The BIG Q&A Thread!

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Lura Alkina on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:34 am

LargeJellopy wrote:I wouldn't know; I'm under the impression that you're not too bad at all

Now, as I was redirected to ask here, I'll drop the same question I dropped elsewhere:

Do you think Lapras is a mammal or a reptile?

I consider Lapras a mammal due to its many similarities to whales (over-hunting, large size, singing to find partners, associations with ice), due to its fatty, slightly back-curved fins making me think of mammal fins, and due to its curls making me think of rat ears, but there's this doubt coming from its inspiration in many reptiles (Loch Ness, Plesiosaurs, turtles) and its ambiguous body shape, so I ask you this innocent but possibly relevant question - do you consider Lapras a reptile or a mammal?

Near the end, a thought popped up in my head, that said one word:
"Fish"
I'm not sure why...

All in All though, I would consider Lapras a mix, most of it mammal. Yes, it has the features of reptiles and fish, but Lapras seems to be more of a mammal.

So, again, my answer would be mammal, but with a mix of fish and reptile.
avatar
Lura Alkina

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 276
Join date : 2015-11-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by LargeJellopy on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Keeping up the Pokéworld questions, there's a question I've seen being relevant and raising some issues on the main room...
What happens to the Pokémon inside a Pokéball should the container be broken?

Alex, at the time, proposed that they get trapped inside the alternate dimension that a Pokéball contains, due to the Pokéball being essentialy a gateway towards another dimension in which the Pokémon get stored.

However, I disagree (insert Colress here)! A Pokéball not only seems more akin to a "bigger on the inside" thing than a gateway to another dimension (and a "bigger on the inside" seems easier to accomplish than a dimensional warp), but Bulbapedia, the major authority we can count on in such matters, has these words about this:

"A Poké Ball can also be broken, which will release it from ownership, and if a Trainer has done so accidentally, it must somehow be fixed before the Pokémon can be recalled. In the manga, if a Poké Ball is broken before a Pokémon is sent out, then that particular Pokémon can't be used until their Poké Ball has been repaired. This happened several times in the Pokémon Adventures manga, such as during Red's battle against Giovanni, where the opening mechanism for the Poké Balls of Red's Venusaur and Gyarados were damaged, preventing either of them from being used in the match."

So, according to Bulbapedia, a partially damaged Pokéball gets jammed, but a fully broken Pokéball releases the Pokémon. This also ties in to how Pokéworld society seems to care a lot for Pokémon and would rather develop their technologies to free the creatures, should the capsule get broken, rather than somehow making the Pokémon vanish, be it through it popping into another dimension (really unlikely, imo, due to the sheer high-tech of a pocket dimensional warp), through turning it into these red beams of the anime, etc. A broken Pokéball releasing the Pokémon would still allow the trainers to have their Pokémon besides them~~

So, what do you all think on this matter? I know my post is rather one-sided, but that's because I frankly believe that the evidence for Poké Balls releasing Pokémon is superior to that of the mons getting trapped or thrown into another dimension or whatever.

_________________
OCs right now:

Waroo, an Aurorus Hiwahiwa, a Gorebyss Jiggly, a Goodra Cassandra, an Absol
General Winter Morozko, Articuno Jinn, a Whimsicott Jordan, a Lapras Kelly, a Gallade
avatar
LargeJellopy

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 199
Join date : 2015-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Fraction on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:44 am

Personally, about the Ball being damaged, I'd go with 'trapped inside until the ball is repaired'.

But, about it fully broken, I dunno, I can't recall correctly, maybe it was the manga that said the pokemon inside dies. 

Sorry, I'm really tired to give a full explanation.
avatar
Fraction
Voice
Voice

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 655
Join date : 2015-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by PyrrhonWheatley on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:36 pm

I really need to ask this now. Why do people like PokeHigh? I'm serious here, nothing about it seems appealing for teens to come back from school...to act like they're back at school (granted it's not everyone but like 45%). To be honest, most PokeHigh's end up to be a FR within a school with irresponible people bolding every so often. The only logical reason it's still around is because it's "not a free form RP" therefore meaning two FRs can run. MANY hosts don't seem to care what happens or how the quality of the RP is, they just say "next class" or bring people to the principal's office in the funniest way they can (which by the way, isn't funny). Teachers are probably the worst of the bunch, because 9/10 of the ones I see today just slap sonething funny or random in bold and say "IT'S A CLASS" and it's acceptable somehow. Students just FR, but pretend like they're playing attention...*inhale*


So I must ask. Why do people like it?!
avatar
PyrrhonWheatley

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 1455
Join date : 2014-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by LargeJellopy on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Well, I believe Pokéhigh's enjoyment is dependent on how you look at it, because, more than most RPs, it's implausible in concept.

