Struggling in Freeroam? Tips for describing, getting noticed and forming plots.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Struggling in Freeroam? Tips for describing, getting noticed and forming plots.

Post by Milli on Fri May 01, 2015 7:52 am

Note: These tips that are being presented should not be looked at as rules. These are simply ideas that have helped me enjoy myself in freeroam!! I-I hope you find it helpeful, somewhat. x///x

Hii guys! We've all undoubtedly had a time in freeroam where we have been denied, god-modded or downright exiled into the lonely spirit dimension by being ignored, even when our OC (original character) definitely exists in the right fabric of reality. Perhaps some of us have also been the perpetrators of these actions, either intentionally or unintentionally. No matter the case, it's unfair and suppresses those who are not only looking for enjoyment, but to improve themselves as a role player.  As the most popular role play in the room, we should be making the most out of Freeroam and celebrate it for the depth of creativity it can inspire within many RPers, unparalleled in this aspect due to its blissful lack of structure - a feast for our imagination. Anyhow, I hope you find the following tips which I have collated from my freeroam experiences  helpful to your own freeroaming in the future!

Description
Describe, describe, describe! This is the hardest but most rewarding aspect of role playing in freeroam. Description is what fundamentally separates a good role player from an average role player. It is easy to say.. "The eevee walked to the tree," but it is not easy to describe aspects of that Eevee's personality and feelings through that same action. How do you achieve this? Use your senses. What do you smell as you walk? What do you hear and see?! Is that the cool breeze on your fur/skin..? The teasing taste of hunger on your tongue?! Of course, it would be silly to try and incorporate every sense into every one of your actions. Sometimes you just want to walk to that tree, there's nothing wrong with that, however it is good to find that balance between stating an action and making it interesting. This balance can only be achieved with practise, so don't stress yourself too much, It's not like I've found that 'balance!' Proceeds to describe the cellular structure of the leaf she is observing, imagining the epidermis and the chloroplasts as she smooths her finger along it. T-Too much... Anywho! People are naturally attracted to players who are able to describe their actions or emotions in pretty ways. Remember, you don't have to reach the word limit on every one of your posts to achieve this! Every player has their own writing style, some like to pour out their heart, others prefer to be concise, but concision is different to laziness. Here is an example where the use of senses can come into play..

Squirtle: bubbles drizzled out the corners of his mouth as he resurfaced, breaking the refreshing water which soothed his skin as he took a greedy gulp of air, the sound of trees waving in the mild breeze capturing his attention. Above, the sunlight seeped through the thick forest and tickled his nose with its warmth.

Utilising your senses well gives your role playing that extra layer to make it more interesting to read and allows the plots you develop to generally be more vivid.

Choice of words
As well as considering your senses, it is also good to note the choice of words you use to describe your character, and how your character perceives its surroundings. By focusing on word choice, it is possible to convey aspects of your character's personality without making it unbearably obvious. Let me show you what i'm trying to say...

Eevee: pranced over to the tree, her tail dancing in the air behind her as she blinked in anticipation, her gaze focusing onto a juicy berry which sat slightly above the rest.
By using specific words like 'pranced' and 'dancing', we can already tell that this particularly Eevee is energetic and high-spirited without saying it outright. It can simply be deduced just from how she walks over to a tree. Cool, right? But Milli! What if I want my Eevee to be less happy-go-lucky and more kill-if-enraged. Again, it's all in your choice of words!

Eevee: slinked through the dark shadows of the trees as her eyes feasted upon a berry which dangled slightly above the rest. A low snarl escaped her almost salivating lips as she edged closer to the tree, her paws crushing the twigs beneath her feet with a calculated cruelty.

Same action, completely different personality. There are so many variations of the same action you can experiment with in order to achieve an accurate portrayal of your character.

What you choose to describe and put emphasis on depends on the character you have chosen to role play as. Having never made a horticulturalist OC, there is no reason for me to describe the molecular composition of a leaf and stuff.. which leads me to my next point!

