct physical hits.

Jellicent @ Leftovers  
Ability: Water Absorb  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD  
Sassy Nature  
- Scald  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Recover  
- Hex/Trick Room
SleekzZero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mukyuuri on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 am

Shion wrote:
there's still something that i was wondering however. Because of how Mega-evolution Works in Gen 7 now (the mega-evolution stats and abilites are applied first before any priority), i was wondering if Banette could also be viable for a Trick Room user

As a Trick Room setter? No, it's a tad too frail to be using Trick Room, and as Destium said above, Prankster only lifts Trick Room's priority bracket to -6, which... considering the only things equal to that are phazing moves... yeah, it's not very useful.

But, it does fit in TR for another reason: Its sky-high Attack combined with mediocre speed, which allows it to run 0 EVs -spe and underspeed a lot of things. Not the best option out there considering Marowak-A exists, but it gives you the niche of Shadow Sneak and Priority Destiny Bond. Along with the variety of other support moves it carries (T-wave, Taunt, Will-o-Wisp). An example Banette-Mega set:

Banette @ Banettite  
Ability: Frisk  
Brave Nature  
- Knock Off  
- Shadow Sneak  
- Will-O-Wisp / Shadow Claw
- Destiny Bond

As you'd probably expect, Knock Off hits like a goddamn truck and it also offers utility by removing Eviolite from certain mons (hi Chansey/Porygon2), along with being about as strong as Shadow Claw when the opponent has a held item. Shadow Sneak is your typical priority move, and is generally more reliable compared to Sucker Punch since it doesn't rely on opponent's attacks. (Feel free to sub in Sucker Punch if Meloetta/Girafarig somehow becomes a menace.) Will-o-Wisp can outright cripple physical sweepers (mostly dragon types) without fear of being outsped. Finally, you can live out your dreams of saying "fuck you" to people who don't think twice by clicking Destiny Bond once you're done.

tl;dr Banette is not a good TR setter, but it's an alright TR abuser

Last edited by Mukyuuri on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : did you know that TR is even fucking slower than I thought?)

Profile picture by http://untoldprotagonist.tumblr.com/, their art is really good go give them a look
Mukyuuri
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down