Looking at it bluntly, Pokéhigh is sort of nonsense. Pokémon are much more like animals than like humans in lifestyle, and as such, have no need for education of the same kind of stuff that capitalist-western-society-humans are taught. They need to know stuff like hunting, defending from predators, getting their nests safe, roaming, scouting terrain, recognizing poisoned foods, that sort of survivalist stuff, and none of that is taught by usual high schools. Pokémon don't usually live in a capitalist system and the notion that a Pokémon would need to get a job to survive, like many humans do, is laughable.

Still, there are reasons a Pokéhigh could be good for a Pokémon OC or fun to the player. (And I myself rather enjoy Pokéhigh~~)
Maybe the Pokémon is going for a deeper integration on human society than most and thus wants to get some knowledge. Maybe the Pokémon is seeking to learn some concepts and getting into the Pokéhighs is a chance to add some (I went by this route with Waroo back when she was an Amaura!). Maybe the player just want to play off their favorite high school tropes/dynamics without much regard for plausibility. And, of course, there's the dear Freeform aspect, which allows OCs to show off some facets they can't really show in more structured RPs like MM.

Making an effort to interact with others also can vastly improve one's experience in Pokéhigh. And in most RPs, actually. You get someone else to talk about the teachers with, to discuss subjects, to talk with when lunch comes over, etc... so if you get into Pokéhigh with the right mindset(s), it can be rather fun, despite its nonsensical premise.

I'd also disagree from the assertion that it's school after coming back from school, because Pokéhigh not only opens up space for different teachings than you get IRL, not only does it have people who have a lot more of incentive to try and interact with the others, but... it's also way, way lighter than high school. It often strikes me as lighter than elementary school, to be frank, though that's not fault of the RP itself.

As for myself, I like it due to the freeform aspect, due to the chance to interact, and due to the chance to add some knowledge to my OCs. I especially loved this last part when Waroo was an Amaura, but as she evolved and no high schools were situated on the frozen wastes she now lives in, it became implausible to canonize any appearance of her in a Pokéhigh, and as such, to canonize any knowledge she got in these RPs, hue

May we meet later!

_________________
OCs right now:

Waroo, an Aurorus Hiwahiwa, a Gorebyss Jiggly, a Goodra Cassandra, an Absol
General Winter Morozko, Articuno Jinn, a Whimsicott Jordan, a Lapras Kelly, a Gallade
avatar
LargeJellopy

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 199
Join date : 2015-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Dragonite99 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Spoiler:
LargeJellopy wrote:Well, I believe Pokéhigh's enjoyment is dependent on how you look at it, because, more than most RPs, it's implausible in concept.

Looking at it bluntly, Pokéhigh is sort of nonsense. Pokémon are much more like animals than like humans in lifestyle, and as such, have no need for education of the same kind of stuff that capitalist-western-society-humans are taught. They need to know stuff like hunting, defending from predators, getting their nests safe, roaming, scouting terrain, recognizing poisoned foods, that sort of survivalist stuff, and none of that is taught by usual high schools. Pokémon don't usually live in a capitalist system and the notion that a Pokémon would need to get a job to survive, like many humans do, is laughable.

Still, there are reasons a Pokéhigh could be good for a Pokémon OC or fun to the player. (And I myself rather enjoy Pokéhigh~~)
Maybe the Pokémon is going for a deeper integration on human society than most and thus wants to get some knowledge. Maybe the Pokémon is seeking to learn some concepts and getting into the Pokéhighs is a chance to add some (I went by this route with Waroo back when she was an Amaura!). Maybe the player just want to play off their favorite high school tropes/dynamics without much regard for plausibility. And, of course, there's the dear Freeform aspect, which allows OCs to show off some facets they can't really show in more structured RPs like MM.

Making an effort to interact with others also can vastly improve one's experience in Pokéhigh. And in most RPs, actually. You get someone else to talk about the teachers with, to discuss subjects, to talk with when lunch comes over, etc... so if you get into Pokéhigh with the right mindset(s), it can be rather fun, despite its nonsensical premise.