Plan Original Characters
.. And make your freeroaming life so much easier! Before rolling into the role play like a speed-boosting scolipede, juuuust think for a moment. Who are you? Many players enjoy making separate documents for their character biographies which is extremely helpful in sticking to a particular personality and reflecting this in your role playing. Personalising the character you have chosen plays an important role in attracting the attention of other uses. Do your best to find that niche - that single thing about your character that separates it from the others already role playing. Know your character. What are they driven by? How do they talk? Effusive and warmly? Shyly? Devoid of emotion?! Who are they more likely to interact with? If anyone at all? These are the some of the questions you should be asking yourself as you step/roll/fly/swim/other into freeroam. Having a solid OC personality does not only give you a good chance at being noticed, it also allows the plots you build with others to be rich and generally more enjoyable. As a general tip, you will find it easier to role play as a character that relates to your actual personality. As one gains more experience, it becomes easier to slowly stray from your personality and even attempt the complete opposite! However, I still believe its good to have a trace of who you are in every one of your characters. It gives them something familiar, something that makes you know its yours. Remember, you may not see it yourself, but the more you participate in this role play, the more your own skills improve. Being able to effectively convey who your character is through their actions is a skill that only comes with practise! Even freeroaming veterans know that this is a skill that cannot be mastered. No matter your experience in roleplaying or writing style, there's always room for improvement.

Learn from others
Emphasis on learn and not copy. You'll be surprised at how much you can learn from other role players by just watching freeroam, particularly focusing on the way they describe their actions, progress a plot and interact with others. There's nothing wrong with saying to a fellow player, "H-Hey, I really like how you described feeling embarrassed! It even made me blush IRL..." Drawing upon terminology used by other members and embedding it within your own role playing is a great way to improve the depth of your character. This does not mean stealing another character's identity which does not belong to you!

Sample ideas for describing. Note: These ideas are heavily influenced by my writing style, the main idea i want to convey with these is that there is plenty to do with seemingly simple actions, without explicitly mentioning them.

Appearance? (Alternatively, feel free to share an actual image of your character as you role play!)
- Lacia waltzed through the Metropolitan city, adjusting her tie which was pinned to a white shirt and coated by a tight, dark blazer. She smoothed a hand over her ivory, pleated skirt which rested just above her knees, it waved slightly in the breeze.

Mannerisms!
- Marcus laughed..? Marcus scoffed heavily as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. A condescending and sarcastic laugh, which finished most of his sentences.  
- Myra blushed..? A faint, yet intensifying splash of pink would form on Myra's burning cheeks as she twiddled her fingers nervously..

Don't just walk...
- Weavile darted through the forest, his movements mere shadows.
-Oceana crushed the twigs beneath her feet as she stepped through the forest, almost marching, her gaze fixed on a point in front of her determined eyes.
- Furret nervously wriggled through the tree branches, her tail held close to her body as her eyes scanned the surrounding undergrowth.

Your character has thoughts too!
-The Pikachu felt sad..? Pikachu felt numb, unable to remain standing as he dropped to the ground below, a pain that seemed to sprout from his heart beginning to spread throughout his body. Had she honestly just left him? What about the children..

Getting noticed
Tricky for some, a breeze for others. Why? A combination of how interesting your role playing is, your respect towards others, the availability of other role players and who they feel comfortable with, and pure luck. It isn't all luck though, there are various things you can do to conveniently position yourself into a plot without appearing forceful and rude, which usually provokes others to ignore you.

Awareness of your surroundings
Good opening lines are vital! A common mistake many role players make in attempting to join another plot is basically dropping right into the center of a group, sometimes literally. Even if said group would absolutely love to have you in their plot, 'dropping' straight into it simply makes it awkward and really difficult for that group to welcome you realistically. Rather, you should be aware of the plot that is ocurring and figuratively (sometimes literally), circle around their plot, searching for an opening to safely join. As a  rare exception, a surprise appearance may be a characteristic of ones character, however, this tendency should be explained by the owner of the character as to why and simply how they introduce themselves like so. As with everything, an example usually helps to explain things:
Tentacruel: "Listen.. Goodra. I've.. been meaning to tell you something. It's just that I..---
Houndoom: fire blasts tentacruel

No, no, no. This is simply disrespectful! Unless you specifically ask the Tentacruel if you would be allowed to interrupt this intimate moment as being your introduction to their plot. Communication is key. It is advantageous to have the group/person that you are trying to role play with be aware that you are wanting to join them, by dropping them a private message before you introduce yourself. In the meantime, you can try things like..
Tentacruel: "Listen.. Goodra. I've.. been meaning to tell you something. It's just that I..---
Houndoom: maneuvered silently between the trees surrounding the Tentacruel and Goodra, a glint of cruelty passing briefly in his beady eyes as his tail whipped the air menacingly. He could feel the urge to cause trouble, a burning sensation swelling within him.

