Flying type Uber/Legend spot?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flying type Uber/Legend spot?

Post by MoniStar on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:38 am

As many people are aware, Flying type has a large amount of great pokemon, which make it one of the strongest types in Monotype.

However, a lot of the great Flying type pokemon, are legendaries, such as Landourus, Thunderous, Zapdos, etc.

In addition to this, Flying Types have some great Mega's as well, like Both of the Charizards, Mega-Salamance (Until it was banned), Gyarados, etc.

My Question is, out of ALL these great Flying choices, we are restricted to just one, So! Which ones are the cream of the crop and why~?

---Short Version---

Which Flying Type would you put in the Mega/Uber/Legend spot and why?

MoniStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flying type Uber/Legend spot?

Post by Galom on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:17 am

As of right now, the best options that Flying has would be Lugia or Ho-Oh defensively and Rayquaza or Mega Salamence offensively.

EDIT: These are more of just for raw power. If you want something that synergizes well with your type, as PotatoBlaster stated, Thundurus-Therian, Landorus-Therian / Landorus-Incarnate, or MegaZardX are your best options. Now, none of these can sweep like Rayquaza can, due to its ridiculous offensive stats and access to amazing priority in Extreme Speed, but they do provide a resistance or immunity to a type that you are weak to.

Last edited by Galom on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PotatoBlaster on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:23 am

As a (somewhat) good Flying type user, I'd honestly recommend Landorus, Thundurus, or Mega Charizard X. I've not yet tried Mega Salamence, and I most likely will not for a long time. The major reason I'd recommend those three is because of the existence of Electric (and Ice in the case of Charizard X, or Rock in the case of Landorus) being able to sweep Flying easily. Without Gliscor, something random like scarfrom Bolt Strike or even the same attack on a scarftini could easily sweep through Flying, because of the lack of good Flying types that don't take SE damage. (well, scarfmence is a thing) Unless if you're running Emolga, Jumpluff, Tropius, Noivern, Altaria (which I don't recommend), Gliscor, or Salamence (probably the only usable ones), you pretty much NEED Zapdos/Char-X/Lando/Megamence/Thundu/Ray/etc. in your team. The best choices for me are Thundu-T and Lando non-T because of Specially Offensive presence (which you don't have much off, bar Toge and some others) and straight-up immunity to Electric.

Edit: Totally forgot about Altaria. Also, gonna start testing out Megamence on flying as soon as the next CQ.
PotatoBlaster

View user profile http://...

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:20 am

Flying is one of my most favorite types, and I use a bulky Defensive Lugia on my warlord team. Pair Multiscale with Calm Mind, Roost, and then two coverage moves and Leftovers, and you've got a huge bulky sweeper who is very difficult to overcome. I really love my Lugia, so try him out if you've got the chance!

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MoniStar on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:37 am

Ahh I knew someone was going to say Lugia x.x

I would use it, but I've just been teased, taunted and called names every time I do, so I stopped.

I quite Like Thundurus-Therian, It's got great Special Attack, Nasty Plot, I often use a Life Orb for even more big damage, you can swap in on an electric Move, which can heal off any Stealth Rocks damage that he might take upon entry, and he can learn lots of good coverage moves like Focus Blast, Dark Pulse, Flash Cannon, Grass Knot, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, so he can be suited to take out what weaknesses your teams have.

I've Recently started to Experiment with the Normal Thundurus, since it's a little bit faster, in exchange for special attack (Plus he gets a small boost in Physical attack if you wanted that). But he also gets Prankster, which means he gets Priority Nasty Plot in addition to Priority Thunder Wave if you see something with Unburden active or a Scarf going wild. However I haven't had alot of time to test this out... so yeah x.x

I would be testing out Mega-Salamance, but I don't think i'm really good enough to use him effectively enough to help with the 'Suspect test' =P

MoniStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PotatoBlaster on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:45 am

If the opinions of others are stopping you from using it, then use it. I mean, I use Swellow over Staraptor in monoflying XD. Speaking of Thundurus...

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Usual moveset in my opinion, two Prankster moves plus dual-STAB coverage.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Knock Off
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower

Mixed Thundurus is a real thing, if ever your team is weak to Chansey, Blissey, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, etc. Substituting HP Flying for HP Fire may be able to defeat Scizor/Ferro, though I haven't tested that yet.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Three-move Thundurus-Therian. Take out its counters (y'know, things like Latias), let it sweep, ggnore.

I'm just wishing it had a better flying move. Air Slash, maybe? ;-;

Last edited by PotatoBlaster on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Totally didn't forget nature+evs on Th-T)
PotatoBlaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoniStar on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:52 am

Yeah, I often just Forgo a Flying move on Thundurus since I'll have a lot of other Flying moves on other pokemon. Is it really that useful for it?

Yeah if he had a Better Flying move I'd use it on Therian over Dark Pulse probably -
As much as I don't like posting my Pokemon and stuff (Believe me... I need every single advantage I can get..), This is the Thundurus I usually use:

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 160 HP / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

I haven't Min-Maxed the EV's and stuff... I just gave him a bit more Bulk so he can live hits that would usually OHKO him, Plus Nasty Plot helps to boost his lessened Special attack (Even though it's still very high like this).

And Don't worry Potato, I used Swellow Over Staraptor for ages on my Flying Mono's =P
And yeah I guess I shouldn't let them get to me, It just got annoying needing to politely ask them to stop over and over x.x

MoniStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:58 am

No. Thundurus-Incarnate is not good on Mono-Flying, as it is not "all-powerful" like Rayquaza or Lugia and does not sport an immunity to any type you are weak to.

Thundurus-Therian, on the other hand, is a decent pick for Mono-Flying. However, it's middling speed prevents it from really being a good Nasty Plot Sweeper. I don't really like the set that MoniStar provided.

I recommend Choice Scarf Thundurus-Therian, if that is the legend that you really have your mind set on.

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Hope it works out for you.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MoniStar on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks, I'll take your Moveset into consideration Galom.

The Main reason why I stay away from those like Rayquaza and such, is because I like to have a team that, despite us being allowed to, has no Uber-tier pokemon, so I can use it in regular monotype should I desire

MoniStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PotatoBlaster on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:20 am

Uber/legend/mega spots were made for uber/legend/megas, and monotype is different with this. Flying has a niche in mono with genies+megacharx (Er, I think. I'm not really into mono-meta), and Conquest Flying (that I've seen) usually has Lugia, Rayquaza, or similar things. I'd recommend making a different team for monotype and conquest, as they're- although alike- completely different.
PotatoBlaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MoniStar on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:48 am

Yeah, The main reason why Flying is so good in Monotype is how many good OU Legends it has. Conquests severely limits that =P

Interestingly enough, I had a well known Flying User from the Monotype room, Tell me the pokemon they would use, if they could only have one Mega or Legend, but they could be uber, and I got quite an odd team

MoniStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:13 pm

I think any Pokemon with Gale Wings should go up to Ubers/Legend, at least for CQ. It is a very OP ability in many situations. Aerial Ace wouldn't be needed for Pokemon like this.

Also, i'm just curious, why is Talonflame banned in teams? I understand the Gale Wings part, but other than that, why?
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Dragonite99 wrote:I think any Pokemon with Gale Wings should go up to Ubers/Legend, at least for CQ. It is a very OP ability in many situations. Aerial Ace wouldn't be needed for Pokemon like this.

Also, i'm just curious, why is Talonflame banned in teams? I understand the Gale Wings part, but other than that, why?
Because you know, Fletchling is just so OP.

No, sorry. I never see Fletchinder or Fletchling getting the boot to the Ubers slot. Fletchinder isn't even used that much, since it doesn't really do anything for Fire or Flying except allow them to smash the types that they already can even easier. Besides that, it's p much useless against neutral types and absolutely has to set up an SD before it even wants to consider dealing some reasonable damage.

Talonflame occupies the Legend/Uber/Mega slot because it made games against Fire or Flying literally impossible to win for any type weak to Flying. Also, because it's banned in Monotype, and CQ's banlist is based on Monotype's.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Galom wrote:
Dragonite99 wrote:I think any Pokemon with Gale Wings should go up to Ubers/Legend, at least for CQ. It is a very OP ability in many situations. Aerial Ace wouldn't be needed for Pokemon like this.

Because you know, Fletchling is just so OP.

No, sorry. I never see Fletchinder or Fletchling getting the boot to the Ubers slot. Fletchinder isn't even used that much, since it doesn't really do anything for Fire or Flying except allow them to smash the types that they already can even easier. Besides that, it's p much useless against neutral types and absolutely has to set up an SD before it even wants to consider dealing some reasonable damage.

Talonflame occupies the Legend/Uber/Mega slot because it made games against Fire or Flying literally impossible to win for any type weak to Flying. Also, because it's banned in Monotype, and CQ's banlist is based on Monotype's.

ah, i do see some logic. well, when i meant Gale Wings POkemon, maybe specifying final evolutions or something would be useful XD

and okie
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GamerA249 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:57 pm

I use Lugia cause its nice to have an extremley defensive wall, because there are many physical attackers, yet its sp defensive so it blocks about all its weaknesses. Also flying types have many attackers, like togekiss, they also have great hazard makers like gliscor and hazard removers like mandibuzz with defog, Though I chose Lugia cause 1 it is a nice wall, 2 Mustilescale+Roost... 3 Toxic helps out if you ran out of pp in Aeroblast 4 Aeroblast has a nice crit chance 5 Lugia is defensive/Sp defensive a icicle spear shell smash cloyster brought Lugia down to half health with out mustlescale, this is my opinion so do what you want Smile
GamerA249

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top