[Roleplaying Discussion] How to Make the Most of MM (savour dem magical cookies!)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Roleplaying Discussion] How to Make the Most of MM (savour dem magical cookies!)

Post by ~Sun~ on Mon May 02, 2016 3:33 pm

A few things about hosting.

I've seen far too many hosts not tell the killers who their partners are, and it's just irritating to see the killers kill each other, which also ruins the excitement of having the killer role, which is about survival and deception.

Have a poll ready or at least make sure your poll slave or co-host can make a poll quickly. My personal plan is to make the straw poll while the host is talking with every participant on it. Wait until someone dies and take their name off the poll and replace it with the last person on the list, removing their name from the bottom. People will be blown away at how quickly your poll was up!

Less sadistic or host characters, please! I'm not forcing you into using something original, but your participants will appreciate someone who won't laugh and take out popcorn as the framed Absol gets crushed by a boulder falling from the heavens.
~Sun~

View user profile http://tinyurl.com/SiteSun

Back to top Go down

Re: [Roleplaying Discussion] How to Make the Most of MM (savour dem magical cookies!)

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Mon May 02, 2016 3:59 pm

~Sun~ wrote:A few things about hosting.

I've seen far too many hosts not tell the killers who their partners are, and it's just irritating to see the killers kill each other, which also ruins the excitement of having the killer role, which is about survival and deception.
I'm quite surprised about this, I'm VERY sure that ordinary murder mystery ALWAYS let the killers know who is who
I think what you have seen is a Murder Mystery that's quite different, like those gameshow Murder Mysteries that's #1 trend for the said roleplay.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samtendo09 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 am

Here some do's and don'ts I will share with you (correct me if I'm wrong)...

1: Try to play as an obscure Pokémon. This is because almost no one would predict all of the moves of such Pokémon, and I got never suspected when I was playing as a Swalot. Make sure that the obscure Pokémon, innocent or killer alike, to not have a movepool too predictable.
2. To increase unpredictability, use a Move that wouldn't exactly fit your Pokémon or is not used as often by this Pokémon. Who would expect a Hariyama using Whirlpool?
3. An innocent idiot would be one of the most likely target of the killers does to their obnoxious nature. If you intend to be deliberately idiotic, change the personality or at least make it act considerably smarter.
4. An idiot that is an actual killer, on the other hand, would surely annoys the innocent too much and will suspect you quickly.
5. Do not examine your own murder as the killer, unless you know that the move you used is not very known or not often used by your Pokémon.
6. Don't say "good riddance" about a poll killed innocent (whatever your OC hated him/her or not), otherwise it would make you look callous, to the point of being mistoken has the killer.
7. If you are an innocent and tried to prove innocence and try them to listen to you by saying that you are not the only one who could use the move, use a last parting word, harsh or not, such as "If I'm dead and then proved innocent, then it will be a wake-up-call for all of you!", or if they already failed to find even one killer, "Start being smart and stop jumping to conclusions, or else we would all be dead by the killers!"
8. Speaking of which, never jump into conclusion. Be aware of who can use which move, try your best to deduce what move it could be, and savvy up when you see that a suspected and poll killed Pokémon is an innocent all along. This is unless if you are a killer, unless if you wanted to be conniver and convince the others to accuse an innocent.
Samtendo09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenrir Aesir on Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 pm

I cringe at my old post(s). They're relevant (somewhat) but dear lord. I can barely stand finishing it. I'm sure that in 8 hours I'll cringe at this post too.

If you're not a murderer and have been very vocal about your thoughts on who to vote, and those thoughts have been consistent for a while, I would recommend taking a second look at them because it may be the case that you're being kept alive to push a misvote (followed by you looking suspicious once you have no opinions on everyone else).

95% certain I've mentioned this somewhere, but killers, please make sure to be contributing (misinformation is great!). One of the top tells of someone being a killer, in my opinion, is when they don't contribute to the search and then, when asked, have no opinions because they've forgotten that they're supposed to be trying to look innocent. And don't be afraid to suggest a vote on an ally (in my opinion again), especially if you're sure it won't stick. You get the benefit of an "I told you so, why would I do that as their ally?" You also open yourself to a barrage of circular logic, so I don't recommend abuse of this.

@Whirlwing: This also screams out to everyone else "I'm a killer looking for good moves to use!" unless the hosts asks for Pokemon from everyone post killer-picking. Speaking of which, people should be deciding before the selection process if that's what the host is asking for.

@Cave_Hamster_Cubone: Sad truth about auth being suspected for being auth. It shouldn't happen and if there was a way to ensure-well, there is, but I don't know if that's mute worthy and I'm not in a position to decide.

Sun's poll comment is good. It deserves praise and to be framed. The same goes for Sun's host/characters comment.

Agreeing with Allyson(Ninetales) that the default should include killers noticing each other. You run into serious balance issues otherwise.

Also going to respond to the above post.

1/2: This is important. And good. Obscure Pokemon+more obscure move+people not bothering to check every possible move that could have caused a death=happy murderers. Obscure moves are more important in my opinion, since most people will RP as a Pokemon they enjoy and nothing should stop you from wanting to either.

3: Primarily subjective in my opinion depending on who the killer is. Someone who is borderline trolling might get voted up as policy, effectively giving the murderers a free misvote while they kill an actual threat. They also might get killed quickly as policy.

Alternatively, the murderers might kill off the "serious people" who are doing things and leave the living to flounder about with nobody except perhaps a murderer or two to lead them. Always fun.

They're also generally annoying to RP with, so it's rarely fun for anyone involved.

4: Valid point. All of the above applies, minus the "killed quickly" thing. (Nearly went on another tangent here about specific games I've played in, but that's not relevant.)

5: Very much against this. If possible, examine every murder you can. It's a good chance to seem like a helpful leader. You should already be using "vague" moves that are hard to identify and learned by many Pokemon (cutting/slashing moves work, as do Bite and Crunch depending on the host's description).

6: Character building/development tbh. Some characters are callous-yes, reacting in such a way to a murder is a bit unrealistic, but this isn't a Tennessee Williams play psychological realism. I'd personally be more suspicious about the ones who try to be everyone's best friend and go into tremendous detail with their grief-especially if it gets to a point of "I can't focus on finding the killers, I need to cry!1!!1one!1one!"

7: I don't think this works in practice. If anything, it has the opposite effect because you're moving from logical arguments to emotional appeals, which are usually seen as a "final defense" murderers resort to when they've given up.

8: This is vital. It's the basis of the RP really, but still vital.

I'm going to (try to) actually join and RP in the next MM I see and not secretly play on an alt since I'm trying to re-integrate myself into the PSRP community. So, uh...I'll see how this holds up and edit as such, I guess. I did well before in it.

Fenrir Aesir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top