I'd also disagree from the assertion that it's school after coming back from school, because Pokéhigh not only opens up space for different teachings than you get IRL, not only does it have people who have a lot more of incentive to try and interact with the others, but... it's also way, way lighter than high school. It often strikes me as lighter than elementary school, to be frank, though that's not fault of the RP itself.

As for myself, I like it due to the freeform aspect, due to the chance to interact, and due to the chance to add some knowledge to my OCs. I especially loved this last part when Waroo was an Amaura, but as she evolved and no high schools were situated on the frozen wastes she now lives in, it became implausible to canonize any appearance of her in a Pokéhigh, and as such, to canonize any knowledge she got in these RPs, hue

May we meet later!

Now that there is a quality answer. I applaud you.

Moving on: I personally like PokeHigh, and I'm not even sure what the exact reason is. Sure, it gets boring sometimes, but I guess to each his or her own.
avatar
Dragonite99

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 3541
Join date : 2014-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by LargeJellopy on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:40 pm

And now, for yet one more Pokéworld question...

How do you think we should consider Perish Song to work in RPs?
As the prospect of an inescapable faint-all button to all who hear them, even if at the cost of the user's health, is potentially godmoddy since most OCs are wild Pokémon and thus can't "switch out", I think it should be treated in some other way...

The closer we have in the games to a scenario like the one we'd have in most FRs, with wild Pokémon wandering into locations and the Perish Singer singing from somewhere else and afflicting your party, is in PMD, but honestly speaking, Perish Song is rather broken there as well - you can only escape the fainting countdown by going upstairs or using stuff like Heal Bell. However, this approach does tell us that getting far enough from the Perish Song could relieve one from its effects.

I myself think it would work well like this:
Perish Song affects a wide area around the singer, and in this area, its grisly notes keep echoing. Prolonged exposure to that echo faints whoever is listening. They can, however, escape the area before the song takes its toll. You can also protect against the effects of Perish Song by using stuff like Heal Bell or a Lum Berry, these healers of afflictions, onto yourself. However, be wary that it's possible for something to strike you down and then run away...

This sort of approach makes it so Perish Song isn't really that OP a move as to faint anything that hears it no matter how far they go, gives it a neat combo with Heal Bell, etc.
So, do you think that's good? Would you prefer it in another way?
I sort of get the feeling that this is a bit of overthinking, but hey, at some moment the effects of Perish Song could be an important point, it could make for some fighting in OOC if not defined, and one'd rather be safe than sorry about knowing how to treat these sorts of things.

May we meet later!

_________________
OCs right now:

Waroo, an Aurorus Hiwahiwa, a Gorebyss Jiggly, a Goodra Cassandra, an Absol
General Winter Morozko, Articuno Jinn, a Whimsicott Jordan, a Lapras Kelly, a Gallade
avatar
LargeJellopy

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 199
Join date : 2015-10-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Lux Gracetail on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:08 am

Perish song seems like something that would have to be prearranged, TBH, as it's a killing off OC kinda thing. I could see it working, rather dramatically and excellently, but well, it's slightly on the godmoddy side. I think of Perish Song like the prophetic death knell kinda thing. Actually dying dying.

_________________
"Ego quaerere veritatem."
I seek the truth.


A Lucario in a longcoat. . .  How dangerous could he be?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

avatar
Lux Gracetail
Moderator
Moderator

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 277
Join date : 2014-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:05 am

The problem with perish song is that, if you incapacitate/restrain a target and then run away, bad things happen. It's a one button OC killer, and while I never, ever, saw it in FR, it'd be a huge mess

_________________
Never give up. If you give up, you prove people you are weak. If you are weak, you can't protect the ones you love.

sig links:



avatar
Hydre(Hydreigon)

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 823
Join date : 2015-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Psychoreality on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:00 am

Yeah, if Perish Song isn't counted as godmod it should be. It's very overpowered in RP terms, since it really, REALLY affects too much of FR to be considered as fair.
avatar
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 258
Join date : 2016-01-08

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Lux Gracetail on Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:05 am

Psychoreality wrote:Yeah, if Perish Song isn't counted as godmod it should be. It's very overpowered in RP terms, since it really, REALLY affects too much of FR to be considered as fair.

Alright, my stance on it.

I haven't actually seen the move used, and would prefer not to restrict it as such, until it becomes a necessity, (i.e. abused as a instadeath thing or the somesuch) at which point, we jump on it. Disallowing the use of the move and therefore the possibilities that come with it (a few scenes pop into my mind) seems to stifle creativity. At this point, I see it as something that could be utilised quite effectively as a plot device between two RPers who know what they're doing (and have possibly preplanned).

