Re: What you don't like in the RP room?

Post by Cave_Hamster Cubone on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:21 am

Huerule warriors reference ALERT
Cave_Hamster Cubone

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spade Magnes on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:40 am

Kingdom. I'm not going to say the full thing here because I don't think there are very many publishers taking 10,000-page manuscripts but I'm going to lay out the basics:

Kingdoms are heavily focused on popularity/aesthetics-- I lost with a perfectly functional Kingdom doc once because the host was well-known (Can you say 17 to 2?). I'm still rather pissed about that but I digress. Basically the point is, Kingdom's one of the most unfriendly RPs around. People will vote on docs that look pretty and are run by someone popular (The person I lost to being a Voice didn't help, and is actually one of the reasons I saw this point fit to bring up, aside from it being actually relevant). I can see where they're coming from, but really, it's just fucking silly, to put it in flattering terms. I remember when Kingdom used to be about actual content-- if your doc was well-laid out and functional, winning was a cinch. It just ain't the same these days. A doc can work seamlessly, but if there's no pictures or pretty colors, or you're not well-known, then it's a lot of time and effort gone to waste. Something I'm not fond of- and I don't think I'm the only one.

TL;DR, Kingdom is no longer an RP, but a glorified Keynesian Beauty Contest (A rose by any other name smells just as sweet-- or in this case, a cowpie by any other name is just as much bullshit), and I don't think that sits well with the people who actually came here to have fun. Seriously, I think even the trolls are having more fun than some of the people here at this point, and we all know what they do.

Disclaimer: No, I didn't write this out of spite-- I actually created the doc I lost with as a test to see if any claims I could make about aesthetics were verifiable. It's solely because of the absolutely crushing advantage that I decided to write it up here because hey, when else am I gonna get a lucky enough break to be able to write this ludicrously and be honest?
Spade Magnes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:16 pm

I just want to say this regarding the host polls in general, and that's:
You reap what you sow.

A long time ago, we looked at host polls and whether we should make them anonymous, or do something else to help lesser known hosts become nominated. At the end of the day, we decided not to purely because we want the power to decide on a host to be in the hands of the users. Somebody can write a stunning document and still be an awful host. Similarly, someone can host an amazing RP with barely even a document to show. Thus, the most important thing for people to know is the host itself. Out of all of the things a host brings, they are the one that can make or break the RP. Not their document or anything else.

Yes, it makes it difficult for somebody new to hosting to get in to it, take that as incentive to prove that you can run a good RP. Make a name for yourself.

And yes, this makes it all something of a popularity contest, but why are these users popular? In the case of voices, yes. It's mostly because they have a symbol on their name so they MUST be good. While this isn't necessarily true, we do take note of good hosts and roleplayers and give them voice if they meet some of our other requirements too, so there is some merit there. For other users, those people are popular for the same reason. They run RPs that people enjoy.

You want to know how these people get voted in all the time? Ask them. Talk to them about it, learn from them because you are never too good to learn from another roleplayer. I've been at this since before some of our users were born and I am far from perfect.

Sorry if this was a bit of a strong response to your vent but we get this complaint a lot, and it's getting really old.
tl;dr: Yes, it's a popularity contest. People are generally popular in this room because of their RP.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spade Magnes on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:08 am

First off, it's alright. As long as I get something objective and nothing else, I don't mind the wording. Second of all, I haven't really thought about it that way-- and I definitely haven't thought about the whole "learn from them" thing.
Spade Magnes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Fri May 27, 2016 7:50 am

What I don't like in the room is how bad bandwagons happen. Like how gasps and stuff when you lose in battle or you suck at rp and then the not helpful nor friendly comments afterwards. No I'm not looking for sympathy, I am looking for respect because I'm a human being no matter what I say in chat. I also hope those band wagon people realize that.
Next is the inferior thing. I hate it when people judge someone so hard when they're totally inferior to them, instead of helping the person flourish their talents they just throw the person some ugly comments and the person of course would think they're not welcome and they just leave.
You can question someone about their judgment, but telling them outright that their judgment is TOTALLY wrong makes you worse.
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruella on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:51 am

me: Reduce the ooc now
person: (( peter ur a loser also i think mei is the best overwatch character. last ooc))

no. I dont want your last ooc.
Cruella
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AlephZer0 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:31 pm

