[RMT] Ghosts That Set Fire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[RMT] Ghosts That Set Fire

Post by StarDragon on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Though I talk about competitive strategies a lot, I don't really battle competitively as much as I'd like to, haha. I dunno if I would say I'm really good, but I think I'm decent. I created this team as a Ghost Knight- I guess. I kinda rushed it but it seemed to be pretty solid for the most part so I figured I'd see what you guys thought about it.

Kole

Held Item: Banettite
Ability: Frisk/Prankster (When Mega Evolved)
Nature: Adamant (+Atk/-SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

Oh boy, is MBanette underrated or what? Personally my favorite mega evolution, I outfitted it with a set that seems to be used by quite a number of people, or so I've seen. I poured 252 EVs into it's HP, as MBanette isn't the bulkiest pokemon by any means- I at least want to see him live to see another turn or two. 252 Atk is pretty obvious, though I've considered running a more specially based MBanette at times I decided to take advantage of it's best stats for this one. Shadow Sneak is a pretty obvious choice unless you're running a Trick Room team- then Shadow Claw might be a better choice. Shadow Sneak is STAB priority, it allows MBanette to hit pretty hard. Sucker Punch is for coverage- it's strong priority coverage. I feel like I don't need to explain myself much there. Will-O-Wisp is a fantastic move that not only gets priority with MBanette's Prankster but also cripples physical attackers. I find that burns are good for damage over time on any Pokemon that isn't fire type. Lastly we have Destiny Bond, for when MBanette meets his inevitable doom. But before the doom part, Destiny Bond to take the attacker down with you! Very useful if the rest of your team may have trouble with the Pokemon that takes MBanette down... and useful in general because it KOs the opponent's Pokemon and that's p much the goal.

Boo

Held Item: Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
Nature: Careful (+SpD/ -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 100 Def / 152 SpD
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis

Though I could only find the small sprite, this Gourgeist is actually super-sized because super-sized Gourgeist rocks. For the EVs I took a friend's advice and first put 100 in both Def and SpD- then put what I had leftover (after Atk and HP) into SpD so that Special moves wouldn't obliterate her too quickly. Leech Seed combined with Leftovers provides for pretty good recovery, added in Will-O-Wisp to further annoy physical attackers. Leech Seed damage combined with burn damage proves to be pretty annoying- added Seed Bomb for an attacking move as well. Use Synthesis when HP gets low to really seal the deal and increase Gourgeist's livability. Really good at draining opponents and crippling teams by taking down their HP little by little.

Hototo

Ability: Prankster
Nature: Calm (+SpD/ -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Oh Prankster Sableye, what a standard set you have. I split up his defensive stats pretty equally since I don't plan on using an offensive Sableye any time soon. Recover is a pretty good move on Prankster Pokemon- unless your opponent has a priority move and is faster than you, it allows you to get in some HP recovery pretty much instantly when you have a safe turn to recover. Foul Play is real good on sableye, allowing it to get off some good damage on physical attackers. Taunt to block the opponent from setting up entry hazards and boosting their stats. Will-O-Wisp for priority burning, good for crippling physical attackers (as I've said like three times before) and getting off damage over time.

Meow

Held Item: Wide Lens
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+Spe/ -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hex
- Hypnosis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power (Fighting)

Even though Knights cannot use MGengar, I would still choose MBanette over MGengar any day.
Anyway, this is a pretty risky set but I've tried it once before and it's pretty reliable if luck is on your side. First off, wide lens to increase the accuracy of hypnosis as much as possible. You're gonna need if you want Hex to do it's job well. Hex still gets STAB, but putting an opponent to sleep and rendering them useless while you wail on them with a powered up Hex combined with the STAB boost is brutal. Giga Drain provides good coverage and recovery if the opponent wakes up and gets a hit off on you- or if you take a hit before putting the opponent to sleep and need to heal up fast. Hidden Power Fighting is pretty much coverage for dark types.