_________________
"Ego quaerere veritatem."
I seek the truth.


A Lucario in a longcoat. . .  How dangerous could he be?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

avatar
Lux Gracetail
Moderator
Moderator

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 277
Join date : 2014-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Psychoreality on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:42 am

Lux Gracetail wrote:
Psychoreality wrote:Yeah, if Perish Song isn't counted as godmod it should be. It's very overpowered in RP terms, since it really, REALLY affects too much of FR to be considered as fair.

Alright, my stance on it.

I haven't actually seen the move used, and would prefer not to restrict it as such, until it becomes a necessity, (i.e. abused as a instadeath thing or the somesuch) at which point, we jump on it.  Disallowing the use of the move and therefore the possibilities that come with it (a few scenes pop into my mind) seems to stifle creativity.  At this point, I see it as something that could be utilised quite effectively as a plot device between two RPers who know what they're doing (and have possibly preplanned).

Fair enough, however writing around Perish Song being a sound which kills anyone in earshot would take significant skill, is all I'm trying to say. I know FR is the worst of all the RPs in terms of spatial relations, but if everyone is in a forest chances are someone's gonna hear it. I'm on the fence as for now. I do agree with Lux saying it shouldn't be banned, but at the same time it would be super messy to place in an RP about interacting and being open to intrusion.
avatar
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 258
Join date : 2016-01-08

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Aker-Sama on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Since this thread appears to be dead, Aker will now take your questions. Ask him anything you want.
avatar
Aker-Sama

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 53
Join date : 2014-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Dragonite99 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Actually, I have a question for any auth that happen to be looking at this thread.

Alright, so I have a relatively new OC named Ivan. He hasn't been in very many roleplays yet, and I always leave room for character development when I make a new OC, so please bear with me.

I wasn't sure where to ask this, so I've come to this thread again.
Ivan's mind is cracked, but he is still sane enough to be aware and in control of himself. He is NOT some psycho who wants to go around killing people. He thinks of everything as a game, and can be serious while still having the game mindset. This makes some people a little uncomfortable around him. There's just one thing to him, though. He created the game known as Russian Roulette, and for some reason, as the game's creator, he cannot lose the game. Meaning there will never be a bullet in whatever chamber is the one that happens to land in teh barrel (or however the phrasing for it goes). Every time he has played it, everyone else has died, or the game is interrupted in some way. He's also tried to commit suicide several times before, but because he, once again, has the gaming mindset, he makes a game out of it. All his attempts fail, but sometimes they will leave him injured in some way depending on what he tried.

With this, I wanted to ask what the staff's viewpoint on this is. I really like this aspect of him; the strange Cinccino who smiles and loves to play games, but no matter what, he just cannot lose to his own game. I don't want this to be considered as godmodding, because there are definitely ways you could kill him. (RR is probably a really old game as far as I can tell, but I am working out the details of his backstory on how he managed to live so long into the present, but I don't want to put anything final here yet because i feel like what little bits I have are not solid).
This Cinccino does other things, too, not just play a game he can't lose at, if you're wondering. He just makes a game out of whatever he does. I've only ever brought up RR in one major RP, and it was in Freeroam with one other person. They got interrupted halfway through (partly to me rushing to it because I had to leave) so I don't know how the game would have ended. The person I RP'd with seemed pretty up to the challenge, so I felt like it was okay to bring up such a subject as Russian Roulette in that one RP. I don't plan on bringing that game up every single time I rp, but I wanted to know the staff's viewpoint on this. I don't want this to be considered godmodding, but I feel like if I took away this aspect, I don't know how to set apart Ivan from my other characters.

(Whew that was long)
avatar
Dragonite99

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 3541
Join date : 2014-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Fraction on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:27 pm

Dragonite99 wrote:He's also tried to commit suicide several times before, but because he, once again, has the gaming mindset, he makes a game out of it. All his attempts fail, but sometimes they will leave him injured in some way depending on what he tried.
Reminds me of the time when Ken Kaneki tried to kill himself with a knife. The knife broke when it contacted his skin. Three episodes later, he got a cut from a piece of plastic. 
Sorry, had to. :c
avatar
Fraction
Voice
Voice

Status :
Online
Offline

Posts : 655
Join date : 2015-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum