[CQ RMT] (Bug) "End of Days"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[CQ RMT] (Bug) "End of Days"

Post by Galom on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:03 pm

"End of Days"
A CQ Bug-type RMT by Galom

"Genocide" | "Extinction" | "Pestilence" | "Apocalypse" | "Pandemic" | "Armageddon"

Note: Despite being designed for Bug Warlord, this team is actually also legal for Bug Knight.

Purpose
Hey all, welcome to my first Conquest RMT! I figured that since a lot of people around these forums are not exactly avid competitive battlers, they could use a hand in learning how to make a proper RMT. This is supposed to be an example of what a simple yet effective RMT that meets all guidelines looks like. Enjoy, and hopefully you learn something!

Introduction
Though I used to play as a Warlord in Conquest quite a lot, I do not anymore, so there is no point in being secretive about my teams any longer. This team, though I never actually won a CQ with it (probably due to my usual refusal to form alliance and headstrong challenging of type disadvantages) has gotten quite close many times, and has had a few games where, even though I ended up losing the final match, I controlled upwards of 13 Kingdoms at once.

I might get around to writing a CQ Type Viability thread sometime, but for now, I will voice my opinion that Bug is simply one of the best for this format. This is for one simple reason -- it doesn’t rely on Legendary Pokemon and only has one Uber, and is therefore are largely unaffected by the "one Mega/Legend/Uber" clause. Even without a large selection of Ubers, Bug has a huge selection of great Mega Evolutions, each of them filling their respective niches excellently.

This RMT is as close as Bug can get to Balance, carrying all-out attackers, multiple wall/support Pokemon, set-up sweepers, etc. Bug in general is a very offensive type and can absolutely overwhelm the opposition in the swarm when using this strategy.

Meet the Pokemon

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Choice Band Scizor, being one of my favorite Pokemon in OU, was an obvious first choice for a Monotype-Bug team. When donning a Choice Band, Scizor's attack stat is boosted from the formidable 394 to the absurd 591, allowing even its non STAB- or Technician-boosted attacks to do crazy amounts of damage to targets. Technician is mandatory on any Scizor that's not a "Skizzor" or holding a Mega Stone, as it makes Scizor's staple move Bullet Punch reach 90 Base Power after STAB. The EV spread allows for good bulk whilst taking minimal damage from Stealth Rock, as well as providing absolute maximum attack. An Adamant Nature is selected to boost Scizor's attack even futher. U-Turn is a standard move on CB Scizor as it helps you to build momentum and hit incredibly hard in the process. Bullet Punch is to stop sweepers, or to even sweep through Rock, which can otherwise be problematic (once Mega Aggron, if present, is removed, Scizor can generally 6-0 Rock alone). Knock Off is chosen because it is just a fantastic move, smacking switch-ins and removing annoying items like Choice Scarves or Leftovers. Superpower is chosen to hit pesky Steel-types like Heatran or Ferrothorn that would love nothing more than to wall Scizor's STABs.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Pinsir is a horrifying sweeper. With access to both Close Combat and Earthquake, it also makes a great check to some of Bug's biggest weaknesses. For many teams, +2 can mean "GG," since so much is outright KO'd by Quick Attack or Return once a boost has been obtained. Moxie is chosen for CQ since things like Landorus-Therian, the most common intimidate user in OU, is virtually nonexistent, and Moxie can instead be used to obtain a free +1 by picking off an opponent hanging on by Sturdy or Sash while still in base form, which can then be used to sweep after Mega Evolving the next turn. The EV / Nature spread allow Pinsir to run as fast as possible whilst hitting as hard as it can simultaneously, while still taking favorable damage from Stealth Rock. Flying-type Return is your main STAB move, as it hits a stupid 199 Base Power after Aerilate and STAB are factored. Earthquake is the coverage move of choice, allowing Pinsir to have utility in matches against types like Fire, Rock, and Steel, which are otherwise problematic for the Pokemon. Flying-type Quick Attack is your priority move, reaching 78 Base Power after Aerilate and STAB. Swords Dance turns Pinsir from scary to horrifying, and quite often gives your opponent a good reason just to click "X".