Now how respectful is that? You are not imposing yourself upon others, you are simply acknowledging their presence as a polite request to join them!

So we've been talking about ones entrance into freeroam. This can be done in many different ways and is, like all things freeroam, restricted by your imagination.  

As a side note, the other extreme regarding 'awareness' in freeroam is simply being detached from everything and everyone around you. If your OC has a desire to remain solitary due to an anti-social persona, that is perfectly okay! However, you should acknowledge that this type of personality makes it difficult for others role players to interact with you and therefore should not expect others to know how, or want to break down the emotional barriers surrounding your character, if you won't interact with them in the first place!

Hey! You there! Yes you! I'm talking to the plot-owner who is encountering another role player wanting to join. You are not exempt from being aware! As a respectful member of this community it is simply nice manners to either, 1. acknowledge the other role players presence and welcome them into your plot, or 2. politely decline their request to join your plot, providing a reason as to why right now is not a good time.

Yes, it is okay to decline someone from your plot, however, this must be done in a fair and civilised manner. It is not fair to tarnish someone's courage and effort by insulting them or blatantly ignoring their presence. In all honesty, it's common sense. There is someone on the other side of that computer screen, so in the most cliché way possible, think before you type.

Joining the right group
Another good point to bring up is to use your judgement on whether the group you are attempting to join seems to already consist of 'enough' role players. Often, trying to merge with a group who is already struggling to keep up and interact with its amount of members, results in being ignored. In this case, the role players usually do not mean it in an unkind way, it is just simply too difficult to progress a plot with any extra people. You can check this by simply PMing one of the role players you are trying to interact with if it is manageable for you to join. From my experiences, I find that roleplaying with just 1-2 other people is the easiest way in having a successful freeroam. However, just because it is the easiest way does not mean it is the best, and through practise you will find the benefits which come from role playing both with a  pair and being with a large group.

Be resilient! It's impossible to expect that in every freeroam you will be plopped into a plot at the 0:00:1 mark of the role play. More often than not, it simply just won't happen, and that's okay. You shouldn't let the bad experiences you have had in freeroam deter you from the possible future amazing plots and friends you can develop from this role play!

Forming a plot
Ever noticed those one or two role players that just immediately stand out due to their remarkably interesting plot ideas? These players generally already have a great description of their character, and pair this with a goal for their character. A particular desire or mission for that freeroam. Another common entrance to freeroam is the 'wandering aimlessly' approach. This approach relies heavily on being aware of your surroundings and finding someone's else's plot rather than starting your own. If you are thinking of starting a plot, you should not be afraid to test out even the wildest plot (common sense still applies) that you have conjured within your mind, for it actually could be something completely inspirational~! Technically, you could be role playing in Giratina's dimension or in a lost, underwater city. Just because Freeroam has a forest doesn't mean you're restricted to eating berries or staring at your reflection in the lake. I am not suggesting that you should abandon the forest landscape, in fact, I've never tried straying from it. However, the option is there if you so wish. After all, freeroam is a role play that has no structure and is completely reigned by your imagination.

Preparation
It is not realistic to just waltz into freeroam and go with the flow, expecting to be plunged into a magnificent plot blessed with romance, adventure, action and tragedy. Forming an interesting plot is a difficult thing, and requires the attention and preparation of all involved. What do I mean by preparation? Simply thinking ahead. Sounds simple right? Yet you see many plots decline in interest as its members simply don't actively think about what to do next. Having that certain goal in your character is a really easy way to progress a role play, as other role players can aid you in achieving it. Bam, a plot. You can add complexity by not revealing your desires and intentions to the person you are freeroaming with if that is the type of character you are, perhaps using more of your internal thoughts. Of course, at many times you may not want to involve yourself in a 20-dimensional plot that could form a trilogy of novels. That's equally okay! You can still find the same enjoyment in participating in freeroam with a shallower yet attentive mindset. 'Go with the flow' is entirely fine in forming a plot, however, the depth of this plot is more likely to be stretched into becoming tedious if one is not careful.

Being open-minded
This links in with being aware of your surroundings in the way that as you are actively thinking about your plot, it is advantageous to have your mind open about what you can add to it. For example, is a Kricketune humming just a few trees away from where your plot is already taking place? How does this impact on what you are already doing? Is there a possibility for combining your plot with that of the Kricketune's? Naturally, it is unrealistic to try and combine your plots with others constantly, however, this is a good way to spice up a story line. Use your judgement on whether trying this out is unnecessary and will crowd a plot or make it more interesting. Make sure to discern how close other role players are to your area too! Examples are always fun..

Tiko(Trainer): "Hey, Jay!" he calls out, rummaging through his bag to find his pokeballs. This was his chance, he would defeat that snobby trainer once and for all!
Jay(Trainer): "Heh, you don't know when to give up, do you?" he chuckles, sighing in pity for the worthless trainer standing before him.
Sceptile: rustles through a few branches to collect some Yache berries. Those pesky ice-types wouldn't stand a chance now! Hah!
Jay(Trainer): "..Oh? Did you hear that?" he tilts his head, his gaze focusing on a tree that had been shaking slightly. Glancing upwards he noticed the Sceptile in the tree. "Whoa, look! It's a Sceptile!"

An open-mind also means not controlling the actions of others to force them into how you want your plot to play out. How can you make sure you're not doing this? One. Magical. Word. Attempt.
Gliscor: glides through the sunny skies, a cheeky grin on the pokemon's face as his darting eyes search for any mischief he can cause down below.
Milli: freezes the Gliscor and abducts him, taking the pokemon to the summit of a snow-capped mountain.
No, Milli, no. In this case, the poor Gliscor has no option in whether he wants to accept the plot or reject it. Milli is being selfish and isn't considering the plot that the Gliscor is already in or wants to create.
Let's use the magical word!
Gliscor: glides through the sunny skies, a cheeky grin on the pokemon's face as his darting eyes search for any mischief he can cause down below.
Milli: notices the Gliscor soar through the sky above as she conjures wisps of frozen energy directed at the pokemon, attempting to freeze the Gliscor in its place!
From this point, the Gliscor has the option on whether he decides to be frozen or dodge and fly off. Having an open-mind leads to having many options, which subsequently leads to more vivid plots and more room for creativity. Umm... are you silly, Milli? Does this mean I have to attempt to do every single one of my actions in freeroam?! No, it does not, a-and don't call me that! This word is only necessary when first interacting with another role player and your action impacts the future decisions of them significantly. If i'm casually chatting with a Gliscor, I don't need to 'attempt' to hug him, or 'attempt' to hand him an Aspear berry. Again, use your judgement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that's all I have to ramble on about for now! I'm keen to hear on what you guys think a good freeroam consists of. Perhaps you could contribute some of your valuable insight as to what really makes this role play shine. Additionally, feel free to give me feedback  or add to the points I've already raised. Happy freeroaming~!!! flower
inb4 TL;DR WHERE??
Milli
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggling in Freeroam? Tips for describing, getting noticed and forming plots.

Post by Divine Aerial-Noivern on Sun May 03, 2015 3:12 pm

This is a good post, and I think many users will reflect on it. Good job!
Divine Aerial-Noivern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Struggling in Freeroam? Tips for describing, getting noticed and forming plots.

Post by Allyson(Ninetales) on Sat May 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Hm...maybe i should give FR a second chance...time to had in my OCs and RP!
Allyson(Ninetales)
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Milli on Sat May 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Divine Aerial-Noivern wrote:This is a good post, and I think many users will reflect on it. Good job!

Thankyou! I really do appreciate it ^w^
Milli
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Milli on Sat May 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Allyson(Ninetales) wrote:Hm...maybe i should give FR a second chance...time to had in my OCs and RP!

Go Allyson/Hyperion, Go ^-^~!!!
Milli
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuffle The Ampharos on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:34 pm

This is why I hate not having English as my main language, it's used everywhere and I don't know all the words ;-;
Shuffle The Ampharos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neon Nights on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:23 am

Shuffle The Ampharos wrote:This is why I hate not having English as my main language, it's used everywhere and I don't know all the words ;-;

What's your main language?
Neon Nights

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Aerial-Noivern on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:30 pm

I'll get back into FR, or at least try to.
Divine Aerial-Noivern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux Gracetail on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:37 pm

TL;DR WHERE?!

Ahem. On a much more serious note, fantastic guide. Um... Not sure what else to say. It's just comprehensive and fantastic.

A Lucario in a longcoat. . .  How dangerous could he be?

Credit to Blue Kitteh for the Official Staff Banners and credit to Irraquated for the personal banner.

