The BIG Q&A Thread!

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The BIG Q&A Thread!

Post by Articuno on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:37 pm

While we do want to encourage creativity amongst our users, I will make a point of saying that not everyone can handle more mature themes (and I would count the Russian Roulette as that). Using RR as a part of your character errs on the side of warnable, as it can involve a rather controversial death, and, as you admitted, your character will never lose. The whole game idea is interesting, but that particular aspect of it seems a bit unnecessary.

You could easily remove the suicide part and still have a unique character. It's... dangerous, in my opinion, to have something like Russian Roulette be an integral part of your character when something else could easily suffice. If you can think of something like this to set him apart from your other characters, you can definitely come up with something else.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:07 am

Articuno wrote:While we do want to encourage creativity amongst our users, I will make a point of saying that not everyone can handle more mature themes (and I would count the Russian Roulette as that). Using RR as a part of your character errs on the side of warnable, as it can involve a rather controversial death, and, as you admitted, your character will never lose. The whole game idea is interesting, but that particular aspect of it seems a bit unnecessary.

You could easily remove the suicide part and still have a unique character. It's... dangerous, in my opinion, to have something like Russian Roulette be an integral part of your character when something else could easily suffice. If you can think of something like this to set him apart from your other characters, you can definitely come up with something else.

Yeah, I was gonna ask about that too, and he has stated that although he can never lose, it does not mean he always wins. I wasn't gonna bring it up a lot which is why I left a very large space for him to improve and actually...what's the word...

There are plenty other variations on the game, so I could change it if necessary. But thank you for the advice, I'll look into Ivan further and see what I can do. ^_^
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:09 am

Is there like a good online site to make your own maps, I noticed just now how good a roleplay would be if it had a map.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:15 am

Allyson(Ninetales) wrote:Is there like a good online site to make your own maps, I noticed just now how good a roleplay would be if it had a map.
Maybe not online but there is plenty of software where you can probably make your own.

On waaaaay off-topic thing (good thing I'm on this thread) there's this song I really want to learn on the piano so I had the sheet music all printed out, wrote in the note names for ledger lines that I don't read fluently, etc. Thing is, I quit piano lessons because they took up so much of my time and I really hated the recitals, so now I'm not as good at it as I used to be. I still know what keys are what notes, I will never forget that, but my hands just don't...you know, do what I want them to do. There's only one song I can play memorised still and it was one of my first recital pieces. Anyway, I'm just here looking for advice of any sort of what I should do. I know the obvious answer is "practice" but that's a lot harder than you think it seems. But yes, of course I will practice. I don't know whether I should go to lessons over the summer to get help on learning this thing because I had a break between summer gym which just finished, and then art camp starts next week. So, yeah, advice is greatly appreciated. Provided anyone still reads this thread. ^^'

Oh, yeah, if you wanna know what the song is, here is a link to it: https://musescore.com/user/1337816/scores/1215826
I did actually ask a friend if they could learn the flute part, but if for some reason he doesn't have the time to, that's alright, the piano part alone sounds cool by itself, too. :3
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Dragonite99 wrote:
Allyson(Ninetales) wrote:Is there like a good online site to make your own maps, I noticed just now how good a roleplay would be if it had a map.
Maybe not online but there is plenty of software where you can probably make your own.

On waaaaay off-topic thing (good thing I'm on this thread) there's this song I really want to learn on the piano so I had the sheet music all printed out, wrote in the note names for ledger lines that I don't read fluently, etc. Thing is, I quit piano lessons because they took up so much of my time and I really hated the recitals, so now I'm not as good at it as I used to be. I still know what keys are what notes, I will never forget that, but my hands just don't...you know, do what I want them to do. There's only one song I can play memorised still and it was one of my first recital pieces. Anyway, I'm just here looking for advice of any sort of what I should do. I know the obvious answer is "practice" but that's a lot harder than you think it seems. But yes, of course I will practice. I don't know whether I should go to lessons over the summer to get help on learning this thing because I had a break between summer gym which just finished, and then art camp starts next week. So, yeah, advice is greatly appreciated. Provided anyone still reads this thread. ^^'

Oh, yeah, if you wanna know what the song is, here is a link to it: https://musescore.com/user/1337816/scores/1215826
I did actually ask a friend if they could learn the flute part, but if for some reason he doesn't have the time to, that's alright, the piano part alone sounds cool by itself, too. :3

Practice.

Literally. There is no miracle or anything for learning how to play an instrument. Learn how to play a single hand, right then left (or the other way if you write with your left hand), then both. Even if a hand plays a single, long note. It helps memorize it.

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Spoiler:
Hydre(Hydreigon) wrote:
Dragonite99 wrote:

Practice.

Literally. There is no miracle or anything for learning how to play an instrument. Learn how to play a single hand, right then left (or the other way if you write with your left hand), then both. Even if a hand plays a single, long note. It helps memorize it.
Well, if you say so. XD I'd better get on it, then.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:10 am

It's also important to play the piece in sections. Start with each individual bar if it's a tricky bit, then string together the phrase. So to learn the first 8 bars of that, I'd do the whole 8 bars super slowly, then I'd work at each individual bar, making sure I have the right fingering for what I'm doing. I'd then string together the first 4 and play that until I have it right, play the next 4 until they're right. Then finally try to group the middle 2 bars (4 and 5) to get the transition right before doing all 8.

Key thing is to play slowly. Play as slow as you have to to go from start to finish. DON'T speed up because you're playing crochets or minims instead of quavers, keep the speed consistent all the way through. Work out which bits give you the most trouble, practice them more. Keep playing until you get it right. Bring the speed up, whenever you slip up understand why. Did you fail to move your fingers fast enough in this section? Play that section over and over until you get it perfect 3 times in a row.

If a piece is too hard you may be lacking the right techniques to play. The best way to improve in that regard is through scales, arpeggios and all that shit. Is it fun? No. Is it worth it? Yes. If you're still having trouble, you may want to take it to an experienced teacher who can help you work out why you're not able to do it. I've been doing music for 25 years, there is no shortcut.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Also, a bit late but try https://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php for map submission. For actually making your maps, it depends what you're after. There's a few random map generators on the net, such as https://donjon.bin.sh/ but if you want to make one yourself, then you just need any drawing program. You can hand-draw maps in paint, but if you want them to turn out good you'll want one that allows layers.

If you want to make maps like what I did for the room, I generated the land from this tutorial: http://imgur.com/gallery/mU9M6 this involves using photoshop filters, so it or something very like it will be needed to do it.
I then used brushes I found on deviantart. I don't know which ones they were but they're extremely easy to find. The forests I used a dark green brush with a wide spread and high count so I could fill in a large area. The hills I used about half the count to add those in, and for other features I mostly added individually.

Even if you don't use that tutorial it has some useful techniques, such as adding a clouded layer at a low visibility to the top to give it a bit of variance, whilst also adding multiple layers for your land to make your coast more defined. When making maps always go for a very large image size to start with. The original RP World Map was 3000 x 1800 and I wouldn't suggest going too much smaller than that. I had to blow that up considerably to make the world map feel more like a world and less like a region.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:19 am

Rico wrote:It's also important to play the piece in sections. Start with each individual bar if it's a tricky bit, then string together the phrase. So to learn the first 8 bars of that, I'd do the whole 8 bars super slowly, then I'd work at each individual bar, making sure I have the right fingering for what I'm doing. I'd then string together the first 4 and play that until I have it right, play the next 4 until they're right. Then finally try to group the middle 2 bars (4 and 5) to get the transition right before doing all 8.

Key thing is to play slowly. Play as slow as you have to to go from start to finish. DON'T speed up because you're playing crochets or minims instead of quavers, keep the speed consistent all the way through. Work out which bits give you the most trouble, practice them more. Keep playing until you get it right. Bring the speed up, whenever you slip up understand why. Did you fail to move your fingers fast enough in this section? Play that section over and over until you get it perfect 3 times in a row.

If a piece is too hard you may be lacking the right techniques to play. The best way to improve in that regard is through scales, arpeggios and all that shit. Is it fun? No. Is it worth it? Yes. If you're still having trouble, you may want to take it to an experienced teacher who can help you work out why you're not able to do it. I've been doing music for 25 years, there is no shortcut.

Thanks! This was a kinda of answer I was looking for. XD I'll try this technique out. Honestly, I haven't gone to lessons in so long, I pretty much forgot how to practice, other than "play through it until it sounds right", silly as that may seem. From what i remember, practicing piano is going to be different from practicing choir.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:38 am

Both follow the same general rule which is "3 times perfect". If you've got a spot that's too hard, you should practice and practice at it until you can do it 3 times in a row perfect. Tricky fingering, note at the edge of your range, discordant surprise, difficult words or just the piece being faster than what you can manage. What you have to do is the same, the instruments are just vastly different.
A singer doesn't have to worry about manual dexterity to get their notes. A pianist doesn't have to worry about tonal quality or words to get theirs.

Also, if you find something you want to play is simply too hard, try to find something that is just a little easier. A lot of the pieces you normally learn when learning to play are chosen because they teach you how to do various things. My playing improved a fair amount after sitting down and hammering away at Für Elise, as that helped me a LOT with arpeggios and a little with chords.

What people say is true, you just keep practising over and over... but you do have to practice with purpose. Just playing from start to finish every time is really only going to make you play the bits you do well better... because you'll scream through those and then struggle through the hard bits until you find the easy bits again.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:14 am

Rico wrote:
Also, a bit late but try https://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php for map submission. For actually making your maps, it depends what you're after. There's a few random map generators on the net, such as https://donjon.bin.sh/ but if you want to make one yourself, then you just need any drawing program. You can hand-draw maps in paint, but if you want them to turn out good you'll want one that allows layers.

If you want to make maps like what I did for the room, I generated the land from this tutorial: http://imgur.com/gallery/mU9M6 this involves using photoshop filters, so it or something very like it will be needed to do  it.
I then used brushes I found on deviantart. I don't know which ones they were but they're extremely easy to find. The forests I used a dark green brush with a wide spread and high count so I could fill in a large area. The hills I used about half the count to add those in, and for other features I mostly added individually.

Even if you don't use that tutorial it has some useful techniques, such as adding a clouded layer at a low visibility to the top to give it a bit of variance, whilst also adding multiple layers for your land to make your coast more defined. When making maps always go for a very large image size to start with. The original RP World Map was 3000 x 1800 and I wouldn't suggest going too much smaller than that. I had to blow that up considerably to make the world map feel more like a world and less like a region.
Thanks Rico, I'll just try the generator xD
No I'm quite serious since I can't install anything in my computer (it's very old only 32 GB and it's almost full now), anyways please don't tell me to get a new one I cannot.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotom's Pokedex on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:23 am

Hey, just a minor question.

Say so that you want to get legend permissions, but keep getting denied. For me, that was my case. I went to ask a staff member, and they say that being too awkward having a bad reputation would be a red flag, and if you have been in here for longer than 3 months, you all know my first cruises.

So, what I'm asking.. How do you become a better person in the Roleplaying room altogether?

hi, i'm no longer active but thanks for seeing this dump, pls contact me on Pokefarm
• dump •:

Did you expect to find anything important in here? No? Just take some dancing birds.

credits to top.mailbox on PFQ for avatar
Rotom's Pokedex
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychoreality on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:54 am

There are a couple I've found. donjon.bin.sh creates whole worlds randomly using seeds and water/ice percentages, and Fantasy Name Generators has a map creator on a smaller scale.
Psychoreality
Driver
Driver

View user profile http://psychoreality19.wix.com/popranter

Back to top Go down

Post by Endurr on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:31 pm

Rotom's Pokedex wrote:
So, what I'm asking.. How do you become a better person in the Roleplaying room altogether?

Rotom's Pokedex wrote:
How do you become a better person in the Roleplaying room altogether?

Rotom's Pokedex wrote:
become a better person

Rotom's Pokedex wrote:
become a better person

that question answers itself
there's no secret trick to it nor an answer on how to become a better person
edit: oh yeah side note don't become a better person just to get something i.e legend perms, you gotta show it...and stuff
Endurr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 pm

(removing text from this post since i can't delete it)

Last edited by Dragonite99 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top