Forretress @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

There's probably no type that hates entry hazards more than Bug, since they are so limited in the selection of Pokemon they have to remove them and have a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock. It is absolutely necessary to run Forretress to Rapid Spin them away, as several members of my team will lose half their HP just by switching into rocks. Sturdy is Forretress' best ability, allowing you to be guaranteed one layer of hazards up against an opponent, and when paired with a Red Card, it can stop sweeps in emergencies. The EV / Nature spread is very straightforward, providing maximum Physical bulk whilst still taking reduced damage from Stealth Rock; the rest is just dumped into Special Defense. Gyro Ball is chosen to prevent Forretress from becoming Taunt bait, and allows it to have some function against types like Rock, who have some fast sweepers that really fear it. Stealth Rock and Spikes form one half of this Pokemon's purpose, and having both lets you set whichever one is more effective against your opponent. Rapid Spin is the other reason this Poke is here, as spin support on mono-Bug is obligatory.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Def
Modest Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Volcarona was my choice for a primary Special Attack Pokemon on this team, simply due to the fact that once set up, nothing really stops it barring Aqua Jet. Leftovers, Flame Body, and 248/252 Physical bulk was chosen as the focus of EV investment as it makes Volcarona quite durable on both sides--Physical and Special--after one Quiver Dance. A Modest Nature and 8 SpA EVs ensure that, even though largely uninvested, Volcarona still hits quite hard, even unboosted. Fiery Dance is Volcarona's best Fire STAB option, thanks to the absurdly high chance to give +1 SpA, only further burying your opponent. Bug Buzz forms decent STAB coverage, but Volca is still walled by Rock-types. This is remedied by Giga Drain, hitting Rock-types for super-effective damage and providing Volcarona with recovery that any setup sweeper needs. Quiver Dance is chosen as the setup move since it's the arguably the best setup move in the game that has no repercussions. At +1 Speed, Volcarona actually outspeeds most things, even uninvested in the stat.

Venomoth @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass

Before you start screaming in protest, yes. I am running Baton Pass Venomoth with only one other Special Attacker on my team, even when it's one that already has access to the same boosting move. Why? It's simple. I don't always even Baton Pass to Volcarona. Everything appreciates Speed or SpD on my team. With +1 Speed, Pinsir can often sweep without even boosting due to not having to rely on Quick Attack and instead being able to spam Return or Earthquake. With +1 SpD, Forretress actually becomes a decent dual tank, though Gyro Ball's power is reduced thanks to the +1 Spe. However, if I do manage to just send a fresh Volcarona out with +1 SpA, SpD, and Spe, it can be very hard for the opponent to overcome.

However, Baton Pass is not even the main reason I'm using Venomoth. The purpose lies in its ability, Tinted Lens, which is absolutely fantastic in Monotype. Physically bulky Steel- or other types that resist Bug get put to sleep, set up on, and smashed by a +1 normally effective (thanks to Tinted Lens) Bug Buzz. You literally don't even have to run coverage, since Bug Buzz's power is boosted against types that resist it. I've gotten multiple sweeps with Venomoth against types like Steel, Fighting, Fire, and Poison--all matches that would otherwise have been exceedingly difficult. Tinted Lens is such a good ability in Monotype that Venomoth, despite normally being a support 'mon, just can't be passed up.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Protect

Scolipede rounds off the team as a hybrid between an SD sweeper and a Baton Passer. After one Speed Boost, Scolipede reaches 404 Speed, fast enough to outrun 95% of the metagame, despite only running 36 Speed EVs. Attack is maximized to allow Scolipede to set up an SD against Fire thanks to Focus Sash and and sweep the matchup with Earthquake once Charizard and any priority users have been eliminated. Alternatively, Scolipede can simply Baton Pass +2 Atk and +1 Speed to Pinsir or Scizor, depending on the matchup, which will generally just win me the game.

Conclusion
Hope you learned something, and feel free to use this team. I’m largely retiring it and only plan to use it again when I play as Bug Knight. It’s got a bit of a learning curve, but it has the potential to beat any type, pretty easily. This team is definitely most weak to Flying, so watch out for them, even though Flying is a pretty weak type in CQ. I highly recommend allying with Electric when playing as this team, as you can easily protect it from Ground, while it can protect you from Flying.

If you have any changes to recommend, feel free to leave them as a response, I'll consider them. The purpose of this RMT was to show how a good one should look, so I encourage you all to take up the practice of making RMTs. I love rating teams, and I love making them as well, so I feel a lot of fun could be had. Have fun with the team.

If you want more of these, let me know you like them; I have a team for pretty much every type. I can start posting one every now and then.