Lux Gracetail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fraction on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Yeah well, time to enjoy FR once more! *trumpets blare*
Fraction
Voice
Voice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreaming Asriel on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:12 am

Lux Gracetail wrote:TL;DR WHERE?!

Ahem.  On a much more serious note, fantastic guide.  Um...  Not sure what else to say.  It's just comprehensive and fantastic.

Furthermore, Lux, it helps the newer users to the room to get right into roleplaying.

And I swear on the good name of Not Here All Night, if you "TL;DR WHERE!?" this again and I shall attempt to smite thee with my ultimatum crossbow and Chandelaxe.
Dreaming Asriel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Letter E on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:01 am

TFW even the TL;DR is long

Note: These tips that are being presented should not be looked at as rules.

Description

Spoiler:
·The hardest but most rewarding aspect.
·Separates good roleplayers from average ones.
·Can be done effectively by using the 5 senses:
 -touch
 -taste
 -hearing
 -sight
 -smell
 {Don't have to use all 5}
·Find a balance between stating and enlivening, don't over do it
·Achieved mainly through practice
·Being descriptive draws in others to participate
·Do it in your own writing style

Choice of Words

·Using more descriptive and specific words
·Possible to convey information about a character without directly saying it
·Similar actions can be described to show different personalities
·Achieved through experimentation and practice

Plan Original Characters

·Think: "Who are you?"
·Know your character and how they would act in certain situations.
·Stick to their character and reflect it in your roleplaying
 -May help to create biographies in separate articles
·Having solid OC personality can:
 -Let you be noticed more.
 -Make for more vivid and rich plots.
·Easier to roleplay as an OC that has similar personalities to you in real life.

Learn from others

-Not copy
·There's a lot to learn from others
·Observe how they:
 -describe their actions
 -progress a plot
 -interact with others
·Great way to improve the depth of your character.

Getting Noticed

Spoiler:
·Must be done without forcing yourself on another roleplayer or by being forceful.
 -It's rude after all.

Awareness of your Surroundings

~Joining~

·A common mistake that's committed is dropping in right into the center of a group RPing
 -Makes for awkward situations and difficulty to welcome them realistically.
·Be aware of the plot that is occurring and search for a good point to join.
·Do not interrupt any roleplays.
·Have the roleplayers be aware of your intent of joining.
 -Can be done with a Private Message
·Use an opening line. Don't impose yourself upon their plot.
 -This will have them decide whether or not to acknowledge of your presence.

~Receiving~

·Acknowledge then presence and welcome them.
·OR politely decline their request for joining the plot.
 -It is okay to decline someone, but must be done politely and in a civilised manner.

Joining the right group

·Judge whether a group has 'enough' players.
 -No definite quantity, but usually 1-2 partners.
   {Can be increased with familiarity and/or experience. Practise!}
·Don't give up.
 -Bad experiences of the past shouldn't deter you from potentially great plots. ((Heard that, Vinny?))

Forming a plot

Spoiler:
·Great plots are the product of great roleplaying of great characters who have a goal.

Preparation

·You can't expect a random plot to become a great one with elements of every little genre out there ever.
·Think ahead on how the plot will progress and work towards that.
 -Plots decline because its members don't do this.
·Having a certain goal is useful to progress a plot.
·Not revealing desires or intentions can add complexity to a plot.
 -Remember that going with the flow is also an option.

Being open-minded

·Allows the merging of plots
 -If a separate plot is occurring close by, how does it impact your actions? Can the two plots merge?
 -Spices up plots
·Also means not controlling another roleplayer's actions.
 -This can be avoided by using the word "attempt".
  {This gives the receiving end the option of letting you in or keeping you out.}
  {Attempt should be used in only a few instances. Use common sense to decide that.}

You're welcome.

Last edited by Letter E on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 am; edited 5 times in total
Letter E

View user profile http://im-not-a-nerd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydre(Hydreigon) on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:27 am

Just because I can...

TL;DR WHERE?

Also, good guide, props to Milli for that x)

sig links:

Hydre(Hydreigon)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuffle The Ampharos on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:40 am

Neon Nights wrote:
Shuffle The Ampharos wrote:This is why I hate not having English as my main language, it's used everywhere and I don't know all the words ;-;

What's your main language?
Dutch, actually.
Shuffle The Ampharos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A Cursed Mightyena on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:53 am

Woah. Much detail... such inspiration to do FR once more, even after quitting the room four different times. I'll try when I can next catch it.
A Cursed Mightyena

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top