League of Legends Discussion Thread! (magical cookies included :3)

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: League of Legends Discussion Thread! (magical cookies included :3)

Post by Rico on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:41 pm

I strongly recommend everybody learn how to jungle at some point. It doesn't have to be your main role, but as a jungler myself I do prefer my team-mates to have realistic demands. If I'm bottom getting a double kill while you're being ganked top, you can't say I'm doing nothing. I'm just helping the useful players.

Anyway, if you've already bought her go ahead and learn how to play her in the jungle. Although I don't recommend following them to the letter, mobafire guides or other such sites can be a very good way of getting an idea about what you're supposed to do with a champion. In Rek'sai's case, you're generally supposed to be a big ol' brawly tank who wades in to the middle of the team for a knock-up with her unburrow. Give her a go, fuck the haters... but make sure you have a rune page set up for it first. Rune pages may seem like nothing when you're starting out, but it can be very difficult to jungle if you do not have an appropriate rune page. Most pages run some combination of armour, attack speed and some damage which is all to help you complete your first few clears and set up for when your items start to take effect.

So yeah, go ahead and learn how to jungle it's a very good skill to have, but make sure you read up on what your champion does, how you're supposed to use them and especially what runes you should be using for them. Once you learn, you can deviate from this or do something completely different, play to your playstyle... but until then stay safe.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlazzah on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:20 pm

I do agree with Rico that learning how to jungle is a staple, as even if you don't like it after learning you'll at least know what your and possibly the enemy's jungler do or are about to do and can take that experience to your advantage. However, for lesser experienced players there are junglers that are meant to 'babysit' you while you learn jungle routes, etc. Such champions include things that have a lot of sustain or high early-game AoE damage, as well as being relatively easy to play, such as Warwick and Shyvana. Granted, they aren't the best early game gankers, but when you're inexperienced you wouldn't gank that well in the first place, so I find these champions better to learn the jungle.

And on the note of rune pages, I don't think they are that important as most rune pages for every champion carry Armor Seals, and at least for me that tends to be more than enough to survive the early jungle. I myself have only 2 rune pages, one for standard AD champions and another for standard AP champions, and I haven't had much trouble surviving. Of course, if you have more than 2 rune pages it's more than recommended to have jungle-specific runes to better learn how to jungle.

Vlazzah
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:03 pm

I actually disagree that Warwick and Shyvana are good champions to learn the jungle with. As you say, there's very little danger for Warwick especially who can just wander around and clear, but there's also very little presence he provides. You are forced in to a single style that does not permit you to learn. Amumu, Zac, Rek'sai, Sejuani, Volibear, Hecarim, Rammus and a few others I can't think of. These are all very safe junglers that can also provide map presence before you reach level 6. Learning how to provide pressure around the map is what jungling is all about.
When you start out jungling, work out what "clear" you need to do. Some champions full-clear their first jungle, some do starting camp > Buff > Other Buff, others do camp > buff > camp > buff. It varies from champion to champion.
On most champions that don't need 6 to gank, your 'level' to start actively looking for ganks will be around 3 or 4, when you have all your abilities (and possibly one at level 2). All of the champions I listed above have some form of crowd control, a way of getting in AND some decent damage.

IF you don't want to be a 'ganking' jungler, there are options for that too. Master Yi, Kindred, Jax, Graves, Kayle and again, some others as well. These champions scale very well and will generally clear their jungle quite quickly. You don't need to gank with them (although Kindred wouldn't mind), you need to get strong.

If you want to branch out there's also some less conventional junglers like Kog'maw, or harder early clears such as Fizz, Wukong and Vi.

The point I'm trying to make is that you should play what you want to play, not what you've been told is easier for you or is really strong. Find out what you enjoy and play to that. You're not playing ranked, if you lose it's not the end of the world. Try new things, pick up a champion that everybody says is hard and go "Huh, that was actually really easy". Or suck, doesn't matter, have fun. There's easy champions out there that I cannot play for the life of me, but some of my best champions are the ones labelled by pro players as "Difficult".

I've been playing this game since beta, back when we didn't have a jungler every game and your adc was always mid. I don't usually talk a whole lot about things like this but just wanted to get it out there that you should always play what you think will be fun, not what you think will be easy. Enjoy the fuck out of Draven, or play Nasus and press q a lot. Doesn't matter if you're new, if you learn now you'll be better for it.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlazzah on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Rico wrote:I actually disagree that Warwick and Shyvana are good champions to learn the jungle with.

I was honestly surprised to hear this at first, but after the points you gave and looking at the games I've played with her, I can't do anything other than agree. I've been struggling to do anything pre-6 with Shyvana other than counter ganking lanes.

And about the learning the jungle talk, I think the best way to 'learn the jungle' is to play several different roles within the jungle, such as farm-heavy junglers, gank-oriented junglers, etc, so that one can have an idea of what every type of jungler will aim to do in a game. I don't know if this is the correct way, but it's what I personally believe to be the best way. Not including the fact that, as stated, people should play the champions they find the most fun with, of course.