Shen

Ability: Mummy
Nature: Bold (+Def/ -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 4 SpA / 128 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Toxic
- Hex
- Protect

Did somebody call for a bulky ghost? To be honest I didn't really know what I was doing with this guy at first. I still don't know what I'm doing with him but gosh dang I tried. Calm Mind raises his special defense, the lower of the two defensive stats, so that opponents cannot take as much advantage of his lower special defense stat. It also raises his special attack stat so that Hex can do more damage. Toxic is better damage over time than will-o-wisp is, and also covers the fact that half of my team's burn happy movesets are crippled by the presence of fire types. Hex is.. well.. you know. Not only is Hex his only attack move, but it is powered up by Toxic- if one of the opponents is already burned or put to sleep though, it still works just as well. Protect is just to stall for time really.

Alma

Held Item: Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+Spe/ -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Behold the team sweeper. Mismagius is actually pretty good. Slap a life orb on it, get set up time to use Nasty Plot and raise it's special attack to brutal levels, sweep. While Nasty Plot is pretty obvious, you may need a free turn in order to use it well. I'm not sure Mismagius has the defenses to tank more than one or two hits tops. Well, it's special defense isn't too bad but it's physical defense? Nope, forget about it.
Anyway, Shadow Ball is standard STAB damage, combined with a Nasty Plot boost it's sure to do quite a bit. Dazzling Gleam is coverage, mostly for dark types but fighting and dragon types be damned as well. Destiny Bond is in it's last slot for if she is faced with a physical dark type or tanks a hit and is about to faint it's pretty useful for taking the opponent down as well to make room for another team member to come in and pick up the pieces.
StarDragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [RMT] Ghosts That Set Fire

Post by Lux Gracetail on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:11 pm

At a quick glance, I notice you are missing one of the greatest assets to Ghost. The presence of Aegislash is a valuable asset to any Ghost team, and I highly recommend you use it.

A Lucario in a longcoat. . .  How dangerous could he be?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

Lux Gracetail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDragon on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:05 pm

I am actually very against using Aegislash as not only is it a floating toothpick, but I try to use Ghosts that aren't used as much (I guess with the exception of Sableye and Gengar?).

If I think it's necessary to swap out one of the weaker members for Aegislash, maybe I will if I find that one of them is exceptionally disappointing to me. But so far that hasn't happened.

But I have considered using it once or twice.
StarDragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Gracetail on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:29 pm

StarDragon wrote:I am actually very against using Aegislash as not only is it a floating toothpick, but I try to use Ghosts that aren't used as much (I guess with the exception of Sableye and Gengar?).

If I think it's necessary to swap out one of the weaker members for Aegislash, maybe I will if I find that one of them is exceptionally disappointing to me. But so far that hasn't happened.

But I have considered using it once or twice.

Could I please see some replays?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

Lux Gracetail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDragon on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:50 pm

This might be because the server is down, but I honest to god cannot find them.

I looked up replays under the name I used when I fought both of the battles with that team that I did (The name I used was Dex (Ghost boi)) and they aren't showing up.

You're welcome to try and find them yourself looking up replays with that username but it's just not working. Maybe because the name isn't registered?
I hope this doesn't seem like a convenient coincidence because I by no means mark it as one- especially since I've only played two battles with this team.

Honestly though I feel like Shen isn't doing as well as he could be. I think I may need to tweak his moveset but if I cannot find a place for him then maybe replacing him with Aegislash may be in order. But I would rather try again with him, changing his moveset and such if he isn't working out.
StarDragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Oooookay. First thing is first, Lux is 100% right that you're making a mistake not abusing Aegislash. It is simply a much, much better Pokemon than, well, anything else you have on your team. I highly, highly recommend you replace Cofagrigus with this Aegislash:

Aegislash @ Leftovers / Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Secondly, you're making a mistake using Mega Banette. Even if they do completely different things, Mega Sableye is probably Ghost-Knight's best option right now, whereas Mega Banette is, as much as I hate to shame your "favorite Mega," pretty terrible. Mega Sableye, on the other hand, is an amazing win condition and is honestly kinda OP in Monotype, since it's incredibly hard to take down without a Fairy-type move, and in Mono, not every team can carry a Fairy-type. I recommend this set:

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Will-o-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover

This thing can absolutely demolish teams that don't carry a Fairy-type move pretty damn easily. You can just casually go to +6 without worrying about being forced out or Poisoned, since Magic Bounce sends them all away.