Importable:
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Forretress @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Def
Modest Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Venomoth @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Protect
Shoutouts:
- Death God Anubis: My battle bro, we talk strategy, sets, and breeding projects all the time.
- Lux (Lucario): He’s faced this team probably more times than either of us can remember with his Steel team. To this day, I’ve never beaten him with this team, since Air Balloon Heatran sorta brings my team to its knees.
- Tour Just Tour: My usual ally in CQ.

”The amateur practices until he gets it right. The pro practices until he can’t get get it wrong."

Last edited by Galom on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:14 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Added names.)

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [CQ RMT] (Bug) "End of Days"

Post by PotatoBlaster on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:40 am

Good team, but I have some comments to make. Well, 2.

1) Very minor, but still helpful in the long run. Relaxed over Impish on Forretress? It makes Gyro Ball stronger, and I doubt Forretress would be outspeeding anything anyways.

2) Why not run Close Combat over something on Pinsir-Mega? I'd rather run it over Return, because Quick Attack already exists, and you don't need that much power with Swords Dance boosts.

+6 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 280-330 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 338-398 (101.1 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 426-502 (110.6 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+4 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 240-283 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+4 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 289-341 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+4 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 356-419 (97.8 - 115.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+4 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 296-348 (81.3 - 95.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Just a couple calcs to sort-of prove my point. ~inb4postingcalcsaren'tallowed~
PotatoBlaster

View user profile http://...

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:19 am

Well, I'm never going to send in Pinsir to sweep while Skarmory is still in play. I'm already running EQ, which OHKOs any Heatran unboosted, given that it's not holding an Air Balloon. I have other ways around Bronzong in my team, specifically Volcarona, which pretty much sets up all over it. Metagross, as previously mentioned, takes a huge chunk unboosted with EQ and dies at +2.

I've thought about putting Close Combat on it before, but in honesty, it doesn't really help in any instance except against the likes of Air Balloon Heatran. Return is such an amazing move on Pinsir that I'm not giving it up for questionably better coverage.

I changed the nature in the RMT to Relaxed. In my actual teambuilder, it was already Relaxed... I dunno how that got switched around. Thanks for pointing it out.

I appreciate the rate.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shan Elarial on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:29 pm

First off, vivillon fits the spot way better than venomoth. Seeing as it has compound eyes. Second off, volcarona should always have roost, lest you come in contact wih stealth rocks or are heavily damaged. Third, (this is just personal preference) you should probably choose between quick attack and return. Having a variety of moves is extremely helpful. And lastly, (again, personal pref) you should probably not have choice banded scizor, since without any ability boost, it can only go so far before barely doing any damage, or straight up becoming useless. But, overall, amazing team.
Shan Elarial

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:58 am

Shan Elarial wrote:First off, vivillon fits the spot way better than venomoth. Seeing as it has compound eyes. Second off, volcarona should always have roost, lest you come in contact wih stealth rocks or are heavily damaged. Third, (this is just personal preference) you should probably choose between quick attack and return. Having a variety of moves is extremely helpful. And lastly, (again, personal pref) you should probably not have choice banded scizor, since without any ability boost, it can only go so far before barely doing any damage, or straight up becoming useless. But, overall, amazing team.
Hey, thanks for reading the RMT.

Firstly, I'm not even considering changing Vivillon out for Venomoth. I've been asked about this many times, and in my opinion, Tinted Lens is just the better ability in monotype-themed battles, since Venomoth is able to get amazing coverage with only one attack. Landing Sleep Powder with 100% accuracy would be nice, but Tinted Lens is just too valuable to pass up. While Vivillon is the better Baton Passer, Venomoth is the better offensive Poke thanks to its ability. Venomoth isn't even really here to Baton Pass -- it's here to sweep through types that normally resist Bug like Steel.

I run both Return and Quick Attack, since Return hits about 2.5x harder, and is pretty much the reason Pinsir is as highly rated as it is (199 Base Power is fucking insane). Quick Attack is also mandatory on Mega Pinsir, as it provides powerful (78 Base Power) priority to pick off frail sweepers like Greninja, Mega Lopunny, Mega Gallade, etc.

I realize that Roost is another option, but I run Giga Drain to hit Rock. I've never really had a situation where I've wished I had Roost > Giga Drain.

As a word of advice to you, Roost is not a good move on a Scizor that isn't holding a Mega Stone or using Defog. Choice Band Scizor is undoubtably the best offensively-oriented variant that does not require a Mega Stone.