Vlazzah
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:38 pm

I started learning jungle with Kindred, actually, because I just couldn't play Warwick at all. That was back before they got huge nerfs, destroying their jungle game. I really hope that they do something about this because I absolutely love playing them, and I don't use them for ADC very much...
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave_Hamster Cubone on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Egh, literally just downloaded the game now. Any tips? I used to play DoTa2, so I understand terms like ganking and shit, but even then I was crappy at it.
Cave_Hamster Cubone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:19 pm

Play, play and play some more. There's 132 champions, all doing something slightly different (so a little more than what DotA 2 is currently at).
Key differences between DotA and LoL:
No denying creeps
You don't lose gold for dying
There is no dodge/miss chance (kinda)
You can go back to base at any time for free.
Everybody can blink/flash once every 300 seconds due to the summoner spells.
ALL champions have some degree of scaling on their abilities, utilising either Attack Damage (physical) or Ability Power (magical). With very few exceptions, AP ONLY works for abilities, so mages can actually be more than just a support when you hit late game if they're lacking specific scaling tricks.
Also, Magic Resist is a stat that is identical to armour, just works on magic damage.

There's a bunch of other changes but other than that the games are very similar. Pick champions you enjoy. Metagame is currently Brawler/Tank top, Assassin/Mage mid, ADC bottom with a Support, Tank/Assassin/Carry Jungler (Ideally what your team is missing but usually what you have an oversaturation of)
Are there any heroes from DotA that you particularly enjoy? There is a lot of overlap between the games if you go looking for it, such as Pudge and Blitz or Clockwerk and Amumu. I haven't played in a while but I still kinda know what most folks do.

One thing about league: You need to reach level 30 (summoner) before you can really play properly. The time it takes to level to 30 should give you a good idea of the changes between the two games and let you pick a few champions you like. League requires you buy champions either with IP (earned by playing games) or RP (earned by throwing money at your computer).
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave_Hamster Cubone on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks!
Cave_Hamster Cubone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlazzah on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Another thing that League has that is crucial to the core gameplay that DotA 2 doesn't have is the rune system / mastery system, which basically is (mostly) small upgrades you can give to your selected champion before the game.

Starting out you don't have to worry about these, as the rune system is only generally useful starting at a summoner level 20, which is when you're able to buy tier 3 runes, and the mastery system is generally useful starting at summoner level 18 which is when you're able to unlock your 'Keystone Mastery', which is basically an extra, decently powerful passive ability that any champion can use.

If there's a tip I can give, I'd say you save some IP that you get by playing the game so you can later (at level 20 or above) buy runes. You start off with 2 rune pages and you can fill those two starting pages with standard AD and standard AP, as either one works for the vast majority of champions to a degree. If you want to know what's the standard, just say the word.

Trying out new champions via the weekly champion rotation is another thing you can do, as you can see which ones you like to play, and if you really like a certain champion, then by all means go ahead and buy him/her/it.

Vlazzah
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:04 pm

So glad we have a newcomer! Another friend to chat about League with. :')
I haven't played Dota myself, but I've seen footage. It's quite similar to League from what i deduct.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm going to correct you slightly on rune pages by saying that since relatively recently tier 2 runes have become worth it, as they now cost 1 IP. They're not as good as having a rune page of tier 3 runes, but they are better than nothing and don't really cost anything.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cave_Hamster Cubone on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:22 pm

I guess I'll post this now

Summoner Name: Fiyah Crew CHC
Fav champs: Just Garen as of now.
Server: North America
Greatest achievement as of now?: Ehm... Does winning v a bot count? yaaaaay
What annoys you the most?: Not noticing the time and starting ten minutes before tea.
Anything else?: None of the heroes really are as fun to play as Garen imo. Not sure if that is his real name, the one who gets like a ton of defense by killing stuff and has a sword spinny attack, that one. I Jjungle with him or go bot usually, but I'm new so I'm probably wrong.
Cave_Hamster Cubone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Yes, that is Garen. If you really like his sword spinny attack, you should learn Katarina whose ult is somewhat similar. Although I heard she is getting/had a rework, so I'm not sure if that affected her spin in anyway.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruella on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:10 am

Garen seems like a basic dude to me. Same w/ tryndamere and all that so I avoid them. I'm in love w/ quinn since i played her on free rotation so I'm saving up for her. Do you guys have any suggestions for champs who are similar to like ahri/quinn?
Cruella
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonite99 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:14 am

I love Ahri so much. :') <3 So fun to play.
The first thing that comes to mind is Yasuo because of all the dashes , but right now everyone really hates him. Annie is kind of a long shot but she does have C.C. on her and pretty spammy abilities. She can just build slightly tankier than Ahri. Both of them can have Rylai's as a pretty valid object and I used to build it on Ahri all the time when I was first starting out. Now I'm trying to get back into that. ^^' Another one is Lux, whom I also play. She's got the stun and her ult can catch out those stragglers who're running if you can land it just right. Nothing like ulting and not realizing there's an enemy in your path, landing you a double kill.

I don't play a ton of adc but...how about Jinx? I'm not sure how close she is to Quinn in terms of playstyle, but she is super fun to play.
Dragonite99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top