When people RP with incorrect grammar.
It's fine to use incorrect grammar if it's, say, part of your OC, but when people do something like,
"Your(sic) insane that would never happen"
It just bugs me as a grammar nerd.
I think this is just a personal issue but I just can't stand it when people mess up homophones(your/you're, et cetera) or omit punctuation. It ruins the effect of what the person is trying to say, not to mention the fact that it makes him or her look rather daft.
</nitpicking>
AlephZer0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Levi(S.Liepard) on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 pm

AlephZer0 wrote:When people RP with incorrect grammar.
It's fine to use incorrect grammar if it's, say, part of your OC, but when people do something like,
I think this is just a personal issue but I just can't stand it when people mess up homophones(your/you're, et cetera) or omit punctuation. It ruins the effect of what the person is trying to say, not to mention the fact that it makes him or her look rather daft.
</nitpicking>

That's not really something to complain about. It happens with a lot of people who are just learning to write or even people who are professional at writing tend to screw up sometimes with grammatical errors. It's something that you can't really escape from unless you're roleplaying with a person who you know that definitely won't make that mistake when roleplaying. What I normally do is just automatically correct it in my head, as correcting someone repeatedly for this would be tedious and would probably be seen as annoying in others' eyes, if not in yours. If they continually make the mistake, you can correct them once, but try not to do it multiple times for these reasons.
Levi(S.Liepard)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall De Vos on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:22 am

AlephZer0 wrote:When people RP with incorrect grammar.
</nitpicking>

While I understand where you're coming from ( especially since grammar torment is something I react iffily to aswell ), this isn't really anything the RP roomauth can fix for you. We can't go around and ban people because "their spelling and/or grammar isn't one hundred percent pinpoint accurate." PS is a PG-13 site, and we should see it as that. Plus, not everyone can speak or write English well, respectively has it as his/her native language. Errors are bound to happen if something isn't your native language, and we should tolerate those, mind you that this comes from someone who is not a native English speaker in his own right.

Last edited by Marshall De Vos on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgetting things.)
Marshall De Vos
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AlephZer0 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:34 am

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be fixed by the room auth... Mainly I was venting, with the hopes that maybe someone would see it and make more effort on their grammar.
If this thread became a thread for anything other than venting (in other words actual action) somewhere in the 10 pages I didn't have time to read I apologize...
Embarassed
AlephZer0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 pm

Yeah, if you were looking to have something actually fixed you'd probably do better to post a suggestion. This thread is just for venting. I'm inclined to agree I find it really annoying when people use particularly awful grammar. There's some things I'll ignore, it's a difficult language. Others, not so much.
Rico
Room Owner
Room Owner

Swinging the Ban Hammer
Keep Stalking.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sceptile Named Energy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:45 pm

When people bitch in chat about something similar to: Dying in MM/GvE, Losing in CQ, Not having any friends on to RP with. You can do that in your own PMs with, /msg [Your username], [message]. The whole chat doesn't want to hear you complain about petty things like that. Or at least, I don't
The Sceptile Named Energy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:08 pm

When someone who's open tells you their plot is closed after one person...

Actually, when you're not the person who had an open plot and you close it.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spyke (Gallade) on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:33 pm

What do I hate about main? Well, "dude you can't RP as hoopa you need perms" has become my 9 least favourite words in the English language thanks to how constantly people seem to think it's their job to annoy me with them.
Spyke (Gallade)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotom's Pokedex on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:26 pm

I absolutely cannot stand those who roleplay as eggs- Pointless, per se.

I try my best with one-liners too, but it is hard to work with. ohmygod.

hi, i'm no longer active but thanks for seeing this dump, pls contact me on Pokefarm
• dump •:

Did you expect to find anything important in here? No? Just take some dancing birds.

credits to top.mailbox on PFQ for avatar
Rotom's Pokedex
Driver
Driver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top