Thanks for the rate.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MoniStar on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:36 am

Hey, this is just for curiosities sake. Have you ever considered possibly running a Bulkier Scizor for the times when you Baton Pass from Scolipede onto it, You could give it some Defence and HP EV's to help it tank hits, maybe something like Roost to heal and a Lum berry to deal with Priority Will O' Wisp (Or just burn in general), since you'll already be getting a decent boost from Scoliopede to Attack and speed, maybe give it bulk to take a hit should it need to come in on a strong attack. Maybe even give it Swords Dance if it can't get the boost from Scoliopede anymore?

That's just some food for thought... Other then that I don't see a lot of other issues with it, it seems pretty solid.

Also how often to you really use Forretress's Gyro ball, Yes it gets stab and It's a very slow pokemon, but it seems like it has it's work cut out for it Getting rid of Hazards on your side, and setting them up on the enemies side. I've seem some people use Volt Switch in a Forretress, just so that if you need to switch from Forretress, but don't want your pokemon to come in tanking a Stone Edge or something, they will Volt Switch, so that They can A. Deal some extra damage to the enemy, and B. It let's Forretress take the hit over your other, more frail bug types as it's very rarely ever going to be faster then the enemy.

Just more food for thought.

MoniStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:38 am

MoniStar wrote:Hey, this is just for curiosities sake. Have you ever considered possibly running a Bulkier Scizor for the times when you Baton Pass from Scolipede onto it, You could give it some Defence and HP EV's to help it tank hits, maybe something like Roost to heal and a Lum berry to deal with Priority Will O' Wisp (Or just burn in general), since you'll already be getting a decent boost from Scoliopede to Attack and speed, maybe give it bulk to take a hit should it need to come in on a strong attack. Maybe even give it Swords Dance if it can't get the boost from Scoliopede anymore?

That's just some food for thought... Other then that I don't see a lot of other issues with it, it seems pretty solid.

Also how often to you really use Forretress's Gyro ball, Yes it gets stab and It's a very slow pokemon, but it seems like it has it's work cut out for it Getting rid of Hazards on your side, and setting them up on the enemies side. I've seem some people use Volt Switch in a Forretress, just so that if you need to switch from Forretress, but don't want your pokemon to come in tanking a Stone Edge or something, they will Volt Switch, so that They can A. Deal some extra damage to the enemy, and B. It let's Forretress take the hit over your other, more frail bug types as it's very rarely ever going to be faster then the enemy.

Just more food for thought.
Hey, thanks for taking the time to read my RMT.

Firstly, I strongly disagree with using any Scizor that is not holding a Mega Stone and is not running either--A: Choice Band, or B: Bulky Defog. If you want to run Bulky Swords Dance Scizor, you might as well use Mega Scizor, since the extra bulk Scizorite provides makes it actually possible to set up against a significant amount of the metagame. Despite being a durable Pokemon, base form Scizor is just not quite bulky enough to justify the use of a Swords Dance set. Besides, Monotype is a very hyper-offensive tier, and it is often difficult or impossible to set up against a type you are weak to, while Choice Band allows you to instantly come out and start spamming Bullet Punch.

I see a lot of people using Volt Switch Forretress, and I have to disagree with the strategy pretty strongly. Volt Switch is good on a Pokemon that forces a lot of switches (prime example: Rotom-Wash), and Forretress just does not have the power to do so. On the other hand, Gyro Ball actually compensates for Forretress's awful offensive presence by reaching absurd power thanks to low speed. It's also just another option against Rock and even Flying, since most are absurdly fast and will take huge damage. I guess I'll try it out, since the argument of "taking the hit" for a switch in is definitely valid, but I honestly expect that I'll be missing Gyro Ball quite often.

Thanks for the rate.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MoniStar on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:59 am

No worries.

You're much better at CW and team making then I am, so I figured you had reasons. I just thought I'd post it to see what those were, or to tell you (In the exceedingly rare chance you didn't know already =P)

MoniStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neolis on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:12 pm

I dunno if this works or not, but I've been wanting to try a weird Volcarona set. I've seen this set once or twice in Monotype and its been successful.
Volcarona @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

The idea of the set is to get SpA boosts with Fiery Dance (Late Game) and sweep the opponents team. Tell me if it works out for you. Bug Buzz is a powerful stab and HP Ground+ Giga Drain for overall coverage.

Last edited by Neolis on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot something)
Neolis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46 pm

None of those moves you are putting out there are that outlandish on a Volcarona, but the combination of all of them without Quiver Dance is. QD is probably one of the most OP boosting moves in the game, and it is the reason that Volca is as good as it is. To not use it would be avoiding the sun god's full potential.

Thanks for the rate regardless.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top