{Guide} How to host Conquest

View previous topic View next topic Go down

{Guide} How to host Conquest

Post by Articuno on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Conquest Hosting Guide

I know, I know, you might think Conquest hosting is easy because all you do is keep track of types/alliances/knights and whatnot. As someone who used to host Conquest every time it was on, and as probably anyone who's hosted can tell anyone who hasn't, it's not all rainbows and unicorns. In this guide, I'll go over the basics of hosting, common obstacles that pop up, and how to overcome them.

Typecalling

We've all been there - you're about to start type-calling and someone PMs you beforehand trying to reserve a type. Obviously, this isn't allowed. It's up to you what to do at this point; many hosts say "you won't get the type if you PM me in advance", which I guess is one way to go. Another option is to tell them to try again when you actually call their type.  

When you actually are type-calling, make sure to have timestamps on - to the second. This allows you to keep track of who PMs you first (especially if you're calling three types at a time, though I recommend sticking with calling one at a time to ensure accuracy). If by chance two or more people PM you at the same time and you can't distinguish who PMed you first, use !pick and no one can complain.

How to turn on timestamps: Go to the gear in the top right and click it. You'll see a box that should look something like this: 
See where it says "Timestamps in PMs?" Just click and choose the [HH:MM:SS] option and timestamps will now appear in your PMs.

Keeping Track Of The Document

Being a Conquest host means you're probably going to be bombarded by PMs. Don't worry too much about the people nagging for you to "hurry up and update the stupid doc!" Make sure that you're putting the correct information down and take your time when sorting through PMs. Just... don't take thirty minutes to type call, because that makes the entire room unhappy. 

An issue that I've run across is that people say their Conquests in the chat rather than PMing you. Don't be afraid to periodically give a reminder to PM all Conquests or new developments, because otherwise people start arguing about what actually happened and why you didn't see it and all kinds of nasty stuff. 

Many hosts also do a role call, in which Lords have a certain time limit to PM the host to show that they're still here and not afk. I highly recommend doing this. I also suggest that you give at least a ten minute time limit. Why? Some Lords may be in battles at the time and will not see your announcement because it will have scrolled off the page. Try highlighting them or calling the remaining types that haven't PMed you. After that, feel free to vacate their positions. 

But what if...

• The Lord/Lady comes back a minute after their type is gone? Give it back to them.
  • The Lord/Lady comes back a few minutes after their type is gone and someone else has already taken it? You gave them plenty of time to PM you, and they didn't. It's just one Conquest and it won't be the end of the world if their type is lost.
  • The Lord/Lady has two knights and both want to take the throne? Tell them to spar with their knight teams or work it out somehow.

Rule Disputes

I'm sure a lot of hosts have had to deal with this scenario: There's a conflict about what to do when a team was invalid, people start getting really angry and start insulting each other, and the RP devolves into a lot or arguing. Well, as the host, you will probably be the one to tell people what to do if something like that happens. The first thing is to make sure you know the rules of Conquest. Everything is listed here and if someone tries to tell you otherwise, they're lying. Do not get taken in by common misconceptions. 

Secondly, use common sense. If someone forgot Talonflame counted as a legendary and the battle hasn't started, let them make adjustments to their team. Don't be a hardass and say "OMG YOU LOSE!1!1!" That's not what a good host does. However, I'll provide a list of common complaints and what to do if you ever get asked that question.

Situation: Someone is using an illegal team!
Solution: Go into the person's battle, check to make sure that the team is illegal, and then look at how long the battle has lasted. If it's the beginning, ask the person to change it. If it's the middle or end, tell them to finish the battle. If a person complains to you about an illegal team but only does so after they're losing/have lost, it likely means they noticed it but didn't want to point it out until they were in a negative situation. Note: Some people will still win against an illegal team despite an inherit disadvantage, and if that happens, allow the win. If the person using an illegal team refuses to change, tell them they must change their team or their kingdom will be forfeit. Additionally, if the person using an illegal team is midway/finished with the match, tell them to change their team for the next one. If they use their illegal team again, their kingdom is forfeit.

Situation: The Lord/Lady is leaving and they don't have any knights, but they've conquered a few kingdoms. What happens?
Solution: If the Lord/Lady wants to give their kingdoms to an ally, they must say so before they leave. If they do not say anything, their kingdom and all kingdoms they have conquered are now open for the taking. As per the rules, defeated warlords may not reclaim open kingdoms.

Situation: -username- is being mean to me! They keep going into my battles and insulting my team.
Solution: Harassment of any kind is not tolerated. Report any rude behavior to the staff. This includes calling people salty, acting passive-aggressively when you win or lose, etc. Sportsmanship should be common sense.

Situation: Kingdom A challenged Kingdom B first, but Kingdom C is challenging Kingdom A at Kingdom B... what do we do?
Solution: Kingdom A arrived at Kingdom B first, so they have every right to go through that challenge first. Whether Kingdom A loses or wins, they will be on a cooldown (unless Kingdom A is conquered). Kingdom C can wait that duration and then challenge Kingdom A afterwards. Remember, there is no rule stating you can only challenge a kingdom in that kingdom's territory, so if you "happen" to bump into someone you want to challenge, you can.

Situation: Is -insert Pokemon here- banned? It's banned in OU...
Solution: Conquest goes by Monotype rules. Just because a Pokemon is banned from a different tier doesn't mean it's banned in Conquest. Always check the rules to make sure you know what is and isn't banned so people don't fool you into thinking a certain mon is banned.

Conclusion

Hosting Conquest can get really hectic because of the many rules and disputes that arise from them. It's more than just being a document slave; it's your job to direct the participants in the right direction and make sure that everything is running smoothly. Always, always refer back to the original document if you're unsure, and remember that common sense is your best friend. Since Conquest is such a popular RP these days, I hope this guide can be of use to anyone who aspires to host or has simply had problems doing so. Lastly, should you wish to know the answer to any situation that is not presented above, feel free to PM me on here or PS. Good luck!

Last edited by Blue Kitteh on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: {Guide} How to host Conquest

Post by MoniStar on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Thank you so much for this Blue, you have no idea how much this'll help, be be able to direct them straight to the issues in the "Rule Disputes" Section. ^^

MoniStar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neon Nights on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:27 am

Arti, I have a question. I had two rule disputes not listed here.

1. Kingdom A had got challenged by Kingdom B and Kingdom A had one knight. When Kingdom B defeated the knight, while battling the lord, Kingdom A got another knight and there was a whole fight about if Lord B should challenge the knight.
2. Kingdom A is challenged by Kingdom B. Lord B beats knight. Lord A flees kingdom. Is this legal? Lord A said "I WAS AT KINGDOM C ALL THE TIME NEON DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME OPEN YOUR EYES SHEESH" and again, until I got him into fighting Lord B, we had a war.
Neon Nights

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Articuno on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:16 am

1. Thanks for this question, it's been one that I've had to answer multiple times but it didn't occur to me. The attacking Lord is only required to battle the knights that the opposing lord had during the time of Conquest. Therefore, if Kingdom A only had 1 knight, the lord of Kingdom B would only have to fight one.

2. Kingdom A is being overly ridiculous and is attempting to bend the rules of roleplaying to avoid the purpose of the RP. They must accept the challenge or they will automatically lose their kingdom.

Room Owner

Crascking the ban whip
Stop stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top