Also, you really need something to set up SR. I can't recall any Ghost-type SR users off the top of my head, but there is surely at least one.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Gracetail on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Galom wrote:Oooookay. First thing is first, Lux is 100% right that you're making a mistake not abusing Aegislash. It is simply a much, much better Pokemon than, well, anything else you have on your team. I highly, highly recommend you replace Cofagrigus with this Aegislash:

Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Secondly, you're making a mistake using Mega Banette. Even if they do completely different things, Mega Sableye is probably Ghost-Knight's best option right now, whereas Mega Banette is, as much as I hate to shame your "favorite Mega," pretty terrible. Mega Sableye, on the other hand, is an amazing win condition and is honestly kinda OP in Monotype, since it's incredibly hard to take down without a Fairy-type move, and in Mono, not every team can carry a Fairy-type. I recommend this set:

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Will-o-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover

This thing can absolutely demolish teams that don't carry a Fairy-type move pretty damn easily. You can just casually go to +6 without worrying about being forced out or Poisoned, since Magic Bounce sends them all away.

Also, you really need something to set up SR. I can't recall any Ghost-type SR users off the top of my head, but there is surely at least one.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Golurk, as well as Arceus but that's irrelevant.

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch / Fire Punch / Ice Punch / Dynamic Punch

Well, gets coverage for quite a few important types, such as Dark, if used with Drain or Dynamic Punch, Steel via Earthquake, as well as filling the niche of setting up stealth rocks, being the only Ghost type able to do so.

Lux Gracetail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDragon on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Golurk will actually make a nice addition to the team and while I have found Cofagrigus useful (As he just steamrolled a team before with just Hex after some set up time), I'm very much willing to try him out too. (Especially because of stealth rocks)

Shaky on the other two especially since I don't want to be replacing half of my team (Though I'd be changing Hototo up rather than replacing him.) but I'll see what the Golurk switch does for them.
StarDragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDragon on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Welp. I was swayed.

Not only did I add in Robocop (uhh, golurk. Though a stealth rocks user is a must, I muuust say), but I did decide to try out Aegislash. Except I put a little spin on the usual physical set and gave him a special set instead.

Robo-Cop (Golurk) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake

I pretty much just used the set that Lux recommended and it's been doing rather well. Sometimes he pretty much just faints right after setting up SR, but usually that's all he needs to do. If he tanks a few hits and can stay in, he is pretty powerful and does very well for me either way.

Alastor (Aegislash) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Autotomize
- King's Shield

Autotomize is a pretty good speed boost though I probably should've invested more in speed if I'm gonna be using him as a fast sweeper. So far I haven't needed to and King's Shield is good to fall back on especially if the opponent is using a move that makes direct contact.
Aegislash's defenses are already great in shield form as it is, so I gave him max HP so that he has the best chance to sponge a hit while he uses Autotomize.
I also outfitted him with the Weakness Policy so that if he does tank a super effective hit while using Autotomize, his Special Attack gets a boost (as Aegislash has no SpA boosting moves as far as I've seen, then again there aren't many of those.) which allows him to absolutely slay.
Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are pretty much your standard STAB moves.
StarDragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Don't run Automize Aegislash unless you're running double-dance. Here's double-dance Aegislash:

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- Autotomize

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDragon on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Well, if you're sure. Gave him Shadow Sneak in place of Autotomize for priority... Which is pretty much the entire set you suggested earlier. Which I'm fine with anyhow.
StarDragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Galom on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:07 pm

No, don't do that. If you are gonna run SD Aegislash and not Double-Dance, just run max HP EVs and no Speed. I specifically set up the Speed EVs so that you outspeed Talonflame after an Autotomize unless it uses Brave Bird, which you resist.

Room Owner
Room Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDragon on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon